IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alfred's nursery in Tana

bruno

This first picture shows you the way in. In the distance, on the hihest hill, you can see Tana and the queen's palace. Just behind the lake is the airport and the grey row are bismarckias in cultivation.

post-76-1151349114_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

dypsis kindreo in the ground. You cannot see how red the earth is, my camera did not catch it. Laterite.

post-76-1151349760_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

If I remember well, for a lot of you, this is one of your favourite palms. For me, I like its colour, but it is a bit straight.

Plenty of them, of all sizes.

post-76-1151350760_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

looks a bit like san diego...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Now, all the dypsis are shaded. Start the visit inside with Alfred's secretary, passing by dypsis Florencei, which does not exceed 2.5m more or less. A very pretty palm. It has a red crownshaft. I bought two of them for my entrance to the house. named after his wife.

post-76-1151351582_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A funny story for the name of this one. It is called Dypsis Betefaka. "Tefaka" in malagasy means applause. When there is wind, the palms knock against each other and it sounds like applause. Be (pronounce like bay) means a lot of. So the name of the palm in malagasy means a lot of applause.

post-76-1151352290_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Not a dypsis but Orania Ravaka. I bought this one for my garden.

post-76-1151352670_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Great pictures Bruno!! Much appreciated!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Great photos.  I actually have a seedling labeled Dypsis 'betafaka'.  I hope it turns out to be the palm in your photo, very cool.  The palms are clearly happy in their home country.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Thanks Bruno, those are some great palms!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Bruno,

Fascinating!! Thanks a lot for posting these photos. I hope Alfred is successful in spreading the word about palms in Madagascar! And I'm sure you will do your part!

Aloha,

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I like that Dypsis kindreo. I want it, and I want it now.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bruno,

Is there any chance of finding out whether Alfred supplied seeds of these palms to SoCal dealers (Ortanique, Jerry Andersen)?   Seeds of Dypsis 'kindreo', Dypsis 'betafaka' and others (Dypsis 'green boresy', Dypsis 'big fishtail') were recently available at Ortanique and Jerry Andersen was and is still selling seedlings of most of these, and they are pretty much mysteries.  I think it's safe bet that the Dypsis 'kindreo' and 'betafaka' that recently made their way to SoCal are probably the palms you have pictured, and I'm now glad I bought seedlings of these for sure.  I'd love to know what the others might grow up to be.  And also, I think Jerry might get cleaned out of some of these after everyone sees the photos of the adults.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Bruno:

A lot of "Tefakas" for you...I guess I'd bankrupt in Alfred's hands if landscaping my place there...

The florencei is neat and very decorative. Looks like a miniature multiple extended neck coconut seedling young clump. How old must those be?

I kind of fell in love with the betefakas though...I get applause from the coconuts here when it starts a breeze, but from Dypsis... must be something else...

Now we start with the xerophytes. Don't ask me for any names, Alfred was not with me that day so I could not find out what they were and the secretary knew the names of only a few dypsis.

post-76-1151436260_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Strange looking plants. In the forefront it looks like an old dried out cheese. But it makes super little flowers.

post-76-1151436402_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I really like those small, plump little "things" in a battered old plastic container.

post-76-1151436609_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

same family I suppose, but different looking, plump little figures.

post-76-1151436717_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

No leaves on this one and the tips are red. Tana in the distance again.

post-76-1151437457_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Sorry I had to reduce the image just above, because the original picture is much nicer.

post-76-1151437611_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I remember seeing some of these in the north near Antsiranana, in the "small tsinguy" region. The stem that comes out of the center can be very long, 6/8 meters, a few leaves at the end and a beautiful flower. The soil was rock, cracks in the rocks that are razor sharp sometimes. Very dry area.

post-76-1151438007_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Coming out in the palm area again with all the decaryi in cultivation.

post-76-1151438111_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Last pic of that series at Alfred's nursery.

If you don't mind, I'll post soon, on this same topic, pics of Anjozorobe, "domaine de la croix vallon", a private reserve where I was a few days ago. I saw 7 varieties of palms, small ones that grow in the shade. There is also a lemur, unique to that area, 3000 hectares saved from the fires because it has been privately owned for the past hundred years or so.

post-76-1151438413_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

amazing!!

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

As always Bruno, your contributions to the forum are priceless!

I just bought a Dypsis "Big Fishtail", and Dypsis "Kindreo" today.   I also have seedlings of Betefaka and Honkona.  To see them as larger plants is truly amazing!

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that O. ravaka?  I have a tiny seedling that barely moves.  I'd love to get a 5 gallon, but it would probably cost $500 out here.

JD

I guess "priceless" was a funny word to use.  How about "unrivaled"

Should really proof-read more...

Bruno,

I am assuming the palms that Alfred has growing in the ground will eventually be dug up and sold. Or are they mainly for seed stock? Many in this forum have remarked about how fragile Bismarkias are when the roots are disturbed. Do you have any idea if Alfred or anyone else has luck with digging and moving larger Bismarkias?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(Dypsisdean @ Jun. 28 2006,03:00)

Bruno,

I am assuming the palms that Alfred has growing in the ground will eventually be dug up and sold. Or are they mainly for seed stock? Many in this forum have remarked about how fragile Bismarkias are when the roots are disturbed. Do you have any idea if Alfred or anyone else has luck with digging and moving larger Bismarkias?

I was gonna ask the same thing.

Bruno, thanks for posting the pics.

Cheers, jam

Well, it did not occur to me that those palms in the ground would be for seeds! I thought they dig them out for clients. I will ask alfred first. I think i paid the orania something like 35 us dollars. Far from your 500!

A new topic after Alfred's nursery is Anjozorobe, 70 km from Tana, a two hour drive. This pic show you the camp, the dining room in a tent. It is a very pleasant place. They are building a "hard" restaurant that will be ready by the end of july they told me.

post-76-1151515321_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I forgot to start with this one! I had made an appointment with those two men before going to anjozorobe. They were supposed to bring me 100 kgs of beautiful red earth that I will use on some of the walls of my house. I liked their cart, so here is the pic for you to enjoy.

post-76-1151515541_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

This is what the forest looks like from the camp. It has nothing to do with Jeff Searle's forest further up north! It is cold here now, because anjozorobe is on the high plateaux, like tana. This morning it was 9°C at 7. The easterly winds are blowing hard. Winter is here too. The australians and south africans are not alone.

post-76-1151516259_thumb.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m