IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kev

I moved to Fresno, CA just a year ago, and I began planting King Palms. Unfortunately, I didn't have any success at the time. Luckily, I found @Josue Diaz in Fresno from Palmtalk, IMG_9469.thumb.jpeg.a6562894308ede577ba64e37d241f893.jpegJosue provided me with a lot of great advices about growing palm trees for my area and even invited me to visit his tropical garden, which is filled with hundreds of exotic palm trees that he has grown from seeds. These palm trees took years to mature from seed, but also look so cool when they're matured. While I can't name all of them, here are some of the palm trees he gave me:

- Serenoa Repens Silver
- Brahea Hybrid (aka Frankenbrahea)
- Brahea ArmataIMG_9490.thumb.jpeg.8f05c1877472688706168d5d41af54bf.jpeg- Chambeyronia Macrocarpa WatermelonIMG_9486.thumb.jpeg.e9ff79e228a3021be5bad581e0733354.jpeg
- Sabal BeminhamIMG_9497.thumb.jpeg.cdfa02da769e3aa323065db13a046333.jpeg
- Phoenix Rupicola

In addition to the palm trees, Josue has a beautiful section dedicated to Aloe trees, including varieties like Hurcules, Ferox, huge Thraskii, Speciosa, and many more that he grows from seeds. Furthermore, he also has a Ceiba Speciosa, which I had never seen before in person. This tree has large conical spines on the trunk, giving it them unique appearance, and they produce beautiful flowers like orchids. After showing me around for an hour now, I have gained a wealth of knowledge about the exotic palm trees that can thrive in Fresno, extending beyond the native species. It's great to meet people on here, and thanks to @Josue Diaz for his support and guidance.

Edited by Kev
Pic
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

It was a pleasure meeting you! So glad to be spreading palm love in this city! We'll stay in touch as your yard matures, I'm always looking for good homes for the many seedlings I grow that I can't possibly keep lol. 

-Josue

• Like 5

BTW, there is an aquilegia (columbine) in the pot with the Serenoa. It's likely our native aquilegia formosa. They pop up from time to time in my pots and I let them grow. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

BTW, there is an aquilegia (columbine) in the pot with the Serenoa. It's likely our native aquilegia formosa. They pop up from time to time in my pots and I let them grow. 

I was saying to myself, it must be some rare plant 😂 

On 5/20/2023 at 4:56 AM, Kev said:

I was saying to myself, it must be some rare plant 😂 

Lol