IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sylvester palm freeze damage

jdl

First winter with palm trees. My sylvesters had a good bit of freeze damage but there’s still green in the middle of both so they’re still alive. I’m pretty sure most of the damage is now over because it is starting to get warmer.

But I need to know exactly how I should treat this in Spring.

Should I cut off everything except for the meristem on both palms? And should I spray fungicide in them or is there no need to? 

(The photos of when they were green is for reference of how badly they were burned in the cold)D52BB6E8-638C-453F-9B01-2E07DB59CAC1.thumb.jpeg.9d070be6c08cdba0eff2f7a4ad36c4b0.jpeg17AC0E19-2270-4000-A04C-CFEF16EF7356.thumb.jpeg.9eef362e4ea6e7ac48373a63aa9a98d0.jpeg6C90539B-9E6D-4658-BE7F-9713445F9238.thumb.jpeg.fc8a370465c90c880c426751b567f944.jpeg3CE3FF98-A337-44D8-A147-30352A7A9D4A.thumb.jpeg.56f408eca4a5bafae29c095e53416cdc.jpeg

Don't get too crazy cutting the fronds off just yet. I'd wait until late March or early April to get a better assessment of your palm. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Las Palmas Norte said:

Don't get too crazy cutting the fronds off just yet. I'd wait until late March or early April to get a better assessment of your palm. 

I know that’s why I said in Spring how should I treat it. I’m not doing it now. I just need to know exactly how I should do it when the time comes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jdl said:

I know that’s why I said in Spring how should I treat it. I’m not doing it now. I just need to know exactly how I should do it when the time comes. 

When the time comes, everything thats dead comes off, nothing more than that. If it appears to be growing, nothing else would be necessary except a watering schedule, possibly fertilizer during the summer once it has recovered. When was this tree planted?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

9 hours ago, JLM said:

When the time comes, everything thats dead comes off, nothing more than that. If it appears to be growing, nothing else would be necessary except a watering schedule, possibly fertilizer during the summer once it has recovered. When was this tree planted?

It was planted mid august last year. About 7 months ago

9 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

What was the low that caused all that frond damage?

A few nights in the high 20s and a decent amount of nights in low 30s. Most of it happened in late January when it got really cold and rainy for about a week. 

Unfortunate timing, all the cold when it’s a new planting and doesn’t have a ton of fronds. I would leave as many fronds on as long as you can stand it. If it’s totally brown and crispy and falling down it’s clearly okay to remove.

I would water often when your above 80 degrees and apply a heavy dose of palm fertilizer around that bed. I’d also apply liquid fertilizer to the ground periodically.

18 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

If it’s totally brown and crispy and falling down it’s clearly okay to remove.

Hahaha. That's funny. :lol:

Fungus starts to grow on cold damaged tissue especially in the 60's and above.   Spray crown and trunk when you have a dry spell of a few days and temps are in the 60's.  Spray a 2nd time in a couple weeks and keep fingers crossed.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 minute ago, Allen said:

Fungus starts to grow on cold damaged tissue especially in the 60's and above.   Spray crown and trunk when you have a dry spell of a few days and temps are in the 60's.  Spray a 2nd time in a couple weeks and keep fingers crossed.

What exactly should spray it with? And how much should i spray per tree? The trees are 8 and 10 feet of clear trunk if that matters. And could fungicide harm the trees if i do it wrong?

12 minutes ago, jdl said:

What exactly should spray it with? And how much should i spray per tree? The trees are 8 and 10 feet of clear trunk if that matters. And could fungicide harm the trees if i do it wrong?

This is the exact one I use.  I just sprayed my entire palm inventory with about 1 1/2 gallons of it as a preventative and have done it for the last 2 years.  For that tree I'd mix up a half of a gallon, get on a step ladder with a garden pump sprayer and spray the crown until it ran down in the spear area and that top portion of trunk.   You can spray the fronds if you can reach just to knock back any fungus growing in the area.  On my bottle I mix 20ml per gallon.  Go by the directions and mix a medium-strong amount based on what you see for other plants as palms wont be listed.  Spray in morning on a dry day so it will dry well before night.   Spray when rain is not forecast for a couple days so you know it has a chance to help.   This stuff is rated to be sprayed on everything from grass to vegetables to fruit so it's not going to harm that tough palm.  

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-Liquid-Copper-Fungicide/dp/B004QJ1LWM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3POBDUM4TOGDP&keywords=copper+fungicide&qid=1645202692&sprefix=copper+fungicide%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-7

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F