Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

S. Birmingham and T. fortunei at Jaycee Park

3 posts in this topic

I read about Jaycee Park in Raleigh having some Sabal Birmingham and since I'm nearby I visited a couple weeks ago and took some pictures. I figured I'd make an account here and share the pictures with you guys. Also, the Gary's Nursery website has some old pictures of these palms that you can compare with:

They all seem to be doing fine, though the one Birmingham that's out in the open did seem to have a decent amount of damage on some of its fronds. Here in Raleigh, we did see single digit temperatures back in January one day, and I believe the high was at or just below freezing for that day too, but that didn't seem to bother these palms that much.

Thanks for the update!  I planted a Sabal Birmingham in my yard and hope to see it become a large palmetto in my zone 7b/8a climate.  Seems here that watering a lot helps the growth rate.  Mine withstood down to 12F with protection (a styrofoam cooler, no additional heat).

Sabals seem pretty resilient and cold-moisture tolerant.  With a bit of TLC  and increasingly warmer temperatures they may turn out to be a viable option for here.

I would love to hear and see any other anecdotes of Sabal birmingham or palmetto in zone 7b or 8a climates trucking along! 

I planted a gal sized sabal Birmingham in my Dallas garden in 2002.  It has been the slowest growing of any palm I've grown, sabal uresana has been a close second!  The trunk has about 18" of height w/ leaf tips reaching about 9'.  I planted a washingtonia filibusta that same year- it has more than 30' of trunk and a trunk diameter of 32".  I've found sabal Mexicana to be much faster than Birmingham in N Tx.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Here is proof windmill palms can survive the winter on Long Island
      Hi my name is Kevin and I am the owner of Island Wide Palm Trees, we are located on Long Island in New York. We sell palm trees as far south as Virginia and as far north as Massachusetts. 
      Here is pictures of one of my customer's Windmill Palms that have survived the past 4 winters. This spring will be 5 winters.  You can not ask for better then this.
      The best way to keep the trees alive is to have a good wrapping system. We have an amazing wrapping system that you can see on our website. 
      and here is a link to our Facebook video we posted last year about these trees. (wrapping and planting is extra right now)
      If you have any questions about how to keep these windmills alive feel free to contact me. I will be more than happy to try and help you.

• Ocean city may have come to their senses!
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Well first one I have seen in Ocean city proper. Going to keep and eye out for it every year and see how it does. Its right up next to the building facing south so should have an ideal setting. Might help it out with some ninja fertilizer treatments given OCs record of not giving a damn about plants.

• Spear pull x 2
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Well I knew there would be an attrition ratewith my plantation but I didnt think it'd be that quick and easy. Had 2 pull today sadly and checked all my others and they are stout still. Here's hpping they pull through, but we have had an exceptionally cold fall and have had 3 cold snaps already so the palms saw as low as 16F for an hour or 3 and 18 and 19f the other times. All brief with day times over freezing. They are mulched a little and under a canopy that prevents cold rain or snow to hit them their first year, not to mention the rope lights that prevent frozen soil above the roots and trunk.
      What puzzles tye heck out of me is the livistona chinensi and chamerops humilis look OUTSTANDING with no pull, while the trachycarpus had 2 pull. Lets just say my confidence is severly shaken. 

By Coconut James
      I am New  to  growing palm trees since I live in the north. I have a new trachycarpus fortunei 10 foot palm tree I got  One  month ago it was grown in Florida and has
      never seen a  Cold winter when I got it. it was recently transplanted into a bucket from the nursery prior to me getting it. when I got the tree  Home I noticed the center  spear  was gray and pulled out and was all rotten.  And a few small  ones  in the center  wear loose as well I pulled them all out and began treating it with hydrogen peroxide directly to the crown is there anything else I can do and  has anyone ever seen this  before. will the tree grow it out?
      The rest of the tree looks gorgeous it has lots of dark green  healthy foliage but the center is just not growing at all it's only been about two weeks since I started  treating it with hydrogen peroxide every three days. any advice at all would help. 
      Thanks so much.  I appreciate any help at all 

• Controversial Trachies in Milan
      By pin38
      I thought this was interesting. Starbucks planted over 30 T. fortunei in the plaza near the Duomo Cathedral in Milan and it sparked protests and even vandalism. It goes to show the great transformative symbolism that palms carry, maybe more so than any other type of plant. Apparently this isn't always a positive thing to people.  I know that palms aren't really part of Milan's identity, though these aren't the first in the city.  I'd especially love to get the opinions of any Italians or Europeans on these boards on introducing "exotic" species (especially palms) to historic sites and structures.