IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

August Weather

FRITO

Can't complain here. Generally very little temperature changes with daytime highs usually just under 90`F and night time lows no lower than 75`F. Kona's 5-day forcast goes like this. AUG 17-21

. . . . . . F . . . C . . . F . . C

Mon 87 / 30.5 . . . 76 / 24.4

Tues 88 / 31.1 . . . 75 / 23.8

Wed 88 / 31.1 . . . 77 / 25

Thur 88 / 31.1 . . . 77 / 25

Fri . 87 / 30.5 . . . 76 / 24.4

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Hi,

August is still good here to, not that warm as in France or the spring heat out Australia but it's good enough for me. Lots of sunshine and dry, maybe it's getting maybe a little to dry at the moment however I don't complaining. I started with holding records in 2006 and from that 4 years, 2009 is the driest so far.

Forecast is good with a nice 26C/78.8F for today, tomorrow and thursday we gonna reach the 30C/86F easly with 30-33C/86-91.4F forecast. Then it looks like a little cooler, however warm weather looks returning very fast with 27C/80.6F on sunday again. The night are between 14-16C/57.2-60.8F for weeks now, and that's also the forecast. Only the night between wednesday to thursday 22C/71.6F forecasted and for that temperatures for nights are not very common over here.

Sooo summer is not over here... :)

Southwest

Hot and dry.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Wet and cool, though not cold.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The forecast here just keeps getting better...

Friday Fine Min 14 Max 28

Saturday Fine Min 15 Max 30

Sunday Fine Min 16 Max 29

Monday Fine Min 16 Max 31

Tuesday Fine Min 17 Max 31

Wednesday Fine Min 16 Max 28

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

You're in our December Daryl.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The forecast here just keeps getting better...

Friday Fine Min 14 Max 28

Saturday Fine Min 15 Max 30

Sunday Fine Min 16 Max 29

Monday Fine Min 16 Max 31

Tuesday Fine Min 17 Max 31

Wednesday Fine Min 16 Max 28

Lol!

That are my summertemperatures at the moment, 31C today and nights around the 14-16C! However tonight didn't going to be cooler then 20-22C and a 33-34C over here for tomorrow and a possible 35C for the southeast of our country.

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

France is also very hot with temperatures above the 40C/104F at some places! Saint-Come -d'Olt reached a couple hours ago 41C/105.8F what is also for there a heat record. Climate changing is more and more visuable if you ask me, there have been loads of warm and heat records the last 9-10 years broken in my county but also in whole europe.

This summer going to be warmer then average again, not a problem at all for me. I hold records since 2006, and the big color is red, red and more red from higher then average with sometimes a blue color.

1782009195735.png

Southwest

I'm looking forward to next Tuesday on, when a high will move into our area, and then maybe sit to the east of us and pump warm air from the tropics down south, like what's been happening to Brisbane and the east coast at the moment. I shouldn't complain though. We're getting some consistent rain with temps around 20C and nights around 10C average this month. Last night was 14.4C min, so definitely no worries in the cold department. If only it would warm up another 2 or 3 C during the day. The clouds will have to lift for that. The UV index has come up a long way now. I think the south is starting to tilt back to the sun nice and strongly now.

Come on spring, let your warmth in. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Today was hot and humid. I passed the 34C in the later afternoon, in the southeast temperatures recorded from 37-38C! However a great day but I don't get to much rain, I guess only 1 mm. I have to check it later tomorrow, and with the rainless forecast and forecasted warm and sunny weather again dryness continue.

Robbin

Southwest

Rain rain and more rain, but I shouldn't complain. I just wish it came in summer that's all.

Tyrone

Today was HOT 34deg and almost 'sticky'. This is relatively early for build up weather, but as long as we get afternoon storm... bring it on!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Brisbane and SE QLD are boiling at the moment, forecast to reach 33C tomorrow and it's still winter according to the calendar. Inland QLD nearly reached 40C!!!!!!!! If this is how hot it gets in winter, summer may get ridiculously hot, especially with an impending El Nino which means very little cloud cover.

Over here in the SW it's soggy and cool. We could do with some warmth.

Best regards

Tyrone

It looks like El Niño is here. The dry weather over my part of Amazonia is a result the shift into this weather regime.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Well La Nina didn't give us a lot of rain, so maybe El Nino will :blink:

You are right, Tyrone... I think it is going to be a hot one!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It was 31 here yesterday, 33 today and a forecast for 34 (usually means 36) tomorrow. It is only a week since I had the heating running overnight to keep myself alive. Not much chance to get any gardening done, I am too busy handhosing everything before they wilt.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

It's going to be a very interesting and maybe very unpredictable spring summer this year I reckon. With QLD's crazy winter extreme heat, who knows what will happen next.

Best regards

Tyrone

It was 36C / 97F at home today. Not too shabby for the last week of winter. All of the plants and insects are confused...we even had cicadas chirping yesterday. Today was a new August temperature record for Brisbane AFAIK (35.4C)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

36.4 today so my guess was pretty accurate. Frogs have spawned twice in the last 2 weeks when they usually wait till november. Marsh frogs have invaded en masse so it sounds like a fireworks display outside tonight. (and I still havent prepared the ponds for the spawning season yet) I am glad I took the risk and got a head start on the spring fertilising this year. Everything was sending up new spears anyhow so I had nothing to lose if they were burnt by a late frost. Today it was too hot to venture out of the house even for a minute so I will have to be up at dawn tomorrow and water anything that looks thirsty. A couple of new palms arriving tomorrow too which is always exciting.

Peachy

27.35 south.

36.4 today so my guess was pretty accurate. Frogs have spawned twice in the last 2 weeks when they usually wait till november. Marsh frogs have invaded en masse so it sounds like a fireworks display outside tonight. (and I still havent prepared the ponds for the spawning season yet) I am glad I took the risk and got a head start on the spring fertilising this year. Everything was sending up new spears anyhow so I had nothing to lose if they were burnt by a late frost. Today it was too hot to venture out of the house even for a minute so I will have to be up at dawn tomorrow and water anything that looks thirsty. A couple of new palms arriving tomorrow too which is always exciting.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Lol..

Summer is still good here with 29C today and loads of sunshine, but nothing compared to your winter temperatures I see.

Dry here, and also this week it looks like I'm not going to get some real rain to remove some drought. Grass field showing the first signs of browning.

Robbin

Southwest

A couple of new palms arriving tomorrow too which is always exciting.

Peachy

What palms are you getting?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

August here seems to be a contradiction of terms. No rain when it should, rain when it shouldn't. High heat earlier in summer when it should have been cooler, yet an early cool front in Augusut when we should not expect it. Strange summer to be sure. Hey, it gardening, now isn't it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Peachy

I am finally going to try a coconut palm (malay dwarf ) and see how it goes, also being a glutton for punishment I am having another go at Pigafetta filaris and Ptychosperma waitianum.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy

I am finally going to try a coconut palm (malay dwarf ) and see how it goes, also being a glutton for punishment I am having another go at Pigafetta filaris and Ptychosperma waitianum.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The flying ants were out en masse today. That's a sign that winter is leaving and spring is coming in.

Best regards

Tyrone

I call them flants.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

OK... yesterday was HOT. It was 35.6deg max. Thank goodness the humidity is still lowish..(well, for Darwin anyway). The garden didn't like it though... I think the humidity needs to increase just a tad bit more. So, I turned the a/c on for the kids and me, and the watering for the plants... and everyone is happy.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I call them flants.
:lol:

Just looked at the 3 month forecast for Oz and it looks like the SW of Oz will have above average spring rainfall, above average max's and above average mins. Warm wet and humid suits me down to the ground. Now if that trend continues thru summer this is going to be one awesome growing season.

Best regards

Tyrone

A bit toasty lately after an 18-day period of no 90's. Now it's dry heat unlike the recent monsoonal humidity.

95F\ 35C

67F\ 19.4C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

This is only a rough estimate, but except for the heat wave we had for about 10 days in the middle of July, the temps. in N. Calif., both spring and summer have been running about 10 degrees cooler than normal. This is perfect palm growing weather, but I hope the trend doesn't run into winter. I did read that the water around the SF Bay area is about 3 degrees warmer than normal.

Dick

Richard Douglas

9:09 am PDT

69 degrees

22% humidity

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Still cold and cloudy. Tomorrow is supposed to reach the stunning high of 16°C/61°F, can't wait.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Cooler now with the last few days with 22-25C, tomorrow and saturday going to be much cooler with 20-21C but on monday there is some nice heat forecasted with 26-27C again. Nights keeping mild between the 14-17C the last few nights and also coming nights.

Southwest

Very hot & dry lately [too hot - today: 103F\ 39.4C]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

The weather here has been hot and dry apparently as I was in Cairns for the last week. Palms and garden looking great and starting to show some early movement. Brought back some seed but not sure on the species hopefully they germinate and get to a size that I can then identify. I would of taken photos but the camera's batteries died.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

This has been a great august for us...... Most of the month has seen temps in the low 90's f/day, and around 72-75f/night.. just perfect... it's gonna cool off though now with temps around 80f/day and 62-65f/night.. Not too bad but I know it's all downhill from here.. Palms grew like beanstalks in the past 2 months.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Whoooooooooooooooooooooo it's baking hot here in SoCal. High yesterday for me was 100F and the low this morning was 75F! That's the warmest overnight low I've seen in 8 years. It was still 82F at midnight last night. Yikes! So today is supposed to be the peak of the heatwave. I'm hoping for no more than 103F. My Pritchardia and Ficus damaropsis that burnt in 103F earlier this year were not affected from yesterdays 100F. I've watered well in preparation.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yesterday might have been the peak for many areas. Reason I believed today was not going to be the peak was the upper level high clouds you see today. It "might" keep temperatures from reaching over yesterdays clear sky bake-out ...

Way to tell is measure the temp at this time yesterday and what is the difference?

Kevin

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority