Lukey

Identification - variety of Coconut palm

Lukey

Is anyone able to identify the variety of this coconut palm?  The nursery owner is not sure of the variety and unfortunately, he's doesn't seem interested enough to go ask his supplier. (I am hoping for them to be a Panama Tall).

Thanks!

IMG_20200613_144252.jpg

IMG_20200613_144302.jpg

IMG_20200613_144345.jpg

IMG_20200613_144402.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr

@Lukey

Welcome to the forums! 

I can't say for certain it is a tall or a dwarf, but at least I think you could exclude Golden Malayan (due to green petioles) and Jamaican Tall (due to green petioles and shape of the crown).  If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say probably Green Malayan.  Let @Zeeth or one of the others a little more skilled than myself give you better guidance on the exact type though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Johnny Palmseed

I got these from a well known local grower as panama talls. He planted the mother palm for his neighbor years ago and collected these from it.

ED2C0861-9E0A-452D-BB0E-332DA75F12E5.jpeg

C9F30DB8-2372-4C0A-BB3C-75A34D8B4541.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

GottmitAlex
59 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I got these from a well known local grower as panama talls. He planted the mother palm for his neighbor years ago and collected these from it.

ED2C0861-9E0A-452D-BB0E-332DA75F12E5.jpeg

C9F30DB8-2372-4C0A-BB3C-75A34D8B4541.jpeg

Wow! Those are nice:  golden Panama/Pacific talls.

• Upvote 2

Mr. Coconut Palm
8 hours ago, Lukey said:

Is anyone able to identify the variety of this coconut palm?  The nursery owner is not sure of the variety and unfortunately, he's doesn't seem interested enough to go ask his supplier. (I am hoping for them to be a Panama Tall).

Thanks!

IMG_20200613_144252.jpg

IMG_20200613_144302.jpg

IMG_20200613_144345.jpg

IMG_20200613_144402.jpg

Doug,

Welcome to the forums.  I am 99% sure they are Green Malayan Dwarfs, especially if they are at a public retail nursery that gets them from a wholesale grower in Florida.  I have grown a lot of them, and that is what they look like to me.  I have 3 Panama Talls about 5ft. tall in overall height in 10 gal. pots.  All of mine have bright golden orange petioles and more robust leaves and slightly darker green leaflets than the Golden Malayan Dwarfs do.

John

P.S.  I will try to find some pics of mine and post them here.

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mr. Coconut Palm

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Like 2

Mr. Coconut Palm

My Panama Talls from South Florida in above photo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

mnorell

Panama (Pacific) Tall has a round, cannonball-like fruit and a caramel-colored petiole. This "fades" to become more green as the palm ages. It is extraordinarily robust and fast-growing compared to all other commonly available Cocos. Bright orange indicates a Gold Malayan. Bright green can be several types, but Green Malay coconuts, often called "dwarf" but not at all a dwarf (just early to produce fruit), presently the most common in the trade, have an oblate (squashed sphere) shape to the fruit. Jamaican Tall, arguably the most beautiful and majestic of all, has a longer, pointed fruit with a three-cornered "pinch" at one end. The most commonly available at present in South Florida are indeed the Green Malay. Those advertised as Maypan are usually open-pollinated and not the strictly controlled, official Maypan hybrid as designated during the height of the Lethal Yellowing pandemic, which at present nobody is much concerned with, and so it has fallen away from the marketplace. Keith Zimmerman(@Zeeth), who taught me most of these quick "keys" to the various common forms, is quite the expert on the various forms cultivated in Florida, and can probably identify yours with certainty in an instant. My own opinion, based on your photos, is to concur with those above who think they are probably Green Malay. There are usually Panama Talls available on eBay, and Keith, who is in your neck of the woods, may be able to help you in locating some locally. They are a spectacular and rewarding form of coconut, and very much worth sourcing as long as they don't get too cold in your location. Plant it and stand back!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Zeeth

Yeah I agree with the others that it's likely a green malayan. I've got an extra Panama tall that's gotta go in the ground soon so you're welcome to come pick it up from me if you want. I'm in Seminole Heights in Tampa. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

GottmitAlex
On 7/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, Lukey said:

Thanks!

IMG_20200613_144252.jpg

IMG_20200613_144302.jpg

IMG_20200613_144345.jpg

IMG_20200613_144402.jpg

By the way they look and how many of them are planted, (bottom up) I would say they are malayan dwarfs. 

Panama/Pacific talls are not easy to come by. Much less "ready to go" in that fashion. They germinate /pot them that way to save space. Especially for shipping. 

Just my 2 cents.

Heres a pic of one of my two in-ground  Flahriduh malayan dwarf. 

They arrived in a 1 gallon pot, all bifid leaves and a round nut. Which now is a tad more pointed due to the outer decay of the buried shell. 15939055098064171492091647050053.thumb.jpg.903105013a9c9215e95d8008404b213b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lukey
14 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Yeah I agree with the others that it's likely a green malayan. I've got an extra Panama tall that's gotta go in the ground soon so you're welcome to come pick it up from me if you want. I'm in Seminole Heights in Tampa. 

That's awesome! Will message you. Thanks!