Sign in to follow this  
Mohsen

Grow palms in pot outdoor!

Mohsen

I have few palms in pot but I keep outdoor...

anyone has any experience doing that? differences compare to the one in pots indoor?

I have few which I put in yard under shade cloth and I have few I grow on mu deck .

My main question about that is that the rood of the deck has a plastic so it is not 100% shade nor 100% direct sun!! what should I consider this situation? if palms that not keep up with full sun can be put on my deck? or not that is direct sun anyway ?

Pal Meir

The situation in Sydney is another one than here in Germany, but a problem you should also consider is the kind of the pots. Plastic pots are not so good for outdoor uses, as they can get too hot under direct sun. So I used only wooden or clay containers. The wooden containers are better suited, because they are not so heavy and don’t break into peaces. Here one photo each with wooden (1989) and with clay containers (2008):

56c730308f911_Phoenixcanariensis1989-09-

56c73047180f7_PalmsinClayPots2008-09-261

• Upvote 2

Mohsen

Thanks Pal,

should I consider my deck semi-shade...it get full sun but through plastic roof ,,,see picture...I want to put my palms which dont like full sun there, will they be OK?

IMG_5132.JPG

Neil C

Is that plastic on the roof opaque or is it clear, hard to see clearly? If the plastic is opaque I'd be very surprised if a palm would suffer any sun damage under that.

Regards Neil

Phoenikakias

Agree with Neil...

sashaeffer

I could look at Pal's pictures all day. Truly the gold standard of potted palms for us in they way they look.

Pal Meir
42 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

I could look at Pal's pictures all day. Truly the gold standard of potted palms for us in they way they look.

Thank you for your nice compliments. So I’ll post some more pics with palms outdoors in wooden containers (Livistona chinensis, Chamaerops, Washingtonia) …

56c86d180cbfb_Livistonachinensis1989-09-

56c86d2b97b2b_ChamaeropsWashingtonia1989

• Upvote 3

Pal Meir

… and in clay containers (Chamaerops 2004; Trachycarpus wagnerianus + Rhapidophyllum 2006; Phoenix roebelenii 2008; Phoenix roebelenii + Sabal palmetto 2008):

56c86dc7aefa0_Chamaerops2004-04-29DSC005

56c86dde9ca69_TrachycarpusRhapidophyllum

56c86def504d9_Phoenixroebelenii2008-09-2

56c86df779c4f_PhoenixSabal2008-06-17IMG_

• Upvote 5

sashaeffer

Amazing.

PalmatierMeg

I grow no houseplants so can't make a comparison. All the potted palms on my lanai or in my garden are either too cold sensitive or fatally allergic to alkaline sandy soil. The FL sun is too harsh even with the screened birdcage. So I've stretched two layers of shadecloth over the top of the screen and attached it to the frame with bolts (well, my husband did that). The cheesy stuff from the BB is sturdy enough long term so we ordered nursery grade shadecloth from the internet. Also, Ace Hardware in the US has some finished and grommetted pre-cut shadecloth that is very reasonable. Shadecloth doesn't have much decorative appeal but it sure makes going out there bearable. The palms love it overall.

I would say to try one of you palms out there for a day or two to see whether it sunburns.

• Upvote 1

Mohsen
On 2/19/2016, 10:48:01, Neil C said:

Is that plastic on the roof opaque or is it clear, hard to see clearly? If the plastic is opaque I'd be very surprised if a palm would suffer any sun damage under that.

Regards Neil

On 2/19/2016, 11:11:15, Phoenikakias said:

Agree with Neil...

I think it is more clear than opaque...I  can see through but not 100% clear though ?

IMG_5144.JPG

Phoenikakias

It's quite transparent imo. You will need a light shade cloth.

Mohsen
21 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

It's quite transparent imo. You will need a light shade cloth.

I had a Rhopalostylis sapida there for few month and there was no sign of sunburning ? although , there are only 1-3 hour sun in different location of the deck ...maybe that's why ?

Pip

If the roofing product is polycarbonate of a certain brand commonly sold here in Australia you'd expect that the material would block out ultraviolet light that causes sun burn. It doesn't necessarily block out heat but there are roofing products out there that will do that too but cost much more.

Mohsen
21 minutes ago, Pip said:

If the roofing product is polycarbonate of a certain brand commonly sold here in Australia you'd expect that the material would block out ultraviolet light that causes sun burn. It doesn't necessarily block out heat but there are roofing products out there that will do that too but cost much more.

Pip, I thinks that's the case ... I haven't seen any sunburn yet but it get very warm in hot days...