Jump to content
ChrisA

Snow Palms in ABQ

Recommended Posts

ChrisA

Well winter has really hit New Mexico now. We were forecasted to get 5-8 inches of snow, but got just over an inch. Below are pictures of my Filibusta covered with snow.  We've gotten down in the low 20's but with snow having sat on them all day with now warmth I expect I will lose the played out fronds.  

 

Below are the photos and a photo of our extended forecast.  This is going to be one hell of a winter! The forecast for the next 30 days, and hopefully it's not accurate, foretells about 20 that are mid teens or lower. Yuck!!!  At least we avoided the blizzard the plains received. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

PROTECT THOSE HYBRIDS!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Mondel

Yeah, why not wrap the crown in burlap so you don't lose the fronds?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
7 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Well winter has really hit New Mexico now. We were forecasted to get 5-8 inches of snow, but got just over an inch. Below are pictures of my Filibusta covered with snow.  We've gotten down in the low 20's but with snow having sat on them all day with now warmth I expect I will lose the played out fronds.  

 

Below are the photos and a photo of our extended forecast.  This is going to be one hell of a winter! The forecast for the next 30 days, and hopefully it's not accurate, foretells about 20 that are mid teens or lower. Yuck!!!  At least we avoided the blizzard the plains received. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Statistically this is the coldest time of the year.. but I like when the sun is out...  not so much with the moisture and cold.  Lets see how it goes !  I'm getting all of my wall o waters out tomorrow!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smithgn

Dear god that is a nightmare week forecast. I'd be cursing up a storm. I've been keeping track of this blizzard and deep, deep dip in the jet stream and have been wondering how you're doing out there. Sit tight and, to echo David's sentiments, PROTECT THE HYBRID(S)!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrisA

I'm afraid mine is too big for a wall o water.  The forecast has been re-adjusted, I think based on the fact that we didn't get the snow they thought we would so that should allow the bare ground to moderate those temperatures!

 

i will get some burlap, but what is the best method to tie the fronds up? I always get cut when I get too involved with those petioles, hahahaha!

 

Good luck to all of you trying to keep your palms going through this cold blast. Here is to the Nee Year and hopefully the return of our strong sun.  Fog and 22 degrees at the moment, but once the sun comes back out the palm should be able to enjoy some basking against my south wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎36‎:‎43‎, smithgn said:

Dear god that is a nightmare week forecast. I'd be cursing up a storm. I've been keeping track of this blizzard and deep, deep dip in the jet stream and have been wondering how you're doing out there. Sit tight and, to echo David's sentiments, PROTECT THE HYBRID(S)!!

Nightmare is right..  I just read a news report that NM will lose an estimated 20,000 head of cattle because of it.  So that's pretty crazy.

I fear the aftermath and hope this isn't what winter will be like for the next couple months. I started protecting a little but want to wait until we warm just a bit. I covered the wall o water over the JXS hybrid with an insulated bag.

It really wasn't super cold.. with a low of 16f one morning.. but was below 20f for over 4 hours that day. Despite what they have been forecasting the lows stayed above 20f so lucky I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎07‎:‎42‎, ChrisA said:

I'm afraid mine is too big for a wall o water.  The forecast has been re-adjusted, I think based on the fact that we didn't get the snow they thought we would so that should allow the bare ground to moderate those temperatures!

 

i will get some burlap, but what is the best method to tie the fronds up? I always get cut when I get too involved with those petioles, hahahaha!

 

Good luck to all of you trying to keep your palms going through this cold blast. Here is to the Nee Year and hopefully the return of our strong sun.  Fog and 22 degrees at the moment, but once the sun comes back out the palm should be able to enjoy some basking against my south wall.

Same to you.. just came out of nowhere it seems like...  The snow fog has lifted...  what the heck was that??!?!?!?  lol

 

Heres to the sun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smithgn
2 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Nightmare is right..  I just read a news report that NM will lose an estimated 20,000 head of cattle because of it.  So that's pretty crazy.

I fear the aftermath and hope this isn't what winter will be like for the next couple months. I started protecting a little but want to wait until we warm just a bit. I covered the wall o water over the JXS hybrid with an insulated bag.

It really wasn't super cold.. with a low of 16f one morning.. but was below 20f for over 4 hours that day. Despite what they have been forecasting the lows stayed above 20f so lucky I guess...

Wow, crazy!

