Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Are These Wild (Naturalized) Coconuts?

PalmTreeDude
Palmsbro
awkonradi

Mini, office-desk vacation on Google Street View.

• Upvote 1

Mr. Coconut Palm

Beautiful!  I think there were probably some Mexican Talls like this 150 to 200 years ago at Boca Chica at the Rio Grande Delta!

John

• Upvote 1

NC_Palms

South Florida has a lot of naturalized coconuts on the beaches. I heard once that Florida coconuts will land on Cape Hatteras and sprout, but die in the winter months. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Prinpalms
      By Prinpalms
      Cyrtostachys renda, the Red Sealing Wax Palm (also known as the Lipstick Palm) , has the well-deserved reputation of not being able to grow 'en la tierra' in Southern Florida. Notoriously cold-sensitive,
      It can 'brown off' at 40 degrees F. Attached photograph shows a 10-year old plant doing quite well on Miami Beach. It has a western and southern exposure and is shielded from the north. There are two 'tall' trunks , reaching 10 feet (highest point). The palm has managed 46 degrees F with no damage. On the same evening, temperatures 1-2 miles inland (Coral Gables) were 42 degrees.  South Florida has had a long streak (?15+ years) of mild winters. I can testify to knowing of fruiting breadfruit trees 25 feet high a mile from Biscayne Bay (something unthinkable 30 years ago), anecdotal evidence of climate change. Are other enthusiasts having success with the stunning Red Sealing Wax palm in Miami and environs?  Just curious. 

• Mr.Piriyakul
      By Mr.Piriyakul
      Hey everyone, 
      I know I pretty back to back, but I just trimmed my coonties because I think scale is starting to die back from a months long battle with the pests. I sprayed neem and scale specific oils for a month, daily.  The plant was still healthy and a hard cortex gave me some hope for a bounce back. I picked scale from the cortex with my girlfriend. I hope you can give me advice on if the scale will die back and leave totally with continued treatment, plus ground coffee. I know its not proven but why not try. Will the flush come back ? Did I do a dumb thing? 
    • Mr.Piriyakul
      By Mr.Piriyakul
      Hello People,
      I posted this already on palms in pots but some people directed me here for more help. I just want to know if My En Lehmannii will say blue in South Florida. If the rain is to much can I just being them in and out side as needed to keep the blue? These are my questions. Plus I have this Dioon Spinulosa pup with roots. The leaves on it are from a old flush before I bought it (so I am told), Will new flush come in July/ Juneish? I know I wait but I am curious and new to cycads.  Thanks everyone
    • Mr.Piriyakul
      By Mr.Piriyakul
      Hey everyone,
      I need some advice about my En. Lehmannii. Have it in a good mix of soil and a tall 5 gallon plastic black pot with 60% or more of perlite and 30% cactus and palm potting mix and garden mix from Lowes. I just want to know if my New plant will Thrive! It is in a spot where the morning sun continues until 3pm with some afternoon sun here and there. My back yard has dogs but they do not eat plants. So my dog and plant are safe. Could any one tell me if I'm doing right by the plant and if it will turn green. I will bring in the plant in heavy storms if possible. I just want my plant to grow and be happy for years. Plus I have a dioon spinulosum  pup with roots in a similar type of soil just more organic 50/50.  Let me know if they look good or not. Please thank you. Its my first time on a forum.
    • rfielding
      By rfielding
      Hello all, 
      I'm a geographer based in South Carolina, but a Florida native, with an interest in breadfruit as a tool for food security. I'm especially interested in efforts to push the latitudinal boundaries of breadfruit, including the good work that many are doing to grow breadfruit in Florida. I'd love to hear from members of this forum on their efforts to grow breadfruit in Florida or other places where it's challenging. Feel free to reply here or email me directly at rfielding@coastal.edu. Thanks very much!
      Russell Fielding
      Coastal Carolina University