IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with a Sick Howea forsteriana

DoomsDave

Here's a crown shot, all thoughts sought . . .

post-208-1215898369_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a further view.

Sad!

Help!

post-208-1215898590_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ouch Dave. Kentias really took it hard last year. My triple finally has 4 healthy leaves (and 7-8 semi-okay leaves) and my 2 singles look like yours with all the brown stuff cut off. I babied the triple along. SuperThrive, John and Bob's, lots of fert and minors. It went through a bottle of Daconil last Spring, and a follow-up bottle this Spring. It's been a long wait, but leaves are returning at a pace similar to before the freeze.

I'd lop of the brown just to see the main stem and what you actually have there.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Dave, when did the fronds go all dry?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dave, when did the fronds go all dry?

Been a few months, ma'am.

[Expletive!]

That's kind of a hard one Dave. The older leaves look uniformly brown indicating sun or cold damage. But the three most recent spears apper to have been affected prior to unfurling. I would suspect insects in the growing point area. They are only damaged on a particular part of the leaf. I would treat the bud area; now's the perfect time...

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Hmmm. Gosh, Dave, you would know better than I. My guess would be a combination of cold and fungal damage, but growing out of it. The last pic looks like Santa Ana wind/sunburn. Wicked combination of tortures. What are you thinking?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

TORTURES, FOR SURE.

Dang.

Vexed, annoyed, non-lady-bugged. . ..

i have a kentia i rescued off my aunt that had frizzled leaves like your new spears after 4 months the new leaf was all good then the next one was frizzled again !!!

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Dave,

THe first pick looked like mine 4 months ago. With help from my palm mentor, I hit mine with hydrogen peroxide and daconil. The daconil was applied every other week for 5 weeks. Now the damaged fronds are pushing out and hopefully I will have a new spear by the end of summer.

Good Luck and Best wishes!

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

A couple of questions Dave, do you have any other Kentias and are they in full sun like this one ? If so, how are they looking. Do you have any Howeas under shade or mostly shade, and again, if so, how are they fairing ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have some other Kentias, in shade that look better. No doubt about it, they're happier in the shade at my place, though there is a specimen in my 'hood that's growing in full, blistering Guada La Habra sun.

The large brown leaves are frost damage from the big freeze. That said, it's still surviving reasonably well. As they get bigger, they take the sun better.

Dan: How do you apply the Hydrogen Peroxide? Straight into the crown?

I'll roar off in Mad Max and get me some . . . .

Dave,

because of it´s slow growth Howeas can have severe nutritional problems. When they get bugs (mealy bugs?)on their leaves they start bearing deformed leaves untill the plant "catches up" on the nutrients again. It looks like your has been infected by fungus or insects or maybe just scorched by frost and it might take a year or so to start putting out "good" new leaves. Then after about 3 years it will look normal again. At least it didn´t die :)

Have fun waiting. Crooked leaves and palms are nice anyways :drool:

Cheers Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

I also want to mention that these are tough palms, one of the toughest in my experience. I have one that was shade grown, I whacked it into full sun, pushed in the deep end so to speak, go on swim, and every leaf browned off completely so it appeared to be a dead plant floating at the bottom of the pool, I mean dead and gone. I left it and prayed to the palm gods and after a season they delivered. New green leaves came on and this Howea has bloomed like one in habitat and ironically after a few years, it is now canopy shaded by others around it.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dave,

I applied the hydrogen peroxide right into the bud or area where the new spear should grow from. It is harmless to the plant and should hit any fungi hard.

Good Luck!

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

Dan:

Soon's I read this, I raced outside with my new bottle of peroxide, screamed and dumped it into the bud area. Not the whole bottle, just a couple of ounces or so.

FIZZIES TIME!

Dan:

Soon's I read this, I raced outside with my new bottle of peroxide, screamed and dumped it into the bud area. Not the whole bottle, just a couple of ounces or so.

FIZZIES TIME!

I just cant get over how Hydrogen peroxide, a noxious and potentially lethal chemical to us can be poured down the gullet of a palm and like a dose of good medicine improves the health of the palm rather than dealing it a death blow.

I have used Hydrogen peroxide to great effect to kill grubs that eat the bud. I know it works well on fungus as well at least in some cases. I have used it in place of Daconil, but I suspect Daconil may be better.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Gonna hedge my bets and use both . . .

• 11 months later...

How is this one going now Dave ? Did your treatment work ? :D

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

How is this one going now Dave ? Did your treatment work ? :D

It's still hanging in there!

Not lookign great overall, but the new leaves are looking better.

Glad to hear that the new leaves are looking better Dave because a nice Howea is a beautiful palm and when aclimated really do well in coastal Southern California. Wish they did that well here for me. Have patience and give it some time and that Howea will recover I bet.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

They take nearly 2 yrs to grt used to full sun down here .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

I just saw this post and the pics reminded me of my Dictyosperma Major Problems - Help! post.

I'm not sure where you are now with this palm but I recently lost mine.

I went to dig it out and while the root structure seemed very secure, the crownshaft snapped off as I rocked it.

It was a funky dark brown inside.

I think I had mis-diagnosed it as a nutrient deficiency and treated it for that.

I don't think I ever applied anything for fungal problems and so it went downhill.

I have also tried some Howeas and I lost them due to overwatering even though I really didn't water them much.

The rain was enough to kill them here.

Before that, they looked great.

I hope yours recovers.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear that the new leaves are looking better Dave because a nice Howea is a beautiful palm and when aclimated really do well in coastal Southern California. Wish they did that well here for me. Have patience and give it some time and that Howea will recover I bet.

Soon's I read this I raced outside and

forgot!

WHOA!

Anyway, I remembered, and here's a pic, it's looking good, I wanted to scream, did, and will again . . .

post-208-1246165697_thumb.jpg

With TWO spears, more than Britney!

Yeehaw!

post-208-1246165725_thumb.jpg

Looking better than that first pic. I would have sent that to the compost heap. Nice job resurecting the palm. Did you use the paddles?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Looking better than that first pic. I would have sent that to the compost heap. Nice job resurecting the palm. Did you use the paddles?

No paddles for this one!

(Saving those for the New Caledonians . . . . )

That first pic was sad, but the palm was big, and it and I went way back, so I couldn't just dump it, though I don't blame you for doing same.

No doubt, I was worried about a Norwegian Blue deal here, but, I think a happy ending will come. I've been giving it lots of extra water to nudge it along.

it's trunking! :lol:

Beautiful plumage.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Dave..

What your palm has is an ailment that is pretty common in my Kentia's...I put it down to Phytopthorea. Some have grown out of it, some haven't. Hydrogen peroxide is what I treat them with. I have found that ones that do recover do get hit with it again.

cheers...

Malcolm

• 3 months later...

BumP !! :D

So Dave ,lets see an updated post summer photo of this recovering Kentia !

BuMp de BumP ! :unsure:

Troy ........The Howea lover !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

I did'nt want to hijack Daves post, but how is your Bismarkia Troy??

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

I did'nt want to hijack Daves post, but how is your Bismarkia Troy??

Still the same ! too cool for too long down here .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks for asking, and it's about the same as before, still alive, still growing.

Still sadder than I'd like . . .

BUT!

wAY IT GOES, JOE . . .