IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Pedro, Jeremy Foley's time has come and gone. Spurrier's hiring had nothing to do with Foley and Foley was one of the reasons for his departure. Foley's HC choices were Ron Zook and WM. Pres. Machen brought UM from Utah. This nonsense about keeping WM will be dispelled by Seminole beat down this weekend. Ticket sales are plummeting as Boosters prefer not to waste time on a meaningless product. This is a very fluid situation and it would not be surprising to see total housecleaning by Machen of both JF and WM notwithstanding token initial support. The bottom-line is deniro and if JF and WM loose support of the Alumni, they are toast. Football revenue drives the whole parade.

Many very attractive potential hires exist. Vandy coach, James Franklin, has done quite well beating Florida, Georgia and Tennessee but is upset by lack of support at Vandy. Charlie Strong is certain to get a close look and do not be shocked to see a return of SOS. I am not worried about potential coaches and the opportunity presented by Florida. They will come.

My best friend has a buddy whose son is on the team. According to the player, WM has lost the team. Chaos reigns. Once a coach looses the team and his only defense is to throw the offense under the bus, its over. I agree with Len that there are micromanaging techniques undertaken by WM that are Kiffenesque.

These things are always sad but once chaos descends on a program, there is only one option. One door closes and another opens. It is the only way to right the ship. Once it happens, healing begins and a new spirit takes over. Some format of hybrid delays healing and that is simply a floater to gauge response during a fluid situation.

It is more than a bit humorous to view Cane and Nole support for retention of WM. That in itself speaks volumes. Great talent exists in Florida and no coach worth his salt will have trouble recruiting appropriate talent from the State of Florida while fulfilling the role of HC. It presents a great opportunity for any coach and ultimately the alumni and fans win this battle. I am not surprised by floating test balloons. Programs can be turned around almost immediately. See Auburn.

What you look for is what is looking

UCF is the 2nd best team in the State...where'd that come from? Hope Foley gives Muschamp a contract extention, even though he is under contract until 2017. FAU, USF, FIU will flourish and UF will be the 7th best team in the state!! Pay Muschamp the $8M to buy him out and move on. He should have been fired at half time of the Georgia Southern game...UF lost to a team that did not complete a pass in the game!!

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dollar - if you like being 4-8 stand up and holler :violin:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Wow - Auburn just defeated Alabama in the Iron Bowl with no time left on the clock. 100 yard return on missed field goal. :wub:

Epic win! B)

Destiny vs Dynasty - Best quote I have heard in a while. Don't get me wrong, I was NOT pulling against Alabama. The Alabama football program is legendary and deserves all of the credos it gets. But who cannot pull for the underdogs who refuse to give up, even literally to the very last second. Thanks Auburn for a game of the decade, if not century.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Most unbelievable ending Ive ever seen...with the exception of the "band on the field" ending of the Cal-Stanford game back in the 1980's

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Most unbelievable ending Ive ever seen...with the exception of the "band on the field" ending of the Cal-Stanford game back in the 1980's

This was mine. I was in the stadium as a young teen watching the game with my Dad. And yes, as the book said it did seem like everyone jumped out of their seat 10 feet. I was in the middle of an intense burst of energy I will likely never again experience in my lifetime.

http://books.google.com/books?id=g9QiFYrISDgC&pg=PT121&lpg=PT121&dq=lsu+bert+jones+ole+miss&source=bl&ots=n76ptGrTmd&sig=ayW56Ni6O3zjhAm18NUFaBrk_qU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5pCaUuXOIoPpoASL2oH4BA&ved=0CGwQ6AEwDA#v=onepage&q=lsu%20bert%20jones%20ole%20miss&f=false

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Where were you?

I had been home for maybe 10 minutes from returning home from a trip to Roanoke Va, when I turned on the TV and instantly watched the Auburn vs Alabama game when I saw Auburn tie the score and then watched the missed field goal attempt that turned in to a 100 + yard run back to a shocking win for the Tigers. NOW......that was bad ass!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

UW seems to have made out the best so far with the hire of Petersen to HC.

UF OC hire should be interesting, or potentially incredibly boring.

Meeting of minds between Kiffin and Saban? Strange stuff.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 weeks later...

