IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pohonkelapa and MattyB

MattyB

So the pohon and I are planning our much anticipated, second-long distance, PRA adventure, this time to Florida. Anyone got any travel advice? What to see? Who to visit? Where to crash? Cheap hotels in the area? What areas to stay in? What time of year? Were looking to escape the frigid CA Winter and will probably be traveling sometime between December '09 and Feb '10. Let's hear some ideas!!!!!!!!! :mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney::drool::drool::mrlooney::mrlooney::)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Oh my gosh! That's exactly the time frame that Andrea and I will be doing a complete wallpapering throughout the entire home. What a freaking coincidence ! I'm sorry we won't be available.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It takes you 3 months to wallpaper your house? Who uses wallpaper these days? I can take a hint Jeff: So you want us to help scrape the old stuff off? I'm very scratchy and can rub up against the walls if you need.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I don't know nuthin about the state of Florida. Don't ask me.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It takes you 3 months to wallpaper your house? Who uses wallpaper these days? I can take a hint Jeff: So you want us to help scrape the old stuff off? I'm very scratchy and can rub up against the walls if you need.

Ok, Ok, I just got word from the boss, she changed the dates. She wants to now throw a kick ass party in your honor and invite all forum members in the area. Frankly, I'm a little scared! :drool: But, BS Man said you guys don't drink alcohol anymore, so that's a big relief. Hey, we could do a Bible Study or something similar, I'll leave it up to you two. What kind of food and music do you guys like? Wait...you guys didn't even say that your dropping by for a visit or not. I'm getting ahead of myself, sorry. So rude of me. I'll wait for the phone call.....

PS...no BS Man coming?

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

jeff better make it the "bartenders bible"... ;)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

jeff better make it the "bartenders bible"... ;)

I'm not sure what exactly you meant, but I laughed my ass off. :lol: Sorry, my butt. But, by the end of the day, we can have both, bartenders and bibles! :lol:

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

i have a feeling both will be required.

still "warning-free."

By "cheap hotels" do you wanna pay by the hour??? :drool: We got em!

You guys got white shoes w/matching belts for the trip to Florida? You wouldn't wanta look like tourists! B)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

cant do the white shoes/belt (which is called a "full cleveland" on the west coast) but i can start working on a

comb-over. B)

still "warning-free."

cant do the white shoes/belt (which is called a "full cleveland" on the west coast) but i can start working on a

comb-over. B)

I'm sure you could borrow some of Jeff's "Palm Beach" wardrobe :lol:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

do i need to hit some salvation army stores & stock up on polyester before i come?

still "warning-free."

Don't forget your hip bags! :floor:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

we dont have the term"hip bags" here-- is it the same as "fanny pack"?

these are all very helpful comments,btw. <_<

:lol:

still "warning-free."

OMG Something exxxciting on the forum!

Dave is the master of the Florida Sleep Over PRA. Make sure you talk with Dave.

You can sleep here any night you want. Can you bring your own sushi?

Are you coming to look at palms?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I will be wearing sushi. There, does that solve all the problems now?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

If you wear sushi, Jeff and Andrea will take you yellow tail snapper fishing. :yay:

The bad news is that you would proably be the chum! :violin:

BS man has aleady met his quota for trips to Florida this year. :crying: The Great State of Florida does not permit someone who can not find the Round Up isle at Home Depot to enter the state more than once per calendar year. Florida Statute 399.043. Sorry Bill. :unsure:

Ron. :lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Theres "post December" you know.

Plus, I look like a palm trapped in sushi. I wonder where that will get me.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill - you are missing the point. You need to find the round up isle or they won't let you in. It's kind of like traveling to Cuba.

Break down and ask one of the associates at Home Depot where is the round-up. Get certification that you know where it is and Florida will let you back in. You are as stubborn as a nematode!

Ron. :lol:

Yezzz. The fanny-pak & huge fold out map of FL go hand in hand... :floor:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Hmm.

Matty & P:

Do take Ken up on his invite if you can! He's got a great place, with pool, and an acre of mouthwatering palms galore, many of which are balled and burlapped for sale. (Bring your swooning helmets -- that coral stone's hard!) He took me to a place where he was going to harvest some Gumbo Limbo trees, and fishing, and crabbing, and it was a riot! And, see if you can catch Big Dick and the Extenders over at the local bar, with a couple of nice, big bowls of Conch Chowder for like 5 bucks. And wander down lane after lane of Royals, 50-60 feet tall!

Also, try to see WayKoolPlants and Jeff's places. Both are equally incomperable! Maybe a couple days for each, to fully immerse yourself! A buffet for your California-jaded eyes.

And, hopefully Bubba will be better from his accident and be able to give you his insider's tour of Palm Beach, maybe even give the finger at the Donald . . . . .

And that's just the beginning.

I was treated like royalty over there by everyone, I got downright spoiled! Just plain old Dave on the plane home . . . .

