Dimovi

Help with Sabal ID

Dimovi

I am unable to identify this Sabal. The seeds are super tiny even smaller than W. filifera.

It is very cold hardy as the recent snow storm in Austin with temperatures down to the upper single digits did not have even the slightest hint of damage while most other sabal (except for minor) got significant foliar damage, the Mediterranean fan palms got defoliated and some were killed and even some Trachycarpus fortunei sustained damage.

1217573620_PXL_20210314_0434043712.thumb.jpg.4b8980ccea71ccae6ec07bf2767a46fa.jpg

The pictures below were taken exactly one year apart, so you can see the growth rate.

Nov 2020

1340444840_PXL_20201118_1632538892.thumb.jpg.b56c18b8a50b76a72e648af1c9203d1b.jpg

Nov 2019

5066293_IMG_20191121_153929109_HDR2.thumb.jpg.2dabbead94c854d65a4284fe6ba83a9d.jpg

• Like 1

Sabal Steve

The leaf structure and coloration at the base of the petioles reminds me of S. Uresana.

Edited by Sabal Steve

Dimovi

Is uresana supposed to be that cold hardy? I can't find much info on it.

Fusca
1 hour ago, awkonradi said:

Unfortunately, I am not too wise.  But, I think Sabal "Riverside" may have seeds like that.

http://www.maderapalms.com/sabal-riverside-palm#:~:text=riverside fruit is smaller%2C and,mexicana.

Interesting.  I have seen conflicting info on 'Riverside' seed size.  This site shows quite small seeds for 'Riverside', but seeds I've collected from the Sabal 'Riverside' at the Arboretum at Constitution Park in Deerfield Beach, FL and also from Sabals being sold in a nursery in Riverside, CA as Sabal 'Riverside' were both large and similar to the size of Sabal mexicana.  @Jerry@TreeZoo might be able to confirm?  Here is a photo of the 'Riverside' at the Tree Zoo I borrowed from Palmpedia.

600px-5655e6a2155b9_photo1%2812%29.JPG.d9ec1a58f7fa3fd3cf728e1c87ae6dd4.JPG

Jerry@TreeZoo
9 hours ago, Fusca said:

Interesting.  I have seen conflicting info on 'Riverside' seed size.  This site shows quite small seeds for 'Riverside', but seeds I've collected from the Sabal 'Riverside' at the Arboretum at Constitution Park in Deerfield Beach, FL and also from Sabals being sold in a nursery in Riverside, CA as Sabal 'Riverside' were both large and similar to the size of Sabal mexicana.  @Jerry@TreeZoo might be able to confirm?  Here is a photo of the 'Riverside' at the Tree Zoo I borrowed from Palmpedia.

600px-5655e6a2155b9_photo1%2812%29.JPG.d9ec1a58f7fa3fd3cf728e1c87ae6dd4.JPG

Actually, the tree in the center of that photo has been identified as Sabal uresana.  The "Riverside" is only half-way in the photo on the left.  It does have larger seed if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jerry@TreeZoo

5655e964ac0e4_photo2%2810%29.JPG.7a2f65fe350c4a69c4c00e22d0163008.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jerry@TreeZoo

Abone you see the riverside on the left, the Uresana on the right and palmetto in the middle.

• Upvote 1

Fusca
2 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Actually, the tree in the center of that photo has been identified as Sabal uresana.  The "Riverside" is only half-way in the photo on the left.  It does have larger seed if I remember correctly.

I do remember the 'Riverside' was misrepresented in the Palmpedia photo.  I recall looking up the palm profile at the hotel shortly after visiting the garden and was surprised to see the same tree I had just collected seeds from (and taken a photo of) on Palmpedia!

Jerry@TreeZoo
On 3/16/2021 at 10:28 PM, Fusca said:

I do remember the 'Riverside' was misrepresented in the Palmpedia photo.  I recall looking up the palm profile at the hotel shortly after visiting the garden and was surprised to see the same tree I had just collected seeds from (and taken a photo of) on Palmpedia!

Hmmmm,  "just collected seeds from".  I don't recall giving anyone permission to collect seeds from it.

JUST KIDDING!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

jimmyt
4 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Hmmmm,  "just collected seeds from".  I don't recall giving anyone permission to collect seeds from it.

JUST KIDDING!

Ha!  That was a good one Jerry!

EastCanadaTropicals

That's an Urseana.

EastCanadaTropicals
On 3/14/2021 at 8:16 PM, Dimovi said:

Is uresana supposed to be that cold hardy? I can't find much info on it.

Yeah, some strains might even be hardier than Palmetto.

awkonradi

An old thread:

Edited by awkonradi
  • Like 1

Jubaea_James760

Sabal Riverside fruit & seed.

20210402_133149.thumb.jpg.ad9cebcf20da3667d2fcaedaab43c92d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phoenikakias
7 hours ago, awkonradi said:

An old thread:

That's mine!

awkonradi

Hi Dimovi, would you be willing to post some new pictures of this palm?  It would be cool to see some post-freeze pictures of it!

• Like 1

Dimovi
8 hours ago, awkonradi said:

Hi Dimovi, would you be willing to post some new pictures of this palm?  It would be cool to see some post-freeze pictures of it!

Here is what the palm looked like one week after the freeze. I could not see any visible damage of any kind. It is about a bock away from my house where I have two thermometers that registered 10F and under 7F respectively. The palm is not protected by anything. The thermometer with the lower reading is about 10 foot lower in elevation near a creek bed, so I assume the palm experienced temperatures around 8F or 9F.

PXL_20210225_161732176~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210405-102711.png

Screenshot_20210405-102614.png

• Like 2