IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Atlanta Botanical Gardens 5/15/8

mari

I went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens on Sunday. They had a concert on the greens. They gave away snow cones, popcorn and cotton candy...Of I go for the plants. If you ever want to know what ground cover works or you need ideas for your garden, visit your local botanical garden. Also, for all of you collectors out there, it gives you a chance to see some of the palms, ferns and bananas that your have on a larger scale. Here are a few pictures I took on my camera phone:

What is this? Is it some kind of ficus...it in about 6 feet tall over all with large shiny leaves. My photo of the tag is blurry.

ATT107199.jpg

Inside desert garden

ATT92986.jpg

ATT93503-1.jpg

ATT94471.jpg

travel logs ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

A decade or so ago, the garden had some very cool displays of native carnivorous plants.

Looks like the outdoor palms have been thriving. The garden's outstanding facilities are, in part, one of the memorials to a terrible tragedy back in the 1960s when a planeload of Atlanta's elite crashed in Paris.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

great pics,

What is the lg palm in post #9 pic 1

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Is that one pic showing the Bismarkia in the center of the glass house?

Yes, that is a Bismarkia in the tropical greehouse. It is alomost at the top of the glass ceiling. It is not a blue as it should be and its trunk is not as wide as I have seen out west. I guess that is because of the light, moisture and overall environment.

A decade or so ago, the garden had some very cool displays of native carnivorous plants.

Looks like the outdoor palms have been thriving. The garden's outstanding facilities are, in part, one of the memorials to a terrible tragedy back in the 1960s when a planeload of Atlanta's elite crashed in Paris.

Wow, that is a fact that I did not kow about. The ABG stillhas a decent display of carnivous plants in the greenhouse as well as outside. Georgia appears to have a native popilation of pitcher plants.

great pics,

What is the lg palm in post #9 pic 1

That palm pictured in post 8 last photo and post 9 first photo is a White Elephant Palm, Kerriodoxa Elegans. Its leaves are massive and it has powdery white undersides. It is one of my favorite palms.

I was there several years ago and they had a nice selection of palms and cycads in the conservatory. I was curious if Ron Determan was still the palm curator up there? Thanks for the pics.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was there several years ago and they had a nice selection of palms and cycads in the conservatory. I was curious if Ron Determan was still the palm curator up there? Thanks for the pics.

Jeff

Jeff,

Ron was the curator last year. I am not sure if he still holds that position.