xoRudy

Just received my Pseudophoenix sargentiis

xoRudy

Just received two Pseudophoenix Sargentiis in the mail from Florida. They look great! Whats the best route to take, to get these guys in the ground as soon as possible here in Arizona? Let them adjust to the weather here and keep them in pots in a shady area. Or is the summer in Florida pretty similar to the one in Arizona, that I can just put them in the ground? Or is there another route I can take. Thank you.

Rudy

Maricopa, AZ

IMG_8381.jpg

IMG_8380.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8382.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Merlyn2220

The humidity here in FL right now is brutal, typically 70-99% and almost never under 60%.  Out there the humidity I think is around 15%.  I'd be cautious about putting them out in the ground in full sun without some acclimation time.  I don't have any specific experience in that kind of humidity, hopefully someone else can chime in with recommendations.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

aztropic

Shade cloth tents if going in the ground now or keep in pots then plant end of September.If you see the fronds starting to tan,they ARE being sunburned.Since they only grow 1 new frond per year,you really want to avoid damaging any existing fronds at all costs. Once you burn them,you can't take it back. :)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15952970957986449006096593991433.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

xoRudy
51 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Shade cloth tents if going in the ground now or keep in pots then plant end of September.If you see the fronds starting to tan,they ARE being sunburned.Since they only grow 1 new frond per year,you really want to avoid damaging any existing fronds at all costs. Once you burn them,you can't take it back. :)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15952970957986449006096593991433.jpg

Thanks Scott, your probably the best person to speak about it too. I think Ill keep them in a pot until september and then put them in the ground. When september comes, will the palms hold up in the ground without help from shade cloth tents? Or will shade cloths be an everyday thing in the summer?The spot I have planned for them is in full sun. @aztropic

• Like 1

aztropic

END of September,early October,they should be fine to plant in the ground,full sun, without any shade cloth.If you have a winter night that will hit low 30's,at least cover them with a cardboard box.Find your boxes BEFORE you need them.Upper 20's,add heat by placing a lightbulb in the box or a string of old style Christmas lights in the box without touching the trunk.Very slow growing palm, but very worthwhile to get 1 established.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
14 minutes ago, aztropic said:

END of September,early October,they should be fine to plant in the ground,full sun, without any shade cloth.If you have a winter night that will hit low 30's,at least cover them with a cardboard box.Find your boxes BEFORE you need them.Upper 20's,add heat by placing a lightbulb in the box or a string of old style Christmas lights in the box without touching the trunk.Very slow growing palm, but very worthwhile to get 1 established.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Will they eventually grow and establish in AZ without supplemental heat during winter?

aztropic

Absolutely! I haven't protected anything planted in the ground in over 10 years.If I knew we were going below 28F though,I might make some attempt to cover some of my rarest smaller plants like Hemithrinax and Copernicia cowellii.Everything else is too big to worry about already.I do have over a dozen sargentii's of various sizes,planted in the ground.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200605_141115030.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      My Copernicia rigida finally seems to have taken off this year with our record breaking heat waves. It's actually been planted in that spot for about 10 years now from a small seedling,but has just begun producing its first few upright fronds.Its been very slow for me, (maybe too much shade) but I'm hopeful it has an accelerated growth rate from this point forward. 

aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! 
      It's my  first summer with my Royal here in arizona and I noticed over the last few days that the second newest frond is already looking a little toasty. I water heavily three to 4 times a day and when I check the dirt, it is not dried out.  
      I also give it arizonas best fertlizer once a month. 
      Any suggestions or will it adapt over time. 
      Please see below, its the frond on the right :).

• JasonD
      By JasonD
      Which public gardens in Arizona have the best palm collections -- in terms of species array, quality of care, and design? The two most well-known are the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. 
    • Silas_Sancona
      By Silas_Sancona
      As mentioned in passing by other local members, the forth coming week ahead looks brutal here in the desert.. Really, this time of year in the Sonoran Desert, and entire Southwest is both something we do and perhaps don't look forward to.
      June here is typically the hottest and driest month, on average. While daily highs in the lower 100s, and very low humidity/ dew point readings are typical, the exceptional heat building atm is not. As suggested, Phoenix may indeed reach.. if not surpass 120f by Tuesday and/ or Wednesday. The hottest recorded temp via the official weather station at Sky Harbor is 122f recorded on June 20th, 1990. These days, with all the neighborhood weather stations, ..and as seen last year, some areas can surpass that temperature, even if Sky Harbor doesn't. This might be one of those years a weather station somewhere in the valley reaches into the 130f range.. perhaps a run at 140f?
      WX models have wavered back and forth ..with acouple suggesting 500mb heights reaching 600dm.. which is not only exceptional, but might ..should that happen, almost guarantee a run at breaking 1990's all time high, we'll see what happens.. I can't imagine hitting 125f. 
      For anyone who may be in town next week, take the heat very seriously.. this isn't your typical " Phoenix Heatwave"
      For all of us with plants, especially stuff in containers, extreme heat can easily cause significant damage. While the heat helps get things growing earlier on, everything slows down. Or stops growing entirely this time of year. Shade, of any kind, helps tremendously. Still, the heat+ very low ( or non existant) humidity levels are a curse since everything can dry out extremely quickly. Even with frequent watering.
      Still, there is a silver lining to the blast furnace ahead. Without our heat, there wouldn't be a monsoon season here.
      While everyone here is dreading the week ahead, this kind of heat will help get the monsoon engine cranking just south of the border, and over Baja.
      An explination: It is the temperature contrast between the land and sea that starts the " Gulf Surge" process that helps funnel moisture north into Arizona and New Mexico. Another aspect in play is how the heat helps set up a thermal low over far S.E. California and higher pressure over the S.W. tip of the Baja Peninsula. The is set up further aids in funneling moisture north. The mountains in Sonora, Mexico have already started the " Green up" process and should also start sending moisture north. I've also noticed a more favorable set up for easterly wave activity ( surges of moist air that move east to west across the Gulf of Mexico/ western Caribbean into S. Texas/  eastern Mexico, than turn north/ northwest over Sinaloa and Sonora) over the past few weeks. Hopefully this is a sign of a good rainy season  for the southwest ahead. Models ( gfs, gfs-para, couple others) are currently showing some sort of activity toward the end of the month. We'll need it after next week.
      No matter how it plays out, ( unless we get nothing. Very bad) monsoon season is the reward, the blessing, for what summer brings us here in the Desert. Growth resumes, heat gets tempered/ higher humidity makes for some nice, Florida-esque summer, evenings, .and the "scent of the Desert"  after a good downpour, and lightning storms are worth it. We could live without the dust storms and the concerns they bring each year but they're partially a result of human error/ ignorance , ie: stripping away the desert's natural vegetation, leaving non planted fields bare( cover crop-less) and subject to blowing. Even so, it's kind of cool to walk outside for a moment as a dust storm is rolling in, hearing thunder, but not being able to see where it is coming from since the storm itself is obscured in a dusty brown sky.. it's a storm chasing thing, trust me.
      Before relief , we'll see just how hot it can get..
      Anyway, be safe out there, and welcome to summer. 
    • DesertCoconut
      By DesertCoconut
      I'm looking for advice on growing other species of syagrus other than romanzoffiana here in Phoenix. I really like the look of a queen palm, but only the ones I've seen in CA and FL. By the end of our hot summers, they just look tattered and burnt no matter how much water and fertilizer you give them. I did plant a couple 15 gallon mule palms (butia x romanzoffiana) this spring and I'm excited to watch them grow.
      Does anybody have experience with any other syagrus species or hybrids that do well here in our desert climate? Coronata? Picrophylla? schizophylla?
      Comments on cold hardiness and growth rate would be appreciated as well.
      Thanks!