IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Extra cold hardy mule palm cross.

Jeff zone 8 N.C.

Has anyone ever tried to hybridise a mule palm with more cold hardiness? I would think that if you selected a mother and father with better cold hardy genes you could make such a cold hardy mule. I live in North Carolina and want to try it. I have selected a fast growing, thick trunked, red fruited Butia, with good form and cold hardiness and have removed the male flowers. I need Syagrus pollen to apply. Does anyone have a Syagrus with a little better than normal cold hardiness that is producing pollen? I don't need much. Just a little in a regular letter envelope would do the job. I will share seeds.

Edited by Jeff zone 8 N.C.

Wish I had some pollen for you... that sounds like a promising cross. Do you know for certain the butia is producing viable seeds??? Any pictures of this butia? Thanks Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Wish I had some pollen for you... that sounds like a promising cross. Do you know for certain the butia is producing viable seeds??? Any pictures of this butia? Thanks Jv

JV, this Butia palm produces large heavy stalks of abundant seed that are fertile. There are hundreds of Butia seedlings under it. I'm lucky that where I live there are hundreds upon hundreds if not into the thousands of Butias that flower well every year. It's just a matter of finding the best characteristics and a willing owner. Most owners I approach have been willing to give seed and access to their trees. I have also had an offer of some Syagrus pollen from probably a pretty cold hardy tree since I posted this. Sorry my camera is broken and I'm not sure I want to post pictures yet anyway as the tree is not mine and is far enough away that I can not keep an eye on it. I wouldn't want to do all the work and then have a lurker figure out where the seeds are, free for the taking. If it works out that I get good seed I will post pictures.

Has anyone ever tried to hybridise a mule palm with more cold hardiness? I would think that if you selected a mother and father with better cold hardy genes you could make such a cold hardy mule. I live in North Carolina and want to try it. I have selected a fast growing, thick trunked, red fruited Butia, with good form and cold hardiness and have removed the male flowers. I need Syagrus pollen to apply. Does anyone have a Syagrus with a little better than normal cold hardiness that is producing pollen? I don't need much. Just a little in a regular letter envelope would do the job. I will share seeds.

If we can grow them in the san juan islands you can grow them in NC with some care.... http://www.mulepalm.com

post-1930-1216685117_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jeff for the info and can truly understand about not wanting to take the pics... wish you the best of luck. Keep us informed. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Jeff,

I cant help you right now as the plant has stopped flowering but I have a S. romanzoffianum thta went through the 89 freeze. It is about 25 or so feet tall -- if it blooms again I will try to reach it with a ladder & get some flowers. It was flowerign alot earlier butr may have stopped. At any rate next cycle-- I will see what I can do.

Best regards,

Ed