IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea stolonifera - kinder than brachypoda

PalmatierMeg

Scott in Nebraska recently posted photos of his potted Cham. brachypoda. Responses reminded me why I don't want this species: in my climate and in the ground, it is an invasive runner that overwhelms anything it meets. But I also remembered I have its mild-mannered cousin C. stolonifera planted on the east side of my back lanai. So, as I am on a photo-taking kick lately, I included it on my list. This little palm also spreads by stolon but at a slow pace I can keep up with. While C.b.'s stems appear straight, C.s.'s sprawl and twist, even crawl along the ground. The big clump came from a Palm Beach sale and I'd love to get another. Despite signs of flowering, I get no offspring - all plants appear to be female. Bummer

Chamaedorea stolonifera

57bcc1dd45df2_Chamaedoreastolonifera018-57bcc1eadd2ad_Chamaedoreastolonifera028-57bcc1f490908_Chamaedoreastolonifera038-57bcc1fca9eef_Chamaedoreastolonifera048-57bcc20673a67_Chamaedoreastolonifera058-57bcc21226ed2_Chamaedoreastolonifera068-57bcc21d0dc2c_Chamaedoreastolonifera078-

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have both species in a warm temperate climate. Both are currently growing nicely in a warm glasshouse. I am surprised with the bad wrap that brachypoda is getting regarding its weed-like status. Despite it growing by rhizome is it easy to control? Wouldn't it be a  matter of just digging it up where it comes up where you don't want it-I wouldn't imagine it creeps too far under the ground surface. You then have a plant to swap/give away. Am I naive? I do plan on planting mine out in the next couple of years. Wont grow as quickly for me as it would in Florida.

I don't think anyone here is giving C. brachypoda a "bad wrap". It is an absolutely gorgeous colonial tropical rainforest palm when well-grown and can be a superb tall ground cover for people who have the space, conditions and inclination to let it ramble. Points being made are that it is, a). entirely unsuitable for indoor (house or apartment) cultivation in temperate climates and, b). that it can, over time, cover a lot of ground and overrun smaller ornamental neighbors (e.g. bromeliads, other small palms, dwarf gingers, etc.) if left unchecked. While it is clearly not anywhere close to being as aggressive as a rattan or a running bamboo, many palm growers have limited spaces in their beds to dedicate to single species; so this one may not be the best choice if diversity in the planting is paramount. Invasiveness is relative. Many people (farmers, botanical gardeners, etc.) find gigantic, ever expanding plant colonies on their properties to be a good thing. I would hazard that gardeners with limited lot space generally do not.

I have grown C. brachypoda to large sizes in oversized pots outside in Guatemala and they do indeed thrive up until some time after they fill up the space in the pots. Obviously they can be kept trimmed back by clipping rhizomes every year or so...the question is whether this is a desirable trait for the grower? There is often a big difference between growing a potted palm in a climate-controlled greenhouse for a few years and how they perform in a garden on the other side of the glass over the period the grower maintains an interest in it.

I have seen very nice-looking C. stolonifera being grown outdoors in a garden nearby in the SF Bay Area and is indeed a better choice for cooler, drier climates than C. brachypoda. This is hardly surprising give their respective origins. As Meg points out, while it does ramble it appears to be a slower grower and puts a bit more space between stems than C. brachypoda on the edge of the colony.

J

10 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

I don't think anyone here is giving C. brachypoda a "bad wrap". It is an absolutely gorgeous colonial tropical rainforest palm when well-grown and can be a superb tall ground cover for people who have the space, conditions and inclination to let it ramble. Points being made are that it is, a). entirely unsuitable for indoor (house or apartment) cultivation in temperate climates and, b). that it can, over time, cover a lot of ground and overrun smaller ornamental neighbors (e.g. bromeliads, other small palms, dwarf gingers, etc.) if left unchecked. While it is clearly not anywhere close to being as aggressive as a rattan or a running bamboo, many palm growers have limited spaces in their beds to dedicate to single species; so this one may not be the best choice if diversity in the planting is paramount. Invasiveness is relative. Many people (farmers, botanical gardeners, etc.) find gigantic, ever expanding plant colonies on their properties to be a good thing. I would hazard that gardeners with limited lot space generally do not.

I have grown C. brachypoda to large sizes in oversized pots outside in Guatemala and they do indeed thrive up until some time after they fill up the space in the pots. Obviously they can be kept trimmed back by clipping rhizomes every year or so...the question is whether this is a desirable trait for the grower? There is often a big difference between growing a potted palm in a climate-controlled greenhouse for a few years and how they perform in a garden on the other side of the glass over the period the grower maintains an interest in it.

I have seen very nice-looking C. stolonifera being grown outdoors in a garden nearby in the SF Bay Area and is indeed a better choice for cooler, drier climates than C. brachypoda. This is hardly surprising give their respective origins. As Meg points out, while it does ramble it appears to be a slower grower and puts a bit more space between stems than C. brachypoda on the edge of the colony.

J

I wish mine would take over immense areas of my garden! Mine is from you by way of Silvia. It has done nothing for two years.I recently moved it to a more open spot with dappled sun and lots of leafy mulch.There was no sign of new rhizomes emerging.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Scott:

Glad to read you have that male clone. Surprised it's been a bust for you. Knowing the Ps, suspect they were not particularly generous with the division, in spite of having way quite a bit of it both in the greenhouse in Z 10 and the garden at Mariscos. No new growth suggests to me that it hasn't rooted properly either. You might way to pull it out of the ground, drop it into an oversized pot and submerge roots to just over top of the stolons with well-composted oak leaf litter (broza cernida), which is usually available by the bag at Botanik or Jardines de Babilonia. Give it six months to reset in moist, shady spot and see if you've got it re-rooted. Have not heard of anyone else having problems growing it down there, so something must have set it back before you got it.

Have you seen same accession growing free at La Concha? They have it in the main house garden, behind the pool and under the shade of a big amate. Last year when I was there it had gone fully bananas after a decade's worth of growth. I am guessing they have rogued out quite a bit of it by now or it's run over into some of his prized zamia plantings. What a beautiful critter it is, though. The lightest breeze sends the leaves on that colony fluttering like hundreds of butterfly wings.

J

37 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

Scott:

Glad to read you have that male clone. Surprised it's been a bust for you. Knowing the Ps, suspect they were not particularly generous with the division, in spite of having way quite a bit of it both in the greenhouse in Z 10 and the garden at Mariscos. Have you seen same accession growing free at La Concha? They have it in the main house garden, behind the pool and under the shade of a big amate. Last year when I was there it had gone fully bananas after a decade's worth of growth. I am guessing they have rogued out quite a bit of it by now or it's run over into some of his prized zamia plantings. What a beautiful critter it is, though. The lightest breeze sends the leaves on that colony fluttering like hundreds of butterfly wings.

J

Jay, you are right it was a tiny division. I will talk to Jaime to see if i can get a few more divisions and try them in several spots in my garden.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Hahaha! They never change.

Hopeless at "paying it forward"...

See my late edit above suggesting how you might get your start going.

Good luck,

J

Confine the stolonifera, too. They can run WILD, at least here in California. (Maybe everything goes wild in California . . . )

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My brachypoda has not travelled at all. It would be nice if it did, but it just sits there and looks like it did the day I planted it, more or less. Within my clump is both male and female but no seeds to report ever. Been in the ground a good four years.

I look forward to seeing how mine performs in the ground. It will probably be on the smaller side given we have cool winters. I also have stolonifera. I will plant them out at the same time and compare.

Chamaedorea brachypoda is very susceptible to nematodes on our sandy soil here in Orlando. It is hard to keep them alive unless they are planted in a low area with heavier soils. Chamaedorea stolonifera is one of the more nematode resistant Chamaedorea and grows well in in the sandy soil as long as it gets shade and is kept moist. It spreads but not uncontrollably. 

There used to be a huge colony of C. brachypoda at the FIT campus in Melbourne. It was back in a swampy area near the stream. Then years ago the uneducated landscape maintenance people began weed eating the area for some reason. The palms grew back for awhile then gave up. Now that they have a botanical focus again, this palm is gone.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a