If the JXS is cold hardy like we all think it is, it should be okay with what you've done to it. As long as you keep the wind off of the plant and freezing precipitation out. It  probably was a few degrees warmer inside the bag as well. And yeah, that's not super cold compared to what could have been. Did y'all get hit by a lot of ice? That would be a real kicker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrisA

Yes, I certainly feel like we lucked out in a way. The snow fog was crazy, but maybe all that humidity/fog helped to keep the night time temperatures higher than they would've been.  My palm is definitely showing some damage to the fronds but hopefully it won't be catastrophic.  The hours and hours and hours of freezing really does a job on them, even if we never got colder than what we've gotten down to so far (technically an zone 8B winter) it would still kill off a lot of vegetation due to the duration of subfreezing weather.

 

Hopefully this doesn't foretell of the winter to come. The latest forecast has us getting into the upper 40's next week with lows in the mid to upper 20's. That will be much better.

 

The snow has melted off my palm fronds but there are still icicles hanging from the threads that dangle from the tips of the fronds. We'll just have to take heart that the daylight grows with each passing sunset! LOL!

 

Take care and good luck!

-Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwitt

Gave up protection after 2011 with good results so far. Trachies, filifera's  and a med palm. nothing exotic. I like to sleep and not worry about the weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrisA

I've never had long term luck with Mediterranean Fan palm without protection. Maybe I need to give it another shot in a good location.

The good news now is that with each day we will get more light, more sun, more solar insolation. Barring any freaky events like what happened back in 2011, we should be out of the worst time for palms in Albuquerque which I consider to be mid December to the end of January. February begins our warm up and by early March the days are more spring like than winter and the sun has gained significantly in strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smithgn
11 hours ago, ChrisA said:

I've never had long term luck with Mediterranean Fan palm without protection. Maybe I need to give it another shot in a good location.

The good news now is that with each day we will get more light, more sun, more solar insolation. Barring any freaky events like what happened back in 2011, we should be out of the worst time for palms in Albuquerque which I consider to be mid December to the end of January. February begins our warm up and by early March the days are more spring like than winter and the sun has gained significantly in strength.

I hear that! I always breathe a small sigh of relief once we pass December 21st. Although, for us in the east, we're just starting on our icy, cold adventure. January looks pretty, ehh, normal. I don't even want to know what February looks like... Despite almost 2 months after the winter solstice, we get hit the hardest in the middle of February. The sun doesn't have anything when it comes to the icy cold winds from the north :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎19‎:‎46‎, jwitt said:

Gave up protection after 2011 with good results so far. Trachies, filifera's  and a med palm. nothing exotic. I like to sleep and not worry about the weather.

lol..  true true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎29‎:‎02‎, ChrisA said:

Yes, I certainly feel like we lucked out in a way. The snow fog was crazy, but maybe all that humidity/fog helped to keep the night time temperatures higher than they would've been.  My palm is definitely showing some damage to the fronds but hopefully it won't be catastrophic.  The hours and hours and hours of freezing really does a job on them, even if we never got colder than what we've gotten down to so far (technically an zone 8B winter) it would still kill off a lot of vegetation due to the duration of subfreezing weather.

 

Hopefully this doesn't foretell of the winter to come. The latest forecast has us getting into the upper 40's next week with lows in the mid to upper 20's. That will be much better.

 

The snow has melted off my palm fronds but there are still icicles hanging from the threads that dangle from the tips of the fronds. We'll just have to take heart that the daylight grows with each passing sunset! LOL!

 

Take care and good luck!

-Chris

What is up with this weather? I swear it has been 36f for the past 3 days..

My 3 TorC filifera still look great after all of that weather we just had.. my large 12 footer is showing damage already.    Everything else looks ok for right now but I'm almost certain there will be spear damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrisA

Yes, I think they've gofed the forecast as well.  The temperature has stayed abnormally steady for the entire week.  Now we have storm 3 of 4 coming through, actually it literally just came through with light rain, drizzle and mixed in flurries. I've checked the radar and that looks like that's about it.  It will be turning colder though as Tucson is currently at the temperature we are at.

My large Filibusta is also showing some frond damage but I don't expect any spear damage from what we've had so far.  No real warm up seems to be in the offing yet, so we may have another three weeks until we see temps back into the 50's. This week has been unusual in the amount of cloudy days we've had, we had three or four in a row which I haven't seen here in a long time.  I feel like I'm back east! Lol

 

Watch out for storm four, Saturday night I think.  If you blink you'll probably miss it going by! 

