IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm leaves sacrificed

Walter John

Big decisions can sometimes be made on cutting a palm leaf or two to allow growth of others and for a better overall aspect.

Yesterday I cut away two Pritchardia leaves, still greenish, to allow growth and aspect of a cordyline and a Cocothrinax. I also did the same this morning on a Dypsis leptocheilos to allow the Ravenea glauca alongside to spread it's wings easier and for visual enjoyment of all the palms in this spot.

I spoke closey and earnestly to both these palms prior to surgery and after hours of explanation, they finally consented.

The Hawaiian fan palm. I don't have a before shot, although you can see the malformed top of the cordyline and that Cocothrinax was half covered by the large Pritchardia leaf.

post-51-1232837555_thumb.jpg

post-51-1232837586_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's a before and after of the Dypsis sacrifice, the Ravenea looks so much happier now. Don't these two come from the same place in habitat ?

post-51-1232837923_thumb.jpg

post-51-1232837953_thumb.jpg

post-51-1232837976_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Maybe you could donate the healthy cut fronds to a frond donor association to be used in transplants.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Here's a before and after of the Dypsis sacrifice, the Ravenea looks so much happier now. Don't these two come from the same place in habitat ?

post-51-1232837923_thumb.jpg

post-51-1232837953_thumb.jpg

post-51-1232837976_thumb.jpg

"Yes," it DOES, Wal, and "yes," they do.

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Must get a squatters chair , they are the best for really relaxing , and a nice broad armrest with plenty of room for the XXXX and some munchies and the camera [ for catching sunsets ]

with love from Tully :rolleyes:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Must get a squatters chair , they are the best for really relaxing , and a nice broad armrest with plenty of room for the XXXX and some munchies and the camera [ for catching sunsets ]

with love from Tully :rolleyes:

You've been spying on me haven't you Michael. Except I use the white plastic chair, it's readily available. Smiths plain chips are the munchies, todays beer was 2 stubbies of Carlton Dry premium lager and I left the camera upstairs because I'm tired of doing all the camera work around here. You own a camera Michael ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal , yes I have a camera ! How else would I submit all those pics to PACSOA ?

Here are a few leaves on Mikeys amazing Hydriastele beguinii 'Ode Island'

The amazing near entire leaf form . They look a bit worse for wear , and should be chopped off .

Maybe the Rat Pack can whip up for a quick working bee ?

Done my little bit of weeding and site prep. now its time for a QLD

quiet little drink .................

with love and sunsets from the Tully armchair

post-354-1232869091_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I know how you feel... just planted a few bits and pieces today in the rain (not heavy... just spitting, so it was nice and cool). Now debating what to have for dinner....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nice job Wal! It looks great and your glauca will be very happy. It helps sometimes to "sacrifice" a few fronds here and there so you can enjoy the nearby plantings.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Wal sometimes we have to do whats for the better good. In this case it is and it looks great. You have some fine looking specimens.

David