• Similar Content

• Laurajs2011
      By Laurajs2011
      Hi! This is my first posting time here but I’ve enjoying learning about palms and other tropical plants through this awesome site. I just acquired this new ficus but the owner wasn’t sure what the variety was, but I got a good deal on it, so I couldn’t pass it up. It’s not a lyrata or an Audrey (not fuzzy textured leaves). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      All of these ones are in London only. I will do a second upload for the other UK ones because there are already too many for London alone.
      Starting with the Jubaea's first, these ones are located in Richmond, southeast London...

Street view Jubaea's...

Here is the Jubaea at Chelsea Physic Garden in central London, which I visited over the summer...

Battersea Park Jubaea's in central London...

North London Jubaea with big Washingtonia Filifera...

Some smaller London Jubaea's on street view...

Now onto the London Butia's, of which there are many to document. Here's the one at Chelsea Physic Garden next to that Jubaea I posted before...

This Butia is located in Chumleigh Gardens which is in Burgess Park, south London...

This CIDP is located right next to the Butia above, in Burgess Park, south London. You can see the Butia in the background. It is yet another London CIDP that I haven't even posted before yet. These are not recent images either. This CIDP photo from Chumleigh Gardens is 5 years old now, so it will be much, much bigger, as will the Butia...

11 Monmouth Road, London...

These are in Richmond, southeast London...

Butia Yatay, Richmond

Butia hybrid? Central London...

I can't remember what part of London this Butia is located in? I know I have seen someone post it on here before though, a few years back. 

This one is in Wisley Gardens on the outskirts of southeast London...

Strange planting in central London...

Again these ones are just London so far. I've probably missed a bunch. I will upload the Jubaea's and Butia's from the rest of the UK soon, as well as any other London ones that I forgot. 
    • 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico
      By 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico
      My archontophoenix alexandrae threw this spear about two years ago.  It is the stunted  leaf on the left side of the tree.  It's been a battle ever since.  Slow growing until this growing season.  The palm has thrown  three nice healthy looking spears in last three months.  The palm is about 8 years old.  Is this frizzle top?  Or could this be some type of viral infection the palm had.  The palm was planted as a seedling.  

• MSX
      By MSX
      Hello everyone! I've been into palms for quite some time but this is my first experience of watching a palm grow from seed, and it happened that this is a Butia. I've been following these recommendations Germinating Butia Seed By Nigel Kembrey. Chamaerops No. 51 - published online 22-04-2005. According to the recommendations, a seed starting soilless medium contains 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. The medium was watered only once in the beginning before placing the nuts on the top of it, now it's almost bone dry to touch. Having spent nearly a month in a container (7 days of soaking + 21 days on the top of the medium) one of the seeds(nuts) have sprouted

Two more days and it pulls the nut up burying deeper into the perlite/vermiculite medium

The article mentioned above suggests the following: "I tend to allow the seedling to develop in the perlite until the leaf is visible, and then lift it out and pot it up. This gives the best survival ratio." So, my question - should I leave the nut like this until it develops the first small green leaf before transplanting it from the soilless medium to a separate container with a regular soil based medium? Or is it okay to move it in to the soil based medium right away? Thanks!
    • Cool Ritchie
      By Cool Ritchie
      Greetings,
      I need assistance in determining what type of hybridized Phoenix Reclinata palm this is on the photos. After doing some research, I see Reclinata and Sylvester. I'm fascinated with the branches/leaves that look like the Sylvester but multi stem like the Reclinata. Any comment or advise is much appreciated. Live in Central/West Florida.