• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jardim Botanico Rio de Janeiro

Brian

I was in Rio two weeks ago for a very brief trip and was able to visit the botonical garden for a few hours. I would like to share a few photos with you guys and please correct me if I make mistakes. Here goes,

Roystonea oleracea

Picture272.jpg

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

And finally...for the moment,

Calyptrocalyx Forbesii  (who comes up with these names!)

Picture251.jpg

I hope my little Wal-Mart Areca trianda grows up to be as pretty.

A while back, a TV commercial for some drug or another was running--happy couple with an avenue of very tall palms.  I figured it must have been at the Rio Botanical Garden (another, for eyeglasses, used Brasilia as a future setting).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Nice pictures Brian, thanks for posting.

My first visit to JBRJ was a long time ago with my parents, and I remember being impressed with the Amazonic reserve area and the Victoria regia ponds...

I liked very much your pictures of the Bactris too.

Of course the Roystonea avenue, 750 m long, called Aléia Barbosa Rodrigues, planted in 1842 is the most impressive sight there. Most of these 138 palms, some of them more than 30 m tall, are descendent of the famous "Palma Mater" planted by the Prince D. João in 1808 when the Botanic Gardens was innaugurated. The mother palm died in 1972 struck by a lightning and the trunk is now exposed at the Botanic museum with its 39 m of clear wood.

post-157-1154740530_thumb.png

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

You live in a beautiful country Gileno. I had a blast in both Sao Paulo and Rio, and the peope were great.

I cant wait to go back.

Thanks for the brief history.

Brian,

Very nice, I need to visit there some day.  BTW...how big is the garden?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, the place is huge...

More information in english: Jardim Botânico

post-157-1154785303_thumb.jpg

You can try this Virtual Tour too, but the photos are not so great and the text is in portuguese.

Carl von Martius (The father of Palms classification) statue in JB Rio:

post-157-1154785788_thumb.jpg

Dear Brian,

lovely pictures with terrefic resolution.(very Clear Indeed).

And Thanks Gileno Machado do you know why ?

for posting the picture of jesus in rio & the picture of father of palm nomenclature_Carl Von.

He should be called as gurus of our clang_(palm Manicas).

Gileno you made my day.  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Brian,

I've never been to Rio, so it was great to see your photos! I've heard a lot about the Rio Botanic Garden. Incredible palms and lots of history. I wonder how it compares to Singapore Botanic Garden? Anyone who's been to both?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi, bgl:

I've been to both; both were wonderful.  I'm not enough of a world traveler to have had time to see all, so won't make a relative judgement.  

Gileno:  Thanks for the history of the R. oleracea, which are the most spectacular palm scene in my experience, and individually surpasses anything at Singapore IMHO.  Thanks for the bust of Von Martius, too.

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Jeff, I only got though about half of the place due to only having about 4 hours to spend there. (excellent Heliconia section)

Bo, I have never been to Singapore but what I liked about the Rio garden was the age of some of the plants. Some of the D. Lutescens and Bactris clumps must have been over a 100 years old. I wish I had taken photos of some of the bigger clumps but I didnt. Here you can see some in the background,

Picture284.jpg

The view of Rio from up top Sugar Loaf,

Picture212.jpg

The other Rio wildlife,

Picture241-1.jpg

Saludos,

Brian

Dear Brian  :)

A big thank-you to you and i love U buddy.

i dont have words in praise of you_keep up the good work.

love,

Kris(to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Brian!

Gileno!

Wanna samba . . . .

On my swooning sofa!

So, Brian, tell us a bit about you, unless you already have, in which case I'll docilely dive into my, well, dive . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Dave,

I was born and raised in SoCal but have lived in Mexico for the last 15 years. I live and work in Mexico City but have a vacation house on the pacific coast with about half an acre of land where I grow my palms. I have been addicted to palms for about 3 years and grow all my palms from seed due to the lack of variety here in Mexico. I started following this website last november.

Brian,

Great pictures of a wonderful place.  Back quite a few years ago when I lived in Rio I spent many hours wandering around the garden.  I believe if I remember right that the garden was developed largely for plant introductions by the Portuguese.  They brought a lot of plants to Brazil from Asia at the time.  I have been to Singapore's garden as well.  Both are great places.  What is really different is the surrounding environment.  Singapore is very clean organized place, and Rio is the opposite.  But, I will take Samba, the beaches (with it's female attractions), and futbol, any day.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg