Sign in to follow this  
Rd003

Over-pruning is rampant

Rd003

Hate to be the bearer of palmy atrocities but this ones the last straw... Went outside to see my neighbors hired some cheap ‘arborist’ lawn company to ‘trim’ their palms. All of the palms look terrible now, including a Mn deficient Queen that needed every leaf it could get.. they also severely trimmed the most robust queen down to almost nothing, which might push it like its neighbor into decline or Mn deficiency. Coconuts look abused. Makes me mad:rant:! Wish i could get SoFl lawn co’s to stop this listless practice, let alone c h a r g e for it.

over and out, Rd003

425C8F2B-9FB8-484E-8476-E113C2BEE6D5.jpeg

E3578B93-C4F8-470A-990F-74183F094FB7.jpeg

Darold Petty

That's nothing, here in California Washingtonia robusta palms are pruned back to two fronds.  :(

• Like 3

Gonzer

I'm not seeing it. For "cheap", it ain't bad. I'd hate to see what REAL cheap would look like

GottmitAlex
13 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

I'm not seeing it. For "cheap", it ain't bad. I'd hate to see what REAL cheap would look like

Same here.

Estlander
38 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

How’s this for cheap, lol?! They have actually grown a lot since they pruned them about a month ago. They left nothing but a spear and another half open spear.  Took a pic of just those two, but there’s actually a bunch of them that look like that right next to those  :((((

Have seen them do that to W. Robustas around town as well. Pruned down to the spear with just a needle sticking out from the trunk. 

3592A642-6BA6-44CD-A635-383F7BFFB643.jpeg

GottmitAlex
3 minutes ago, Estlander said:

How’s this for cheap, lol?! They have actually grown a lot since they pruned them about a month ago. They left nothing but a spear and another half open spear.  Took a pic of just those two, but there’s actually a bunch of them that look like that right next to those  :((((

Have seen them do that to W. Robustas around town as well. Pruned down to the spear with just a needle sticking out from the trunk. 

3592A642-6BA6-44CD-A635-383F7BFFB643.jpeg

Now that fits the bill for being cheap.

• Like 1

Merlyn2220

The general "rule of thumb" is to cut off fronds only when they are below horizontal or damaged, right?  I guess the coconut might have had some above-horizontal fronds on it that didn't need to be trimmed, but overall it's not horrible.  If a frond is mostly yellow or is starting to yellow on a queen, you are probably better off slicing it off and giving it some quality fertilizer.  Leaving a crappy-looking frond on there until it's totally dead isn't going to solve a nutrient deficiency, it's just going to make it look crappy!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Grasswing
      By Grasswing
      Happens everytime! 

• Kai
      By Kai
      Found this nice little cocos in my local gardencentre for €10.
      I put it in the old pot of Pal's Lytocaryum insigne #1404 with some of the famous seramis pinebark mix.
      Some time ago I already decided that when I'd come across one of these, I'd give it another try. I still feel the pain of having to let my previous cocos go when I moved to Amsterdam. In 8 years time it had grown into a palm of stature and I still miss it. Hope this little guy will in time grow into a worthy substitute!
      Wish me luck everybody!
    • pj_orlando_z9b
      By pj_orlando_z9b
      Hi, new poster here.  Look forward to good discussions.  Have a coconut in Orlando.  Planted it in 2015 and made it through unprotected 2 winters just fine.  Got hit by the January 2018 freeze. (6 hours below freezing, 4 hours @ 28F).  
      Protection: C7 lights around trunk wrapped in burlap and bed sheets.  Inside thermometer by trunk never got below 40F.
      Symptoms: New spears starting pushing out just a few weeks after the freeze. In March, it started showing signs of complications or stress. New fronds are wilting and some necrosis appearing. Last 2 fronds wilting in almost a "U" shape.
      Treatment: After seeing some necrosis or signed of fungus, I did a treatment of fungicide and hydrogen peroxide.
      Fertilizer: Like most others in Central Florida, I get spring stress from lack of Mn and K.  I did my normal treatment fertilizer, K, and Mn on 4/1 (I have a regular treatment 4x per year)

1-2 weeks after freeze (2/1):

Today (4/24)

Today (4/24) Emerging spears looking ok

Palm meristem seems fine.  I tug once a week and no signs of spear pulling out.  Whether it is cold damage or fertilizer, is this normal after a stress event?
    • Missi
      By Missi
      I have a friend intently looking for a sprouted PURE Hawaiian Tall. If you have any available, please let me know the price including shipping to Florida and I will send him your contact info. Serious buyer.
    • ck_in_fla
      By ck_in_fla
      I made a short trip from my home in the Orlando area to Cocoa Beach, Florida last week.  As the expressway turned South approaching the coast, it was like crossing a line.  Suddenly, it looked like I was in South Florida.
      During the time I was over there, I traveled from Cocoa Beach all the way down to Indian River County.  I crossed the Sebastian Inlet bridge and explored Orchid Island.
      The entire trip along route A-1-A on the barrier island, it looked like the area was solidly Zone 10B based upon what grows there.  Coconut palms are everywhere from Cape Canaveral south.  Back from the exposure to the salt spray, there are Royal Palms.  The 520 causeway connecting Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island has been landscaped with Royal Palms.  Also, Adonidia's are everywhere as you can see from the attached pictures.
      Except where the fruit has been removed to protect people and cars below, there were lots of coconuts in the trees.
      Just an amazing area.