There were many many other wonderful board members who went out of their way to show me a grand time, and my fingers are getting tired from typing, but I'll never forget any of you.

Don't forget Tampa and St. Pete, and swing by Orlando.

And, see the Royals in habitat down on the Southwest Coast by the Thousand Islands (10,000 Islands?)

Teetotaling's tough in Florida, where some places have 24 hour liquor licenses . . . . .

But, if you're only going a short time, try to hang in the South as much as possible.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Good.

Did U see the BYOS? Or we can catch some.

lets catch some!

mattyb can run pretty fast!

still "warning-free."

How are you two going to get time off from your jobs? :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

"work?" * in my best Maynard G. Krebs voice.

edit: only one "b" in krebs....for all the googlers

Edited by tropicalb

"work?" * in my best Maynard G. Krebs voice.

edit: only one "b" in krebs....for all the googlers

Somewhere my mom has a set of Bongos autographed by him... :blink:

The cheap hotel part is difficult. The worst month, the one when all creation swarms into South Florida, is March. December can be surprisingly less busy.

Winter is the Dry Season, so by March, Florida is parched, like California in October.

I regret to let the two of you know that South Florida has no opportunities whatever for surfing. Nor will South Beach's baby brother of LA's Disney Hall be ready for your visit.

You need to see royals in habitat (Collier-Seminole State Park will do; otherwise do the Orchid Thief thing and get wet in Fakahatchee Strand). Also appropriate to visit needle palms (Rhapidophyllum hystrix), perhaps at Highlands Hammock (recent Palm Talk post), the scrub palmetto Sabal etonia (no, it doesn't look like much), blue saw palmettos in habitat (Blowing Rock Preserve at Jupiter Island should have them. Otherwise, come up to Sebastian Inlet), and the charismatic Sabal minor, which lives in wet hardwood forests. On the other hand, there's feral Royals all over the place.

It's pretty Caribbean at the beaches where there's still natural vegetation. And the Keys. Gumbo limbo trees are neat because you can't mistake them for anything else (peeling bark) and because they greet you all over the Caribbean and even South America as far as Amazonas, Brasil.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

So the pohon and I are planning our much anticipated, second-long distance, PRA adventure, this time to Florida. Anyone got any travel advice? What to see? Who to visit? Where to crash? Cheap hotels in the area? What areas to stay in? What time of year? Were looking to escape the frigid CA Winter and will probably be traveling sometime between December '09 and Feb '10. Let's hear some ideas!!!!!!!!! :mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney::drool::drool::mrlooney::mrlooney::)

Have either of you been to Florida before ?

woops, that's not an idea, ah, here's an idea, how about I post two shirts (previously owned but extra clean) to you both and you can wear them in your Florida pics, aussie alohas in Southern Florida, what could be more especiolah (newly made up word by wal).

and have either of you been to Florida before ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tampa & St.Pete?

There ain't nuthin' to do 'round here... :bemused:

Just boo-bah barz...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Man you guys stir up a commotion! Just the talk of ya'll visitin set this post on fire. I think it would be cool if a East Coast West Side PRA could be arranged for a day at Fairchild. Aside from all the politics that surround these gardens they really are world class and deserve the IPS' presence. I'd take a day from work and go down to Coral Gables to play. SoFla will never be the same... Annouce your travel dates already!

Mr. DeBoe - I too would take the day off from work to assist you for our most esteemed forum members visit to So. Florida. I could contact Patrick at Montgomery Botanical Center as well for a private tour. It is just "down the street" from Fairchild. Let me know, what dates are the guys coming?

Ron. :)

Matty,

You have an opportunity!

Bring a vidoerecorder and produce your travelogue for the web! You may make stars of everyone, as long as they keep their pants on! :rolleyes:

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Man you guys stir up a commotion! Just the talk of ya'll visitin set this post on fire. I think it would be cool if a East Coast West Side PRA could be arranged for a day at Fairchild. Aside from all the politics that surround these gardens they really are world class and deserve the IPS' presence. I'd take a day from work and go down to Coral Gables to play. SoFla will never be the same... Annouce your travel dates already!

PRA, PRA, PRA :mrlooney:

go to searle brothers nursery in the southwest ranchs by miami, i dont think you can go to this place and dont buy some thing !

in the last time i go to florida i see this place with my brother he lives by miami, i wish i can buy every plant there ! (but is very hard or imposible to bring plants from united states to mexico).

miami is....ok......but the keys are the best !

cristóbal

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

How are you two going to get time off from your jobs? :)

Len, can I borrow $800? Have? OK. Thanks. I'll send you lot's of pics. Do you like fruit loops? Watermelon is softer.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

that reminds me: len you owe me $50 for promising not to talk to you at the quail sale.

i will spend it on gambling & indiginous liquors in floriduh as per our agreement.

still "warning-free."

dogpile on Len!!!!!!!

post-126-1244573931_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"