NurseDolly

Lightning Damage

NurseDolly

I’m wondering if anybody has any experience with Royal Palms that have been damaged by lightning. Is there any chance my tree can be salvaged? It appears the lightning exited at the base of the crown shaft. New fronds are growing out of the hole created.

D57A53B3-C507-4957-99B8-4533A3893D1C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Usually, lightning is a DOA event.  Sometimes, you get a damaged growing point that can either grow in a different direction or grow in several directions.

Welcome to PalmTalk btw!

• Upvote 1

bubba

Your Royal looks much better than one I witnessed several days ago on a golf course that took what had to be a direct strike. It was toast. The green was gone.

You may ultimately possess a unique Royal that could become a sensation! It is still green and growing! What it may become, we shall see? The double-headed Sabals likely emanated from lightning strikes. Cheers to your possible double-headed Royal!

DavidLee

I believe it is boron deficiency. Maybe it can corrected with palm fertilizer.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      So this royal is pretty thin for its size and I want a fat royal in my yard I've seen other royals this hight and size have a much wider base and stem this one is thin and spindley. I would like to change that and make it as fat as possible before it starts trunking in a year or 2 because once that happens you can't change the thickness of the trunk.
    • Arecaceae78743
      By Arecaceae78743
      After all that palms ( most notably the extra tropical ones ) have been though this year, you would think they might get a break, but no the abuse doesn’t stop ! The hotel that homes  two of the tallest royals in Texas had a trimming job done on there palms (even though it was completely unnecessary) the one Royal on the right looks especially bad.  
      I believe more likely than not they will bounce back (again) however it is December so it’s more risky.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! Just wanted to share an update on my cuban royal palm. I planted this bad boy in the ground in March of 2020. This summer it has skyrocketed! I believe the bigger spacing means it's growing fairly quickly per frond.
    • PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      I've been preparing for the long dark of Seattle winter by adding an extensive array of ambient & grow lighting to my palm collection.  Coming home to a glowing palm oasis is the best cure for seasonal depression I've found so far lol.  Adding different types of lighting to a palm's foliage really transforms the look and feel of the specimen and adds a ton of beauty and texture to the overall presentation.  So I thought I'd share some nighttime shots from my collection, I'd love to see the ways you guys have your indoor palms displayed and any and all lighting setups!  Cheers
      Not sure what order the pictures are going to post but the different palms pictured are: Howea forsteriana (multiple), hyophorbe verschaffeltii, chamaedorea elegans, licuala petiolulata, dypsis lutescens (multiple), lytocaryum weddellianum (multiple), rhapis multifida, rhapis excelsa, chamaedorea cataractarum.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! So I planted my royal last year and at the time I thought it would have enough space. Currently the trunk is about 6 ft away from my home and 9 ft away from the neighbors. I also have two Mexican fans growing about 3 ft behind the brick wall.. My question is, will I run into any issues with the fronds dropping and will the mexican fans move away from the royal if the fronds get larger? 
      Thank you!