IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Judean Date Palm

rubyz

The time has come for a small update on the progress of Methusalah, the one-of-a-kind Judean Date Palm (see my avatar) brought back, tentatively, from extinction, through the successful germination of a nearly 2,000 year old seed excavated from an ancient site in the Judean desert some thirty years ago.
I have very recently been in contact with Dr. Yuval Cohen of the Volcani Agricultural Research Center, who has been carrying out the DNA analysis ot the palm, and with Dr. Elaine Solowey of the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies, who successfully germinated the seed and has been responsible for the palm's care and feeding, so to speak.
Firstly, some general information:
the palm is two years old, healthy, and growing well. If a female, it is expected to bear fruit in 2010. It is still in its original pot, and stays, most of the time, in protective isolation in an experimental nursery, where it is sheltered from insects and diseases, and is fed specially filtered nutrients. However, it is occasionally taken outdoors nowadays so as to "acclimate it to the desert environment," as Dr. Solowey puts it.
Secondy, Dr. Cohen has been reluctant to release detailed genetic data on the palm before the results of his analysis are published in a scientific journal. He reports that the analysis is at "an advanced stage" prior to the submission of a paper which will be co-authored by his team and Dr. Solowey, and will appear in Science, the academic journal of The American Association for the Advancement of Science. Nevertheless, the following info has been leaked to me:
1. the palm is indeed genetically unique;
2. it has an 87% genetic similarity to the ancient Egyptian Hayani variety of p. dactylifera.
Thirdly, Dr. Solowey reports that although she has requested more seeds for further attempts at cultivating this variety, bureaucratic red tape has been undermining this aspect of the project. She further reports that, at its present stage of growth, Methusalah does not physically resemble other specimens of p. dactylifera growing wild in the Negev desert. (She is hoping for a DNA comparison in the near future.) Finally, Dr. Solowey is now contemplating whether to plant the palm out in the open or repot it in a larger vessel. She is very fearful of what might happen to the specimen if exposed to insects, the possibility of disease and physical accidents (such as being squashed by a tractor!). I asked her about the possibility of growing the tree indoors, and she responded that she has indeed been considering that alternative.
Meanwhile, the palm has become a sort of mini-celebrity here in Israel, with scores of people traveling to the desert to see it and photograph it.
I guess my next update will be when the scientific paper is published.

• Like 2

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Very cool news to hear about this rare treasure!  For the palm's sake, I hope it is kept in a controlled environment, at least until we have some viable seed!  Thanks for keeping us posted! :)

Shalom! Reuven,

I´d like to know the reason of the extinction of this P.dactylifera variety in Israel?  Who destroyed all this palms after the year 70?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

(Alberto @ Mar. 04 2007,18:44)

Shalom! Reuven,

I´d like to know the reason of the extinction of this P.dactylifera variety in Israel?  Who destroyed all this palms after the year 70?

The Palm Reaper?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hello Reuven,

thank you for the update, do you know what they plan to do for pollination if this is a female? Maybe it will produce both male and female flowers, after 2000 years it may not be willing to wait any longer for a suitable mate :D

It seems like they would turn over more seeds for research, especialy since one has proven to germinate.

They may not get another chance at this because any viable seeds that may be left, might not stay that way for long.

Regards, Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

(Alberto @ Mar. 04 2007,18:44)

Shalom! Reuven,

in 1516 The Ottoman Empire began their rule over Palestine. Known for their grievous taxes, they actually taxed every tree. Although you wouldn't know it today, the region actually had forests. But to avoid this tax many of the trees were destroyed :( .

I'm not saying this is why this particular palm vanished, but it could certainly be a factor.

Israel, however, has been very serious about replanting the vegetaion that was abundant centuries ago, and has had alot of success :)

Reuven, I wish you much success with this very special specimen!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Alberto @ Mar. 05 2007,04:44)

Shalom! Reuven,

The educated guess of many experts is that the variety actually became extinct by about 500 AD; when the Revolt was crushed in 73 AD, the Jews (Judeans) could no longer cultivate the variety commercially, and the Romans, as a punishment, initiated the gradual, albeit rapid, process of extinction by cutting down and destroying the male trees. (This was a standard penalty paid by those who failed to cooperate with the Romans.)

There is also the possibility that the Romans plowed salt into the earth to make replanting impossible, as has been documented in some of their other conquests. At any rate, the combination of forced neglect and active destruction inevitably led to the extinction of the variety. The Ottoman Turks, BTW, cut down millions of other trees, not as a punishment but for construction purposes, and nearly caused the extinction of many other tree species.

Beginning in the 1890's, when Jews began returning to Palestine en masse, reforestation of the region began, reaching massive proportions, thanks mainly to the considerable efforts of the JNF (Jewish National Fund), set up specifically for that purpose. Nowadays, the overwhelming majority of trees existing in Israel are the results of fanatical reforestation.

Tu B'Shevat, whose American equivalent is Arbor Day, is the national Israeli holiday on which thousands of trees are planted annually by schoolchildren, forest rangers, farmers and even tourists. Methusalah, the sole existing specimen of the Judean Date Palm, was planted as a seed on this very holiday.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(mike453 @ Mar. 05 2007,08:22)

Hello Reuven,

thank you for the update, do you know what they plan to do for pollination if this is a female?  It seems like they would turn over more seeds for research, especialy since one has proven to germinate.

They may not get another chance at this because any viable seeds that may be left, might not stay that way for long.

The researchers I've been in touch with have not yet crystallized plans for pollination; they are still too busy keeping Methusalah viable and attempting to procure more seeds.

They are also seriously considering both offshoot and tissue culture propagation, the latter of which has already been in use for the Medjool variety of p. dactylifera quite successfully. They are also very frustrated by the various bureacratic hurdles in their attempts to get hold of more seeds.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(Scott @ Mar. 05 2007,08:29)

in 1516 The Ottoman Empire began their rule over Palestine. Known for their grievous taxes, they actually taxed every tree. Although you wouldn't know it today, the region actually had forests. But to avoid this tax many of the trees were destroyed :( .

I'm not saying this is why this particular palm vanished, but it could certainly be a factor.

!

Not really; in point of fact, the variety became extinct well before the Ottomans could wreak their havoc.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(rubyz @ Mar. 05 2007,01:52)

They are also very frustrated by the various bureacratic hurdles in their attempts to get hold of more seeds.

Yes, I can understand this :(  We seem to have the same problem here :(

Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

(PiousPalms @ Mar. 05 2007,00:23)

For the palm's sake, I hope it is kept in a controlled environment, at least until we have some viable seed!  

As I pointed out in my post above, the palm is actually housed indoors in a very controlled situation; Dr. Solowey has been looking after it like a doting mama!

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(mike453 @ Mar. 05 2007,09:02)

(rubyz @ Mar. 05 2007,01:52)

They are also very frustrated by the various bureacratic hurdles in their attempts to get hold of more seeds.

Yes, I can understand this :(  We seem to have the same problem here :(

Idiocy reigns everywhere as far as bureaucracy is concerned; at least we don't have to put up with the Italian Bureaucracy, which has perfected Delay And Stall to an art form. (No offense intended to our Italian brethren!)

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

thank you for the update (pun intended)

may the IPS Biennial eventually arrive in Israel

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Getting published in Science is great in terms of getting international attention.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(palmazon @ Mar. 05 2007,15:43)

may the IPS Biennial eventually arrive in Israel

Right. "Eventually" is very politically correct.

Sort of reminds me of an expression we use here very widely: "Oad meh-AHT." It means "in a little while," and when an Israeli says it, you know it will never happen.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(Dave-Vero @ Mar. 05 2007,16:29)

Getting published in Science is great in terms of getting international attention.

Agree. The folks involved in this project are no slouches; they are all top-flight, experienced researchers who are quite aware of the significance of what they are doing. Fortunately for me, and for all interested, they are also friendly, cooperative sorts who are willing to communicate and explain. I have been given permission to phone and e-mail them as I please.

The moment I find out when the article is expected to be published, I'm going to purchase a subscription to Science.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Is there a way you you can post a picture of it?  Or at least a full size one of your Avatar?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(m_crowther @ Mar. 05 2007,16:52)

Thanks for the update rubyz, could you please post a larger picture of this palm so we can see it better?

I have sent you an e-mail with my e-mail address.

Perhaps someone could instruct me as to how to post a pic. I have uploaded some pics on the Photobucket site, but I can't seem to get any of the pics into my posts.

Thanks.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

copy the "IMG code" underneath your picture on the photbucket website and paste it into a message on this website!  Should post the pic here then...

This is incredibly interesting and frustrating, at the same time. Can't imagine what possible reasons whomever would have, in not allowing some additional seeds to be germinated, to restore an extinct palm. I mean how often does this opportunity present itself? Would like to be able to help somehow, in convincing the powers that be, to release addtl. seeds. Is there anyone we could write and plead to or could we as a group petition them maybe? Maybe if enough palm societies requested this it might help.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 05 2007,20:32)

This is incredibly interesting and frustrating, at the same time. Can't imagine what possible reasons whomever would have, in not allowing some additional seeds to be germinated, to restore an extinct palm. I mean how often does this opportunity present itself? Would like to be able to help somehow, in convincing the powers that be, to release addtl. seeds. Is there anyone we could write and plead to or could we as a group petition them maybe? Maybe if enough palm societies requested this it might help.

Naturally, I posed this question to Dr. Solowey during one of our phone interviews. She explained, in general terms, how the seeds themselves are considered to be archeological artifacts, and since up till now, only one out of ten seeds has germinated, the risk of destroying the overwhelming majority of seeds is considerable.

As for petitioning the relevant people at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem (where the seeds are being stored), I think this may be an excellent idea. I would like to speak with the researchers about how effective this might be, and obtain the name and address of a designated recipient.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Thanks for the posting rubyz,

I look forward to hearing future updates! :)

Sunshine :)

Noosa Hinterland

Reuven,

I would be happy to get people from the South Florida Palm Society to petetion for obataining more seeds.  If I can help please let me know!

Bill

(PiousPalms @ Mar. 06 2007,02:12)

Reuven,

I would be happy to get people from the South Florida Palm Society to petetion for obataining more seeds.  If I can help please let me know!

Bill

Thanks much, Bill.

I'll be in touch with Dr. Solowey tomorrow and then let you know.

Matt, thanks for posting the pics of Methusalah.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Thanks to all for the posting. It looks much smaller in your Avatar!!! :D

It appears to be a good 3-5 gal size, usually a good sign it will make it!!!

I saw one of those at Home Depot Today.....Not!

I did not know there were more seeds available.

Great Story Keep us posted.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

(The Germinator @ Mar. 06 2007,11:33)

I saw one of those at Home Depot Today.....Not!

I did not know there were more seeds available.

Great Story Keep us posted.

Strange as it may seem, the Home Depot in my area (there actually is one!) didn't have any.

BTW, one of the EPS members posted me a link to a pic of a young palm around which a protective metal cage was set up; this could be a really brilliant contraption for the Judean Date if the research team decides to plant it somewhere outdoors.

I'm calling Dr. Solowey this evening about this and the possibility of petitioning the Hebrew University to get them to release more seeds for possible germination.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Very long lived indeed.

The toast should therefore be Locheim!

Apologies for my spelling.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

(Bilbo @ Mar. 06 2007,15:06)

Very long lived indeed.

The toast should therefore be Locheim!

Apologies for my spelling.

Regardez

No problem.

The next toast should be in three years, when it either flowers or (hopefully) fruits - or perhaps when they succeed in propagating offshoots or tissue cultures.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Based on the size, I would not expect flowers/fruiting for 5 years.....

(BS @ Man about Palms,Mar. 06 2007,16:26)

I think your expectations might be mistaken:

This palm is a normal size for its age, and p. dactylifera normally flowers/fruits at age 5.

Furthermore, I have seen very small specimens of the Medjool variety in fruit which were propagated by tissue culture.

So - size doesn't necessarily matter!

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(rubyz @ Mar. 06 2007,09:28)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Mar. 06 2007,16:26)

I think your expectations might be mistaken:

This palm is a normal size for its age, and p. dactylifera normally flowers/fruits at age 5.

Furthermore, I have seen very small specimens of the Medjool variety in fruit which were propagated by tissue culture.

So - size doesn't necessarily matter!

All the better then!  I hope it proves to be true...... :)

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 07 2007,04:02)

All the better then!  I hope it proves to be true...... :)

You're certainly not the only one!

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

• 3 years later...

I wonder how this palm is doing three years later? unsure.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Yeah, it being Palm Sunday.....would love to have an update. Googled it last week when I sent out a bunch of P. dactylifera seeds to my oldest daughters school with info. on Medjools and Judean Date palms during a week they were studying seeds. I couldn't find any new info.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I too have been wondering and searching for updates.... doesn't seem to be making any news lately - maybe that is a good thing and means the palm is growing normally. Figure anything different, would make the news... Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)