donofriojim1

Salvaged Needle Palm in Cincinnati

donofriojim1

In my previous post, I showed how a local restaurant her in Cincinnati had some gorgeous old and established needle palms that were being removed without rhyme or reason. The restaurant had 1 surviving needle palm next to a pile of "dead ones". I reached out to the owners of the restaurant and asked if I could buy the remaining needle palm off of them. They actually said that I could just take it ! On top of that, I checked the pile of "dead palms"  and I found some that showed some signs of life. I salvaged those as well to see if I can get them to recover. Here are some pictures of the salvaging of these palms and the largest one transplanted to its new home. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Swolte

That looks great, what a sweet find! Probably protect the first winter so it can re-establish!

Your post reminds me to look into some nice passionflower types for my area...

• Like 4

Chester B

Awesome on so many levels!

• Like 1

palmsOrl
14 hours ago, donofriojim1 said:

In my previous post, I showed how a local restaurant her in Cincinnati had some gorgeous old and established needle palms that were being removed without rhyme or reason. The restaurant had 1 surviving needle palm next to a pile of "dead ones". I reached out to the owners of the restaurant and asked if I could buy the remaining needle palm off of them. They actually said that I could just take it ! On top of that, I checked the pile of "dead palms"  and I found some that showed some signs of life. I salvaged those as well to see if I can get them to recover. Here are some pictures of the salvaging of these palms and the largest one transplanted to its new home. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

That is so cool.  Great work.  While I might have carefully potted the big one too and kept it inside for this upcoming winter, my approach if I were you would be of course to keep the potted ones in a sunny window of your house once you get to November-March.  For the one you planted in the ground, maybe mulch it with a pile of pine needles and cover it with some sort of tub when it gets below 20F this first winter.

-Michael

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

Kudos to you for saving those poor things. I hope they all make it.

• Like 1

Joe NC

I suspect yours will survive the ordeal. I had a similar opportunity a few (6?) years ago.  I separated some of the clump and spread the pups around the yard.  Nearly all survived.  The remaining chunk, which had a root ball about the size of a basket ball, was looking pretty sad.  This is that clump this morning.... Large wheelbarrow for scale. 20201009_090314.thumb.jpg.23b5643df783a0225bf4eca6b1106279.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4