Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

From Shorpy: Palm Walk, Palm Beach, FL 1897

PalmatierMeg

After a long absence I have rediscovered Shorpy, the online vintage photo site. The link below leads to an 1897 photo of a waterside walk lined with coconut palms. They look like a dwarf, not tall, variety. Anyone agree? Great photo.

• Upvote 3

kinzyjr
10 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

After a long absence I have rediscovered Shorpy, the online vintage photo site. The link below leads to an 1897 photo of a waterside walk lined with coconut palms. They look like a dwarf, not tall, variety. Anyone agree? Great photo.

Definitely stout and pretty low to the ground to be a mature tall... I'd have to agree.

bubba

The Providencia crashed dropping its 20,000 Trinidad coconuts in 1879. No Maypan cultivars existed at this time. These were baby Trinidad coconuts, likely grown by the Lainhart’s or Potter’s. That appears to be the bike trail and I can tell you from personal knowledge that they were not dwarfs!

kinzyjr
38 minutes ago, bubba said:

The Providencia crashed dropping its 20,000 Trinidad coconuts in 1879. No Maypan cultivars existed at this time. These were baby Trinidad coconuts, likely grown by the Lainhart’s or Potter’s. That appears to be the bike trail and I can tell you from personal knowledge that they were not dwarfs!

Makes a lot of sense considering the short amount of time between the Providencia and the time of the photo.

Missi

Fascinating! And looking at what I can see of the house, it's interesting how house styles haven't changed much since then!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• redant
      By redant
      I'm always amazed by nature, obviously if a seed is going to fall from such a great height, you need more cushioning.  My wife and I eat a lot of these.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I want to clear out 20 Chamaedorea hooperiana seedlings I germinated from my parent palms' first crop of seeds from last year. It is a clustering palm with stems that can reach 12' tall. Cham hooper is native to the state of Veracruz in Mexico where it grows in tropical rain forest at 3,000-5,000'. It is better known in CA and although you might expect it to prefer a mediterranean climate, it thrives for me in the heat and humidity of FL. I grew the parent palms (2 female, 1 male) from seeds and planted them in shade on the east side of the house. There they have grown to maturity and not given me a lick of trouble. Last year they put out a small first crop of seeds that I've germinated myself to test viability. This year they are seeding much more prolifically.
      Seedlings for sale consist of 3 that are approx. 1 year old; the rest are 6 months. See summary:
      Chamaedorea hooperiana: 20 seedlings @ $20.00 for the lot.
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail. Sent without pots & soil, with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil
      Total = $30.00
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI. PM me if you are interested
      Photos

Parent Palms

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I was doing more spring yard maintenance when I realized my twin (from one seed) Dwarf Red Spicata coconut twins are now 3 years old. They are from the first crop of seeds in 2016 of my late, bodacious mother palm that I first bought in 2010 and the only set of twins she had. I say "late" because she was the victim of Hurricane Irma in Sept. 2017. Both palms are growing well and still almost of equal size while quickly outgrowing cosmetic leaf damage from last winter. They really hate any temps below 50F and leaves will spot, yellow and brown tip to show their displeasure. Anyway, here they are on a warm, sunny afternoon.
      Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata twins, Cape Coral, FL: 3 years old

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My mature Pseudophoenix sargentii has two infructescenses full of ripening seeds. P. sargentii, aka buccaneer palm and cherry palm, is native to the FL Keys through Cuba, Belize and Mexico. In the wild it grows on sandy, limestone soil near the sea but is adaptable to a wide range of well-draining soils and can survive brief inundations of seawater. Trunks reach 25' tall with age, are gray/green with prominent leaf scars and waxy bluish crownshaft. It has a crown of arching blue/green leave on stout petioles. It is slow growing, although my mother palm was planted on my garden lot as a juvenile around 2012 and has been trunking the past several years so it is no slouch in the growth department. It is drought tolerant but looks and grows better with regular moisture. It wants full sun and heat and won't grow well in shade. It is hardy to zones 10/11. This palm is instantly recognizable and highly desirable.
      Ripe, fresh seeds are available as follows:
      Pseudophoenix sargentii: 25 seeds @ $10.00 per lot            50 seeds @ $15.00 per lot
      Shipping for up to 50 seeds = $5.00 in padded envelope           No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      If you want larger quantities, please PM me to establish price and shipping cost.
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested.
      Photos below

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      In response to a topic on the lack of Howea spp growing in FL, today I took the following photos of my H. forsteriana & H. belmoreana. I apologize that the images aren't as clear and open as I'd like but both palms hang out deep in my back yard jungle and protected by deep canopy from sun and summer heat. They are beautiful palms but cannot tolerate stand-alone planting spots here. They reputedly make fine houseplants but I was never able to find one when I lived up in VA.
      Howea forsteriana: germinated in 2004 and planted a few years later. It has ~18" of clear trunk.

Howea belmoreana: purchased as a 1g late 2005. Not yet trunking