They did. They also made some good hires. it will be tough next. There is a chance we will only dress 45 scholarshiped kids.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Man, what a game. Incredible.

Give it to Auburn, one hell of a defense. Still, not enough. FSU NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

Congratulations to Florida State and Auburn certainly showed that they are also a great team. This is inspirational to a Gator, giving full consideration to the fact that Auburn's record last year was virtually identical to the horrible Gators this year. Tank, it can be done. I really like our Duke OC in Roper together with the USC O-Line Coach.

I believe we have watched in real time a major change in College Football with the Up Tempo Offense. When Duke goes toe to toe with TAMU and JM, these times, they are a changing. I sincerely hope that WM allows Roper free range and hands off. If so, the Gators have the talent now to do a Wareagle turn around.Look forward to an inexplicably red shirted Alvin Bailey together with the 5'6/220/4.4 Adam Lane. Also, do not forget incoming QB Will Grier, who is a magician. If Driskel can wake up from Rum Dumb, he may do OK in the Up Tempo. That stated, we have never seen a more accurate passer combined with instincts and cat quickness possessed by Grier. Please remember JM won the Heisman as a true freshman and was rated two to three stars at best.

With all his foibles, WM is a great Defensive Coach. Accordingly, I am not worried about our Defense that will only get better when the Offense scores. If WM cannot roll with the punches, go Up Tempo and hands off to our new OC, he has pulled his own plug. Not too worried because I expect every talking head to commence with a review of how Coach WM, on the hottest of all coaching hot seats, performed. Great advertising for every prospective coach in the country to give appropriate consideration to what they could accomplish with the talent in the State of Florida. Tank it is amazing how clever our Ibis buddy Moose is. Virtually clairvoyant. Just kidding Moose, all is fair in love and war.

• 9 months later...

Thought I would drag the mega thread back to ask a Florida oriented question:

What will Will Muschamp have to do to keep his job? Win out? Lose to FSU but play in the SEC championship?

Always love seeing Florida beat Georgia, especially in this role as spoilers but now the coaching situation seems murky. I'm afraid that keeping Muschamp will set us back a decade as recruiting drops like a rock and we continue to be seen as a dead end for any QB or wide receiver prospect. Under Will, I'm afraid that all we'll be is a middle of the road SEC team.

I would like to move forward with a new head coach at my alma mater.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Also, I guess its as good a time as any to make a prediction for the playoff.

Ordered by rank at end of season:

1. Mississippi State

2. Oregon

3. Kansas State

4. FSU

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Too early to make the playoff prediction. CFB always delivers wild rides in November. Buckle up!

That's why its a prediction :winkie: . Take a chance, you might end up right.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Also, I guess its as good a time as any to make a prediction for the playoff.

Ordered by rank at end of season:

1. Mississippi State

2. Oregon

3. Kansas State

4. FSU

How far the mighty have fallen since this thread was started. :) SC and UF.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

What goes up, must come down. Reference Nebraska Cornhuskers. SC and UF will be back. It may take a while. Reference Nebraska Cornhuskers.

I'd like to know if now that football is a playoff, can wr drop the FBS and FCS labels? Seems that 1A and 1AA are much more accurate names now. And a helluva lot less confusing.

I'm definitely not going to put money on that prediction!

Len, you not feeling good about Sarkisian? Kinda felt like the USC football team was moving in a positive direction. Not great, but not backsliding too much. Getting beat by BC was tough but it looks like BC isn't a complete doormat.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I'm definitely not going to put money on that prediction!

Len, you not feeling good about Sarkisian? Kinda felt like the USC football team was moving in a positive direction. Not great, but not backsliding too much. Getting beat by BC was tough but it looks like BC isn't a complete doormat.

I am willing to give him 3 years. He dressed 48 scholarship players last game and a few got hurt. It will take a few years to get back to 85 guys.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Jason, I believe it is fair to say we have a problem with our HFC at UF. His stubborn misuse of talent offensively and inability to adjust away from a basketcase QB like Driskel should constitute pink slip material.

Sadly, the Chimp is an outstanding DC and has not forgotten his roots. UF has a great defense but not even a great defense can remain on the field 75% of the time. The Chimp's failure to immediately employ Treon Harris as starting QB well before he did against Tenn. and Missouri show an innate lack of judgment and ultimately coaching ability.

`He hired a great OC in Roper, who immediately recruited Treon Harris away from FSU, where he had committed after UF had never even recognized him. This notwithstanding the fact that Treon Harris had engineered Miami Booker HS to a 30-0 record his junior and senior year along with the USA Today #1 National Championship. In the first game of his senior year, Miami Booker played the USA Today #1 HS team in the country from Atlanta. Treon's team was rated #7 and the game was played in a nearly full Atlanta Dome, filled with Georgia fans licking their chops to actually beat a top Miami HS team. Not on Treon's watch. The final score was 50-0 in favor of Miami and the Dome was virtually empty by the end of the third quarter.Not even the Glades can match the variety of HS ball played in Miami.Miami HS teams have repeatedly beat the alleged best team HS team in the nation preseason from Texas, Alabama and Georgia annually like drums. It is a different league.

Roper made it clear from the outset that the Chimp picked the starting QB. From Driskel's demonstration of no ability or feel in numerous painful episodes commencing in 2012, the Chimp proved to be the definition of stubborn. Driskel was his QB even though he confessed that his ground and pound offense was flawed and incapable of success. Poor Driskel, whether in the shotgun or under center, is the epitome of a stiff deer looking directly into the headlights.He has no vision or feel and looks directly at the center's tailbone. After receiving the snap, Driskel automatically takes a five step drop and looks completely mystified when he is dropped from the back side and either throws an interception or fumbles. Even his hand offs are telegraphed.

Perhaps this lack of coaching aptitude could be foregiven if the Chimp did not have "the answer" riding the pine in 2014. This was the Chimp's year. When he took the job at UF, the Chimp stated that the job demanded immediate success and no 5 year plan. This is the Chimp's 4th year and these are his players. The truly sad part of this is that the talent is on the team. UF could have actually been an outstanding team but for our obstinate head coach and his "dam the torpedoes" insistence on the use of Driskel.

Harris is the natural. Completely relaxed behind center, he watches the defense intensely while awaiting the snap. His hand offs are deft with no telegraph. Do not believe the press that he cannot pass. Not only is he deadly accurate compared to Driskel, he throws a ball with touch that is easy to catch. He also makes Driskel's pitiful indecisive running ability look rank amateur. Harris has decisive wheels.

This could have been the HC's year. If he had gone to Harris out of the box and spared us the mental anguish of watching Mr. Driskel on the verge of a constant nervous breakdown clearly attempting a role that that lack of success was a guarantee, things could have been very different. As it stands, the Chimp was forced by powers beyond his control to place Harris where he should have been from day one. It is hard to predict what this team could have been if we had a natural at QB from the start. This is a great defense that will give the remainder of our schedule fits now that it is not on the field 75% of the time. Also, we actually have a rather prodigious offense when the natural is at QB. All of this stated, the Chimp's time has been and gone. The same should be the case with that "rock star" Foley. I have no doubt that the Chimp will move on to success as a DC in college or pro but he does not have HC ability. Even though I fully expect the Gators to run the table now and that does include FSU, it remains a day late and a dollar short. Time to clean house.

Bubba!

I was hoping you'd make an appearance. Great post as usual.

I think if he wins out he stays, even if we don't sneak into the SEC championship, although Foley kinda stated that the expectation for any coach was to be competing for the SEC champ in 3 years. Assuming last year deserved a mulligan, Muschamp's time should be up.

Really worried about our recruiting situation this year and moving forward.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Alabama got thrown out of the front door, but now seems to be coming in through the bathroom window.

BIG game tonight down here in south Florida. The Canes vs Seminoles. RUN Duke RUN!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

BIG game tonight down here in south Florida. The Canes vs Seminoles. RUN Duke RUN!!!

post-1729-0-94927500-1416070702.gif

I smell an upset. Really.....

Three of the five hosts on the College pregame on CBS picked the Canes for an upset.

Hopefully UF can move forward now with a different coach

Florida lost a substantial lead over the last few years in the in state recruiting wars against Florida State and Miami. :bummed: