Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

S. Birmingham and T. fortunei at Jaycee Park

3 posts in this topic

I read about Jaycee Park in Raleigh having some Sabal Birmingham and since I'm nearby I visited a couple weeks ago and took some pictures. I figured I'd make an account here and share the pictures with you guys. Also, the Gary's Nursery website has some old pictures of these palms that you can compare with: http://www.garysnursery.com/RaleighPalms.html

They all seem to be doing fine, though the one Birmingham that's out in the open did seem to have a decent amount of damage on some of its fronds. Here in Raleigh, we did see single digit temperatures back in January one day, and I believe the high was at or just below freezing for that day too, but that didn't seem to bother these palms that much.

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

Thanks for the update!  I planted a Sabal Birmingham in my yard and hope to see it become a large palmetto in my zone 7b/8a climate.  Seems here that watering a lot helps the growth rate.  Mine withstood down to 12F with protection (a styrofoam cooler, no additional heat).

Sabals seem pretty resilient and cold-moisture tolerant.  With a bit of TLC  and increasingly warmer temperatures they may turn out to be a viable option for here.

I would love to hear and see any other anecdotes of Sabal birmingham or palmetto in zone 7b or 8a climates trucking along! 

I planted a gal sized sabal Birmingham in my Dallas garden in 2002.  It has been the slowest growing of any palm I've grown, sabal uresana has been a close second!  The trunk has about 18" of height w/ leaf tips reaching about 9'.  I planted a washingtonia filibusta that same year- it has more than 30' of trunk and a trunk diameter of 32".  I've found sabal Mexicana to be much faster than Birmingham in N Tx.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• TRACHYCARPUS FORTUNEI spear Pull
      By Coconut James
      I am New  to  growing palm trees since I live in the north. I have a new trachycarpus fortunei 10 foot palm tree I got  One  month ago it was grown in Florida and has
      never seen a  Cold winter when I got it. it was recently transplanted into a bucket from the nursery prior to me getting it. when I got the tree  Home I noticed the center  spear  was gray and pulled out and was all rotten.  And a few small  ones  in the center  wear loose as well I pulled them all out and began treating it with hydrogen peroxide directly to the crown is there anything else I can do and  has anyone ever seen this  before. will the tree grow it out?
      The rest of the tree looks gorgeous it has lots of dark green  healthy foliage but the center is just not growing at all it's only been about two weeks since I started  treating it with hydrogen peroxide every three days. any advice at all would help. 
      Thanks so much.  I appreciate any help at all 

• Controversial Trachies in Milan
      By pin38
      I thought this was interesting. Starbucks planted over 30 T. fortunei in the plaza near the Duomo Cathedral in Milan and it sparked protests and even vandalism. It goes to show the great transformative symbolism that palms carry, maybe more so than any other type of plant. Apparently this isn't always a positive thing to people.  I know that palms aren't really part of Milan's identity, though these aren't the first in the city.  I'd especially love to get the opinions of any Italians or Europeans on these boards on introducing "exotic" species (especially palms) to historic sites and structures.
      http://www.wral.com/milano-vice-palm-trees-near-milan-s-cathedral-spark-debate/16535816/
      https://www.rt.com/news/378003-milan-palm-trees-protest/
    • My mother's outdoor Trachycarpus fortunei!
      By DG57
      Hi, I'm Damien and a 30-year-old guy, and here is my first topic on this forum.  
      I live in the North-East of France, close to the border with the very small country of Luxembourg, in an average-sized city called Thionville. To give you an idea of my climate, please rather search the bigger city of Metz on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metz#Climate. It's a semi-continental climate that is intermediate between a true Dfb humid continental climate (Moscow, Russia) and a true Cfb temperate oceanic climate (London, UK).
      My mother has recently moved in her newly-built house on the outskirts of the city and I convinced her to buy and plant a palm tree in her front garden to give it a more exotic look. As I live in an apartment in the city center, I don't have the chance to have a private garden. This explains that. lol 
      Here are some pictures that I took before winter 2016-17, around September/October. After a few researches, I learnt that it was better to cover the palm during its very first winter spent outside with a special blanket purposely made for plants in colder climates. She thus had to do so. As incredible as it sounds, she won't need to do this again next winter for our climate, which nevertheless is cold to very cold at times between November and March. We have had snow these past few days, and in early December, we even had ice days (the temperature never went above the freezing mark during several days in a row)! Windmill palms prove once again their exceptional hardiness! I will take and post further pictures of her covered windmill palm later, next time I go to my mum's home.
      Thank you for watching.  

• Trachycarpus Palms In Native Habitat!
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have been looking for pictures of the trachycarpus fortunei in its natural habitat, they are harder to find. But I found this web page ( http://fragranthill.com/101/two-great-new-plants-from-china-part-one/ ) and it has a few pictures of the palm and other trachycarpus species in their native habitat. Also, does anyone have any pictures of the Trachycarpus fortunei in its native habitat? Thank you for reading!
    • Habitat collected Washingtonia Filifera Seeds and Sabal Birmingham
      By Collectorpalms
      Looking for 200-400 non hybridized Washingtonia Filifera habitat collected seeds in the USA.
      Also looking for 100 Sabal Birmingham seeds.
      personally contact me if you have some or any information: collectorpalms@gmail.com