 

Good luck! Hope your 12 footer will be okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • Palm Sundae
      By Palm Sundae
      Have a few Washingtonia robusta/filibusta started from seed and currently in 5 gallon pots. All of them were potted straight up or very nearly so. They now all lean a little or a lot to the south (towards the sun.)
      None of my other palms seem to be doing this. Is this normal? Should I try to fix it by turning the pots or will it matter when they go in the ground later this year? Probably not enough time to make much of a difference is what I think.
      When they go in the ground I'm guessing it is best to try to get them 'straight' again. Are they small enough to where it does not matter? They will be about 24" tall, smallish compared to big box store palms because they have been in the full AZ sun from Day One with no shade...
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      So I am not exaggerating when I say that this spring has been the coldest on record and the absolute worst that I have ever endured. It has been absolutely dreadful here, even by UK standards. 
      The whole of the UK and most of Europe has been affected by unseasonably low temperatures for about 6-7 weeks now, since early April. The whole of 2021 has been pretty bad for here and the rest of Europe with below average temperatures and snow/freeze events in both January and February. Although March was okay and marginally above average, temperature-wise, both April and May have turned out to be the coldest spring months on record for the UK and most of Europe. I have spoke to people in their 80's who say that this spring is the worst they have EVER seen.
      April was categorically the coldest April on record ever, given that multiple records have been broken in England, Scotland, Wales and wider UK. 
       
       
      I have never, ever seen snow in April before this year. This is what my Queens looked like when I awoke one morning in mid-April this year... just unbelievable... in April...

       
      Here is the temperature anomalies across Europe for April...

       
      Apart from the Iberian peninsula (Spain & Portugal) and the far northeast Baltic corners of the continent, the whole of Europe has been affected this spring...
       

       
      You can see the massive blue blob over Europe...
       

       
      April was also a very, very dry month with record breaking sunshine levels, hence all the overnight frosts under clear skies. It was just dry, sunny and cold...

       
      While most of Europe has shivered through its coldest spring on record, the Middle East and north Africa has been experiencing the exact opposite with record high temperatures. Consequently the Mediterranean islands in the southeast of Europe, closest to the Middle East and north Africa, have experienced record breaking temperatures. Crete in the far south of Europe saw a low of 30C overnight in April...
       
       
      When you look at April alone, it doesn't seem too bad given that we are outside of winter, meaning no extreme lows, and April is just one month. However the cold snap is continuing well into May as well now with temperatures consistently running about 3C below average across Europe for about 6-7 weeks now.
      Here you can see the temperature anomaly for May so far in the UK...

       
      It was also the coldest May Bank Holiday on record for the UK...
       
       
      Scotland even had snow, IN MAY!!!
       
       
      There have even been multiple tornadoes this month as well...

       
       
      While April was the driest on record, as well as the coldest, May is currently on course to be both the wettest and coldest. We have replaced the sunshine and cool weather of April, with the rain and cool weather of May. We have had constant drizzle, thunder and spells of heavy rain and wind over the past 10 days. It was absolutely vile out today. A mild 14C but just wet and miserable. Shite considering we are 2 weeks outside of summer.
      Monday's figures were absolutely abysmal for mid May...
       
       
      This is the first time on record that we have not gone over 20C during the first two weeks of May. In fact I haven't gone above 20C since the last day of March, when it reached 27C here. As it stands right now, March 30th has been my hottest day this year, which is a testament to how crap this spring has really been.
      On top of that it appears another storm is arriving later this week as well. The last thing we need is more rain and wind. We need some frickin heat!!!
       
       
      The temperatures look absolutely appalling for London this week, in mid-May! Highs of 14C / 57F from Thursday to Monday with another storm in between. However there are signs that it will bet warming up next week with temperatures trending closer to normal, but still no proper warmth at all. I have never seen anything like this in May. It sums up a crap spring in general and a crap 2021, weather-wise!

       
      What is even more unbelievable is that parts of Russia and Siberia are running as much as 25C (50F) above average for the time of year!

       
      I have to give spring 2021 a rating of 1 out of 10, it has genuinely been that bad! I'm praying for a record breaking hot summer. 
    • GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      What time of year does W. Filifera or Robusta flower and produce seed?
    • GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      Took a trip out to a Washingtonia filifera oasis this month.  I highly recommend it.  Easily accessible with some monster specimens.





























    • GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Hello I was wondering if people could share how they germinate W. Filifera and Robusta seeds, I am wondering what the ideal temperature for germination is, as I have my Filifera seeds in a pot at room temperature with the soil at around 67 F, will they germinate?

×
×
  • Create New...