IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo palm

edric

In spite of a couple of hard freezes and way too many frost events, the spring like daytime highs and distinct lack of a "normal" winter pattern have confused a lot of plants here. I have Butia capitata and queens blooming in Dec/January. Surprisingly, the stone fruit crops are blooming on schedule. Not sure if their blooming is triggered by average temps or daylight hours.

first time I ever noticed it doing that, Ed

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

In spite of a couple of hard freezes and way too many frost events, the spring like daytime highs and distinct lack of a "normal" winter pattern have confused a lot of plants here. I have Butia capitata and queens blooming in Dec/January. Surprisingly, the stone fruit crops are blooming on schedule. Not sure if their blooming is triggered by average temps or daylight hours.

first time I ever noticed it doing that, Ed

I had allways thought it was daytime hours. But,, seeing Eds Butia is flowering just like mine means that temps are more prevelent.

Looks like i will get a jump this year at hybridizing and i will also get to hit my B.Eriospatha which usually only flowers during winter to set hybrid seed this year!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

The Butia's In Parrish Florida did not stop producing flowers all year this year. My records that were given to me on observation of the butias and the flowers they produce since 2005 by Mark Lynn and his cat here show that this is the first time since 2007 that the trees did not slow down.

The trees seem to be flowering twice the amount as that 2007 season. I can only imagine what May will bring being the peak month.

The queens have starting putting off inflorescence in central Florida two weeks ago.

it sure is green.

Thanks Paul, it has huge pines both East, and West of it, it really helps, (camera facing north, roadside behind me), Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed, did you plant this Pindo Palm from seed? Do you or anyone have experience trying to germinate a Pindo Palm seed? They seem to have one of the thickest outer shells I have ever encountered. Thank you for any help. Crew Chief Scott

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Ed, did you plant this Pindo Palm from seed? Do you or anyone have experience trying to germinate a Pindo Palm seed? They seem to have one of the thickest outer shells I have ever encountered. Thank you for any help. Crew Chief Scott

Hi Scott, I dug it up at the base of the dead mother tree, on Cape property, it was just pushing it's third leaf then in 1994, I've got one 1 gallon, from one of the seeds off of it, they take up to 18 months to germinate, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I have spent 3 years here in Butia habitat and also have them in my garden.

Last year they bloomed very early and proliferously , this year winter was much longer and colder and they started blooming much later.

I took seeds from the population on the beach as early as november last season, but this season it was mid January before I found any seeds ripe at all, and the harvest is much lower. The seeds are also almost all destroyed by boring insects this year as there is less flowers to go round.

I am sure therefore that winter temperatures are important and its not about light levels.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Thanks Ed for the history on your palms. Did you just put the seeds into a container and let nature do it's thing? Nigel, do you have any expedited method to speeding up the germination process. I have taken all of the fruit off myself...yum, yum...soaked them for over a week, bleach bath for 15 minutes, put about 60 cloth wrapped seeds into sealed baggies. Some say use a nut cracker, but harm can occur internally to the seed. My incubator is about 90-95 degrees F 24/7. Just looking for the industry's best kept secret. Crew Chief Scott

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Thanks Ed for the history on your palms. Did you just put the seeds into a container and let nature do it's thing? Nigel, do you have any expedited method to speeding up the germination process. I have taken all of the fruit off myself...yum, yum...soaked them for over a week, bleach bath for 15 minutes, put about 60 cloth wrapped seeds into sealed baggies. Some say use a nut cracker, but harm can occur internally to the seed. My incubator is about 90-95 degrees F 24/7. Just looking for the industry's best kept secret. Crew Chief Scott

Hi Scott, 60/40 coco peat/perlite, 4 inch container, water when almost dry, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 1 year later...

Any update on the Pindo?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages