IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

TPIE 2008: Tropical Plant Industry Exhibition

Palmarum

- 1:32PM: Continuing through Botanics Wholesale's #535 booth, they had a well grown Coccothrinax miraguama standing right out in front. The flash seemed to cause the leaf undersides to glow. There were Chamaedorea metallica triples grown in short 3 gallon pots underneath, with a large Dioon spinulosum on the right.

2008-01-17_13-32-46.jpg

- Most Coccothrinax species have heavy details, so I always seem to get a few extra shots of the petioles and those fibrous leaf bases.

2008-01-17_13-33-02.jpg

- 1:33PM: The northern corner of their booth was marked by this strikingly beautiful Syagrus botryophora. It has been well fed for sure. Underneath to the right was a bushy Allagoptera arenaria.

2008-01-17_13-33-22.jpg

- 1:42PM: Moving along the back wall towards the south half of the auditorium, I came across Agri-Carts Manufacturing #3033 and their selection of agricultural and nursery equipment. They make many of the trailers and carts used by nurseries everywhere.

2008-01-17_13-42-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:43PM: You would had to have been blind not to notice this giant, bright and shiny new heater in Agri-Carts Manufacturing's booth. This is a new item for them. It is called the Blue Comet Heater and it produces, (prepare yourself) 600,000 BTU's (568J) of directed heat. That is not a typo. It can heat up to 11,000 square feet (1022sq.m) with little effort. It is entirely made from stainless steel, the outer casing, rivets, etc. It may be switched to run off of either LP or natural gas. It is thermostat controlled and has a heat or cool switch. You can get options such as wheel kits, stands and a few other things.

2008-01-17_13-43-44.jpg

- The fan blade inside is 24 inches (61cm) in diameter, made of aluminum and will move 6,860 cubic feet (194.2cu.m) of air per minute. Booyah, that's a heater! It is powered by a 3/4 Hp (559W) motor that may run off of 120 or 220 volt current. When operating, it can inflate 300 ft (91m) of poly tube. It sells for $2,795.00. I did ask about any special price on the show model and was told quietly if I had the cash it would go for a flat 2 G's. Maybe next year...

2008-01-17_13-43-28.jpg

- 2:19PM: Jeff and I had already made many trips to see Joseph in his booth prior to taking these photos, but it’s always easy to think of a reason to go talk to him and see his seeds on display. During show hours, there were always people in the booth. They were either meeting Joseph for the first time or had heard about Ortanique before.

2008-01-17_14-19-52.jpg

- The booth was lavishly decorated with the candy of palm fanatics spread out in bowls. If you look close, you might see them germinating.

2008-01-17_14-20-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Okay, now I'm drooling!! What I'd do to get an old man that size!! :o   That S. botryophora just rocks!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

- 2:21PM: Speaking of germinating seed, if you look at the bowl in the upper left corner of the table, you will see the first sprouting leaves of Carpoxylon macrospermum seedlings.

2008-01-17_14-21-24.jpg

- Don't they look perfect in that bowl? Even these seed could be yours one day.

2008-01-17_14-21-36.jpg

- I know I've said it before, but "look with your eyes, not with your hands." should be on a sign near these seed. While talking with Joseph, I lost count on how many people came up and either fondled, molested or handled his Double Coconut, Lodoicea maldivica seed. I personally love the "Is it real?" questions, since whenever you answer yes, they say "No, its not". At its simplest, it is always a pleasure to see Joseph and his seed spread.

2008-01-17_14-27-00.jpg

- 2:50PM: TPIE's New Plants & Products Showcase is a sub-event all to itself almost. It is a collection of everything new that is being introduced by exhibitors this year. Not every exhibitor has something new each year, but visiting the room is seldom a dull experience. It was held in two small rooms just outside the main auditorium area, on the way back to the parking garage on the first floor. Certain groups of plants to me will always look the same, as I do not grow them as much as others. A new shade of bloom color or leaf size might warrant a new cultivar name, but it can be hard to keep track of. To quote David McLean, a veteran of South Florida horticulture and an old friend of mine and inspiration to many: "There is a new Spathophyllum every 9 seconds."

2008-01-17_14-50-58.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

(Palmarum @ Jan. 25 2008,02:13)

Certain groups of plants to me will always look the same, as I do not grow them as much as others. A new shade of bloom color or leaf size might warrant a new cultivar name, but it can be hard to keep track of. To quote David McLean, a veteran of South Florida horticulture and an old friend of mine and inspiration to many: "There is a new Spathophyllum every 9 seconds."

I always think the same thing but with many of the new Anthurium, Aglaonema, and Syngonium. Sometimes a distinct one comes along but many times its hard to tell them apart. Now those colored leaf Ags that are starting to trickle into the trade are really nice.

I did notice several booths displaying Syagrus botryophora this year.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Gbarce · Posted on Jan. 25 2008,09:34

Were the seeds on Joseph's/Ortanique's table free samples????

Most of the seed there was for sale, with even some already to go in marked bags. For what he might sample, that I am not sure. I know he had to keep an eye on some of those bowls when his booth gets full of people.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan,You are one top notch Photo Journalist.This Board is very lucky to have you involved.

What you look for is what is looking

- 2:51PM: The spread of plants and products were very ornately arranged with platforms and shelving. When Jeff and I dropped off the Carpoxylon macrospermum 10 gallon (44L) for the showcase, the room was bare, even on Wednesday. The smaller palm was a companion plant to the larger one in the booth. It was a nice feeling to be able to introduce this species to the industry.

2008-01-17_14-51-48.jpg

- I started at one corner of the room and moved my way around, from plant to product. First up was this very bright and bushy Adenium ‘Hot Pink’ [PPAF]. It is a hybrid plant that promises to grow much faster than the regular Desert Rose cultivars. The growth is very vigorous and the plant branches freely. It has been developed by Oglesby Plants International #603 and they mentioned it is ideal for the retail market. When grown from a liner, it will produce a flowering 6 inch (15cm) plant in 16 weeks. Since it is grown from tissue culture, it has high consistency and disease resistance compared to seedling production.

2008-01-17_14-53-08.jpg

- Introduced by the Dutch greenhouse giant Anthura BV #2619, Anthurium cv. ‘Fiorino’ is a new compact form of a flowering Anthurium. It will produce large leaves and bloom prolifically in either a 4 or 6 inch (10-15cm) pot.

2008-01-17_14-53-36.jpg

- The photo with the flash does not do the color of the bloom justice. The star-shaped inflorescence is really bright red. Guzmania cv. ‘Meteor’ was being introduced by Corn. Bak B.V. #2120 for the retail market. The plant is quite full and will flower in just a 6 inch (15cm) pot.

2008-01-17_14-54-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:54PM: This was one great looking bromeliad with a huge bloom, even for a Guzmania. The name of this new favorite is Guzmania cv. ‘Dianth’ [PP] and it is being released to the industry by Deroose Plants, Inc. #927, #1127. I made a trip on over to their gigantic double booth to inquire if they had any for sale only to find out the entire booth was already sold. The dark green foliage was a great contrast to the bright orange and yellow inflorescence. It was labeled as being fast growing and quick to bloom in a 6 inch (15cm) pot. I did not have a scale object handy, but that bloom is a good foot (30cm) across.

2008-01-17_14-54-50.jpg

- When I first saw these pots I thought they were made from some sort of resin, but I was way off. After further inspection I noticed these Circle of Life – Biodegradable Pots were actually a great idea and were surprised no one thought of them sooner. They are made from rice hulls and are fully biodegradable for the eco-friendly market. For now, they are produced in six sizes for both wholesale nurseries and to be sold in retail markets. The pots can be crushed and placed in a compost pile or mixed with mulch. This will eliminate waste altogether. A great way to grow your favorite plants while keeping some plastic out of the landfills. It was developed and put on display by Ball Horticultural Co. #1420.

2008-01-17_14-55-20.jpg

- 2:55PM: The showcase area was made to feel like a comfortable living room. Many were using the room to rest their tired feet or enjoy an overpriced adult beverage.

2008-01-17_14-55-48.jpg

- TPIE covers everything relating to the plant industry, including horticultural chemicals of all types. Primescape Products Co. #237 has come out with a brand new, all-natural insecticide made from a mix of botanical oils. EcoEXEMPT IC2 is a contact and residual insecticide that has been promoted as being proven to work on fungus gnat infestation. With its organic composition, it has an added bonus; it is exempt from EPA registration. This means you don’t need a license to apply this chemical. It has been recommended for use as a preventative drench, to be used on new incoming plants before they are placed in the general population. It sounded like it could have potential as an update to Organocide.

2008-01-17_14-56-26.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:56PM: From the makers of everyone’s favorite time-release palm fertilizer Nutricote, Florikan E.S.A. Corp. #1603, has come out with a new line of environment friendly Florikan Professional Landscape Fertilizers for turf and landscape use. Anyone who is familiar with how Nutricote works for containerized plants, will understand how this new fertilizer will work for turf grass and landscape material. It is available in 6 and 12 month formulas so you only have to apply it once or twice a year. It has been designed to reduce nutrient runoff that has led to poor water concerns, especially here in South Florida. This fertilizer won the Gulf Guardian Award that is sponsored by the EPA. For those of us who have used Nutricote and wished we could use it on turf grass and in the landscape, have an actual product made for just that.

2008-01-17_14-56-44.jpg

- The renowned tissue culture lab Twyford International, #429 has introduced this strikingly colored Aglaonema cv. ‘Pink Sapphire’ [PP#17,673] to the industry as part of their Java Jewel Series of colorful Aglaonema cultivars. They had a few different ones featured in their booth. This particular one was very bushy with small leaves and dependable color through multiple generations of tissue culture. It was destined to win an award…

2008-01-17_14-57-32.jpg

- A new bromeliad to the line produced by Corn. Bak B.V. #2120, this Guzmania cv. ‘Tinto’ [P] is a dark red companion to the bright reds and violets already in production. It promises to grow quickly and bloom in a 4 inch (9cm) pot. It had a big bloom and quite a few leaves for such a small container.

2008-01-17_14-58-24.jpg

- This flowering Anthurium had a small spotlight shining down on it, and the blooms seemed to shine as if they were waxed. I did not see any evidence of leaf shine, so what you see is what you get with this new plant. This is Anthurium cv. ‘Sierra’ and it was presented by Anthura BV #2619 in amongst quite a few aroids this TPIE. The plant was very compact and the blooms were quite vibrant. The description boasted a long shelf life; I guess it would suggest the plant was resistant to drought and abuse. It was recommended for 4 and 6 inch (10-15cm) pots.

2008-01-17_14-59-06.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:58PM This is a familiar, time-tested plant with a new splash of color. Cordyline australis cv. ‘Torbay Dazzler’ is a new introduction by ForemostCo, Inc., #1520. It has all the same growth and familiar abilities of the more common C. australis cultivars, but adds a new ‘twist’; of color and adaptability. It is listed as being hardy down to Zone 7 and also resistant to drought and heat.  It should excel in the indoor plant markets.

2008-01-17_14-52-16.jpg

- Out of the Dallas, Texas greenhouses of Casa Flora, Inc. #1801, comes this interestingly dainty, new fern for the retail and interiorscape market. That mound of thick and glossy fronds belongs to Asplenium cv. ‘Austral Gem’. It has very compact growth that supports some very sturdy foliage. These fronds stand up to packaging, shipping and display very well. It has been bred specifically to serve in the 6 inch (15cm) pot market. I was told by not only the display, but also the exhibitors that the plant is truly remarkable when it reaches its full potential size at 20 inches (50cm) across. Ferns are not usually my interest, but when you felt the fronds, you took a second look at this one.

2008-01-17_14-58-42.jpg

- Randy Strode and his band of scientists and developers at Agri-Starts, Inc. #2427 have been quite busy in the past year or so. They have come up with some crazy and unusual looking plants to put through tissue culture. They had a great spread in their booth and decided to place this new Colocasia cv. ‘Elena’ into the new plants showcase. It was not alone though, as there were some more Agri-Starts, Inc. introductions floating around the room. This new aroid boasts a compact habit of large, lime green leaves that seem to hang, all at the same angle. When the plant reaches maturity, the leaves develop dark purple veins throughout each leaf. They did not have a mature plant or a photo of one on display, but I figure the two colors ought to look amazing together. It will grow well in containers as expected and should do well in the landscape.

2008-01-17_14-59-26.jpg

- For what first looked liked a batch of rigid snakes, stuck head-first into a pot of soil, turned out to be a new variety of Sansevieria from the Philippines. Introduced by Greenex United States, Inc. #2711, Sansevieria bacularis var. ‘Micado’ has an interestingly upright growth and pattern mottling. The exhibitors had these all over their booth, in all sizes. They appear to grow well in any 4 or 6 inch (10-15cm) pot. They should have great potential in the indoor plant market. I can see thousands of them in clay pots coming to box stores everywhere.

2008-01-17_14-59-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

There were many more plants and products on display in the showcase that I had photographed. I chose the ones that I felt were some of the more interesting items. There was not enough time for every one of them to be looked upon, a common problem at TPIE.

- 3:00PM: Sometimes, plants are bred into larger and larger leaved varieties over time. In the opposite direction, certain common plants are made real small. This new Aralia cv. ‘Snowflake’ is definitely the ladder. The decorative pot is 3 inches (7.6cm) in diameter, and the entire plant is smaller than the display sign. The variegated foliage is very small, curvy and diminutive. The plant is easy to grow, like most Aralia varieties. The description says it will tolerate very low light and is slow growing, making it perfect as an indoor ornamental. It is another introduction by Deroose Plants, Inc. #927, #1127. None of that one for sale, either.

2008-01-17_15-00-26.jpg

- The parade of plants introduced by Agri-Starts, Inc., #2427 continues with this dwarf banana, Musa cv. ‘Siam Ruby’. It is nearly solid burgundy, speckled with blotches of chartreuse throughout the leaves and leaf bases. It is being introduced as a new cultivar from Thailand, even though I have seen them in certain collections and so have other industry people. I am glad it is being introduced here at TPIE, as more nurseries need to be growing it. It should do very well as a patio plant, as it will have even better color in more light.

2008-01-17_15-01-32.jpg

- This is another member of Twyford International’s (#429) Java Jewel Series of colored foliage plants. Aglaonema cv. ‘Pink Jade’ [PPAF] has dark green leaves that are reminiscent of jade plants, in both color and feel. The green foliage is broken up by the irregular spotting of bright pink throughout the plant. It has been advertised as one of the perfect new plants for 6 and 8 inch (15-20cm) containers. No doubt it will be showing up in garden centers and box stores in about a year or so. I saw the entire line of new Aglaonema cultivars in their booth, and I have to say, they got some amazing stuff.

2008-01-17_15-02-08.jpg

- 3:04PM: I made my way back outside to the entrance area after my brief tour through the New Plants & Products Showcase. There were a few information booths in the entrance area of the convention center, scattered among the different entrances and exits. This one, belonging to the Florida Department of Agriculture, Division of Plant Industry had their entire spread devoted to the new palm pest, the Red Palm Mite. The inspector on duty didn't seem to be too interested in being there. She did mention the presence of the red palm mite in Broward and Palm Beach Counties. At the time of the report, it had only been found in residential properties and not nurseries. It is probably just a matter of time before it does reach nurseries though.

2008-01-17_15-04-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- I remembered the earlier topic on the red palm mite and grabbed one of their fliers on the pest. I figured there would be some Forum members who needed this information. This flyer was up to date and had the most important information so far.

scan.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

PiousPalms · Posted on Jan. 27 2008,21:34

That Colocasia cv. ‘Elena’  sounds like it'll be a beauty when it gets larger!

That aroid will be a great landscape plant for S. Florida. No doubt about it. There were people pushing past me to get to it, just to feel up the leaves. I would not mind trying some of them. The exhibitors in the booth at Agri-Starts said they don't have any in production yet. This was just to show the newest of the new.

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:07PM: The open area outside the main auditorium seemed a little slow at this time on Thursday. Even though the majority of attendees were inside looking at booths, I could tell it was going to be the slowest of the three days. I decided to trek upstairs to take a look around while the day was coming to a close. Note: Taking photos on a moving escalator can be fun, if you’re going up, take note of when it will reach the top, before your feet get there.

2008-01-17_15-07-08.jpg

- 3:08PM: One of the places I always try to get to each year, is the private display room belonging to Costa Farms, #417. It is upstairs in one of the rooms that over looks the main auditorium. They have this room in addition to their large island booth downstairs. If you're wondering, the room is not cheap by any means. When your nursery makes $211 million in 2007 you do not need to worry about it too much. Not bad for a 2,600 acre (1052ha) nursery spread over a few countries. When Jose Costa started the nursery in 1961, he was using just 3 acres.

2008-01-17_15-08-24.jpg

- Spinning around 180 degrees in the same spot as above, I took this photo of the back of the room. The room was filled with bustling sales people, trying to fill orders as fast as they could. I over heard people talking about "ten thousand of that color, ten thousand of another color...” well you get the idea.

2008-01-17_15-08-40.jpg

- The view from the room always gives a sense of how busy the show is going. This angle only shows the left third of the main auditorium, but you can get a feel for how slow it was on Thursday afternoon. I could still hear the sound of general chatter through the glass, so it was busy enough. Some of the rooms that over look the entire auditorium were locked, so I could not get in them, yet...

2008-01-17_15-09-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:09PM: Another photo, same window, slightly different angle. This shot was a bit to the right as the one above. There were some great booth designs this year. The judging for the awards already took place and they would be out on display on Friday.

2008-01-17_15-09-22.jpg

- 3:13PM: I continued my trek up to the third floor, to see what panoramic shots I could get. Near the entrance, I peered outside to get a photo of the 17th Street Causeway Bridge. It crosses the Intercoastal Waterway and links Fort Lauderdale proper with the beaches. It was built in the 1950's and went through major construction about six years ago to make it more storm resistant. That area across from the palms is part of Port Everglades, and usually a cruise ship is moored there. That's one of Jeff's boats there in the distance.

2008-01-17_15-13-22.jpg

- The main entrance of the Broward Convention Center, in all its decorated glory. I took this photo as slow as I could, stopping down a bit to capture it as realistic as possible. It gave some decent depth of field as a result and the scene looked just about the same as it did in person.

2008-01-17_15-13-44.jpg

- 3:16PM: When you walked through the front doors of the convention center, you were welcomed with this tropical display. Many of the auditorium doors stayed closed, as they had checkpoints to look for badges and to make sure you didn't leave with anything. I wanted to get a better photo of the entrance, since the sun had crossed over already. It looked better in the morning.

2008-01-17_15-16-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:17PM: Books, small books, big books, books of all kinds. Every year I need to caution myself before getting drawn into the book display. It was immediately to the left of the main entrance and was just full of books on plant groups, horticulture and many fields of agriculture. I could easily spend hours in there and come out with a book I may or may not need.

2008-01-17_15-17-26.jpg

- What do you put on the front of the main table? Palm books of course. Ball Publishing put out a decent spread of the more popular books, mixed with some of the harder-to-find ones. Many of the industry specific reference books you can not find in any old bookstore. The prices were very reasonable and some books were on sale or had a show discount.

2008-01-17_15-18-02.jpg

- 3:31PM: Look what I found hiding in booth #2539, belonging to D'Asign Source Botanicals, one of the largest container grown Licuala orbicularis I have ever seen. I left the entrance area and took advantage of the slower foot traffic and made a bee-line to their booth. Since there were fewer people coming to and fro, it made the photography a bit easier. This palm was holding nothing back and was perfect for the display. Those leaves were quite rigid and the pleats in the leaf blades felt sharp.

2008-01-17_15-31-58.jpg

- As I was taking the above photo, I heard "No photography allowed" by a familiar, joking voice and got nudged by a crutch belonging to industry legend and forever-long time friend of mine David McLean. He was making his rounds of the show and came on by to say hello to IPS President and Forum member Paul Craft (Licuala). The exchange of humor between them was fast and furious. This was all taking place in the center of the booth D'Asign Source Botanicals had designed so well.

2008-01-17_15-32-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

WOW, that L. orbicularis is bad to the bone!  I would imagine they command a hefty price at that size!  It looks like I really missed out!  Maybe next year I will have to make my way down to this event and see if I can sneak in!  :D

Bill, that Licuala orbicularis was even better in person. It was flawless. I know for a fact it is considered one of the owner's "children" and is not for sale, except maybe for some incredible amount. I kept taking photos, in countless angles. I even have more to post. For next year, getting you in would be no problem. We could bring a large cooler and you could hide in that.  :D

Ryan

South Florida

This has/is one of my favorite threads yet!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Ryan, I looked at the 3rd photo in post 59 which shows the entrance to the show.  I believe that there are numerous Alcantarea Odorata as the centerpiece of several containers.  Those are some awesome looking bromeliads.  Any chance of a close up?

Outstanding coverage as usual.  Maybe I should stay away from Costa Rica and just wait for your photos!!  Nah, I think I will still show up.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

- 3:33PM: I could not help myself from taking photos of the Licuala orbicularis. It had some sort of magic draw to it that said "photograph incessantly". I added a price sheet that D'Asign Source Botanicals had in the booth as a scale object. It was a standard sheet of paper and it should give you an idea of how big the leaf is.

2008-01-17_15-33-32.jpg

- 3:36PM: D'Asign Source Botanicals Exhibitor and Forum member Keith Buttry (SCUBAKeith) poses next to the enamored Licuala orbicularis.

2008-01-17_15-36-00.jpg

- 3:41PM: There were many tropical plants and palms packed together in the booth. It would have taken too long to get it all, so I did a brief run through. This wide shot shows the front-right corner of the booth. In the corner of the display, supporting the sign was a Ravenea hildebrandtii. Next to that palm, and a little underneath was a very bright Pelagodoxa henryana. Across the path from those two was a Triangle Palm, Dypsis decaryi.

2008-01-17_15-41-22.jpg

- The Pelagodoxa henryana deserved a portrait photo, for it had great color and no flaws.

2008-01-17_15-41-48.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Trinidad! Bob Posted on: Jan. 28 2008,21:02

Ryan, I looked at the 3rd photo in post 59 which shows the entrance to the show.  I believe that there are numerous Alcantarea Odorata as the centerpiece of several containers.  Those are some awesome looking bromeliads.  Any chance of a close up?

Outstanding coverage as usual.  Maybe I should stay away from Costa Rica and just wait for your photos!!  Nah, I think I will still show up.

Robert

Hey Robert, I know the bromeliads you are referring to but I did not get a close up of the arrangements. There were a few times I walked passed them, but didn't think of it.

You better show up in Costa Rica :), you, like many others are on the list to be photographed. My collection wouldn't stand for it. :D

Ryan

South Florida

I saw that orbicularis on their office porch last month. WOW is it magnicent. :P  So perfectly grown it almost looks artificial!   Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

- 3:42PM: A short walk across the front of the booth, and after waiting for the foot traffic to clear, I got this photo of the opposite corner. Being as silver as he can be, is a large Pseudophoenix vinifera. This area of the auditorium got hit by one of those attendee 'waves' I mentioned earlier. It was shoulder to shoulder for a brief time.

2008-01-17_15-42-38.jpg

- The booth created by D'Asign Source Botanicals was an "L" shaped endcap, so this was the other 'front' you could say. Exhibitor and Forum member Keith Buttry (SCUBAKeith) shows something on the laptop to IPS President and FM. Paul Craft (Licuala). This side of the booth shows a huge array of tropicals including a large Calyptronoma rivalis in the back.

2008-01-17_15-45-46.jpg

- Paul and I spent some time talking about this year's Biennial to Costa Rica and how interesting it has been finding new people to attend. While standing in the center of the booth, I captured this Verschaffeltia splendida quietly attracting attention. To the right of it was a Licuala grandis with a Coccothrinax sp. to the left.

2008-01-17_15-47-06.jpg

- 3:48PM: I looked over the aisle signs and thought of where I hadn't been to yet. I decided to make my way back to home base with a zigzag path, on the constant lookout for the new and interesting. Always well-lit and wonderfully decorated is island booth #2421 belonging to Driftwood Gardens, Inc. They have their namesake interwoven throughout their display.

2008-01-17_15-48-22.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Ryan,

Great pictures and a tour for everyone to enjoy as usual.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great photos, great work Ryan, much appreciated from down under

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

- 3:50PM: At close to an hour before closing, the show still had a fair amount of foot traffic. I photographed and chatted my way to the aroid-engrossed booth belonging to Silver Krome Gardens, Inc., #1717. They have always been an industry leader when it came to the production and development of aroids.

2008-01-17_15-50-30.jpg

- Their booth held a collection of both rare and common cultivars, some were quite new while others are standards found throughout the South Florida landscape. When ever I am able to get to their nursery, it is always a learning experience. They have hundreds of cultivars and I do my best to learn them, but I am still just trying to iron out the genera. I have known Denis & (and his son) Bill Rotolante for a little while now and they have the science of producing a quality 4 inch aroid down pat. Every time I make it over to their booth to get a decent photo of them, one of them was not there.

2008-01-17_15-50-48.jpg

- 3:52PM: Right next door to Silver Krome, held a vibrant waterfall display created by Urdl's Waterfall Creations, Inc., #1517. They specialize in the creation of man-made rock formations. Many of the custom designs they featured in their brochure showed work done in gardens and zoos. They make free standing structures, such as waterfalls, and larger custom items like realistic tunnels and retaining walls. Their products are made from a composite material called PFRC, or poly-fiber reinforced concrete. It is 20% the weight of ordinary concrete. While standing in front of the display, listening to the waterfall, I got the sense the entire thing was made of solid rock. It felt very real to the touch.

2008-01-17_15-52-28.jpg

- 3:54PM: While attending this year's TPIE, I have noticed these Accelerator, root pruning containers featured in a few different booths. Many of the nursery supply exhibitors were featuring them, as they were more popular than last year. This particular booth, naturally belonging to Nursery Supplies, Inc., #1115, had them featured out front. The display had them in quite a few sizes, including the trays that fit the smaller sizes. The holes in the sides are part of vertical corrugations that guide the roots downward, hopefully to avoid root circling. I tried to procure a few of them to experiment with, but no deal. I figured if they might increase the container growth of a palm in the South Florida climate, the schedule of irrigation would have to be adjusted, but the holes would allow for some very good drainage. The flash kept bouncing off the pots like a mirror so I had to take this photo without it, requiring a slower shutter speed.

2008-01-17_15-54-50.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan,

Is that Urdl's from up here in Delray?

Those Accelerator pots look really cool...  I wonder if they are more like flashy fishing lures (made to catch the fisherman not necessarily the fish).   I have a feeling that unless they are made of a thicker guage plastic they would not hold up to the wear and tear of nursery life.  Surely a little extra air root pruning would help elimante root swirls and would most likely make for a compact root ball with more growth points...  But I just want to echo your comment, all that air in the pot means more evaporation and certainly LOTS more water.

The last few photos from Thursday came from when the day reached the 'quiet' time. Even though there was an hour left in the show's schedule, some exhibitors seem to duck out early. The desire to beat the traffic out of the convention center area is reason alone, but I feel you need to have someone in your booth until the clock strikes five. Through the art of observation, during the day I heard the excited glee emanating from sales people, who made significant sales to prospective clients. This short cheer was usually followed by a invitation to go to an early dinner, intended to be before five. This was a combination of getting to leave early, entertaining a client, and being able to put it all on the company credit card. For what ever the reason, the booths seemed emptier, to the dissatisfaction of some attendees, of which I also noticed.

- 4:00PM: There are certain exhibitors, that for each year I make the point of getting their new catalog or brochure. As I walk through, I grab them and scurry onwards. The 2008 catalog belonging to Horticultural Printers - Florida, Inc., #1106, was almost twice as thick as last years. They have added several new lines of labeling and printing supplies. Their material is found just about everywhere. The majority of nurseries that sell to retail have their custom labels printed by them. The materials they use last a long time in hot and wet climates. They have some printing supplies that will resist fading for five years in direct sunlight.

2008-01-17_16-00-10.jpg

- For those wishing to do it themselves, they sell a few different lines of thermal printers. These printers apply the necessary information to tags using heat and pressure. The result is a durable, waterproof, UV resistant form of plant identification. The machine pictured, is the Onsyte Xtra 5 thermal printer. It prints black up to 5 inches (12cm) across on a huge array of materials, from labels to signs, in different thicknesses and colors. It will print anything, from all types of fonts to bar codes, graphics and company logos. It will print up to 8 inches (20cm) a second. This machine has been designed with an 'wide open' configuration to facilitate the ease of changing parts. A joy for anyone like me who has ever worked on cramped electronics. It connects to the computer by way off all the familiar ports and uses the printing and design software the company also sells. The printer itself sells for $3,650.00 and comes with the print head. When the time comes to replace that, it will run you another $495.00.

2008-01-17_15-59-30.jpg

- 4:02PM: I walked past Bullis Bromeliads, #917 again on the way back to the booth, so I was inspired to photograph the completed display. This was the last photo from Thursday, with Friday coming next.

2008-01-17_16-02-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

PiousPalms · Posted on Jan. 31 2008,13:58

Ryan,

Is that Urdl's from up here in Delray?

Yes, I believe it is, unless there is more than one. The address for the company at the show is 2010 NW First St, Delray Beach, FL 33445.

Those Accelerator pots look really cool...  I wonder if they are more like flashy fishing lures (made to catch the fisherman not necessarily the fish).   I have a feeling that unless they are made of a thicker guage plastic they would not hold up to the wear and tear of nursery life.  Surely a little extra air root pruning would help elimante root swirls and would most likely make for a compact root ball with more growth points...  But I just want to echo your comment, all that air in the pot means more evaporation and certainly LOTS more water.

They were flashy for sure. They were the first item listed in their brochure and the prices were a little more than a standard container, which they also sold. They were made from very thick gauge plastic, I could not bend the larger ones when I tried. The ridges acted like steel I-beams and kept the sides from flexing. I would like to experiment with them, but with only a handfull, not a full order.

Ryan

South Florida

The second day of TPIE began like many have done before it. Some booths were filled with activity, while others were a little more laid back. That extra coating of leaf shine can't apply itself after all. After a repeat performance of scoring a parking spot in the 'exhibitor parking', we piled our gear into the booth and took a stroll around before the show opened.

- Friday, 8:22AM: Due to a school-free weekday, we managed to acquire extra personnel to help in the booth. Before they either vanished or fell asleep, I got a photo of Travis (Paintball Guy) and Braden next to Jeff with the Carpoxylon macrospermum.

2008-01-18_08-22-26.jpg

- 8:27AM: The original shot I wanted of the welcome sign out in front of the main entrance. The warm Florida sun shining through makes all the difference.

2008-01-18_08-27-54.jpg

- 8:41AM: To get this shot, I had to nearly lay on the floor. That massive Maypan Hybrid Coconut, Cocos nucifera X 'Maypan', had his fronds way up high into the lighting standards and roof structure of the main auditorium. Jeff and I were pondering on how they got it inside and placed within the display. Getting as far back as I could, and using the widest angle I had, I could not get the entire palm in the photo. The Areca Palm next to it, Dypsis lutescens, was all packed up and ready to go to a landscape somewhere. These two trees belonged to J.W.D. Trees, Inc., #115. The large Chinese Fan Palm, Livistona chinensis, that is behind Jeff actually belonged to another large field growing exhibitor, Manuel Diaz Farms, Inc., #107. I thought it was kind of ironic to find two giant field nurseries right next to each other. Their two booths combined to make one nice-looking palm oasis.

2008-01-18_08-41-28.jpg

- 8:43AM: In following the theme of large field nurseries, we went to the next aisle over to the palm-rich display belonging to Palmco, Inc., #233. The first palm on the left was a six-headed multiple Foxtail Palm, Wodyetia bifurcata. It was certainly packed together and was more than ready to go in the ground. In behind him was a triple Pigmy Date, Phoenix roebelenii, and an obscured Coconut Palm in the corner. The three palms in the center-back of the booth were Phoenix sylvestris, Bismarckia nobilis and Washingtonia robusta. Rounding out the side of the display was a Malayan Dwarf Coconut, Cocos nucifera 'Malayan Dwarf', a quad Adonidia merrillii and a very stout, solitary Foxtail Palm, Wodyetia bifurcata.

2008-01-18_08-43-12.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:43AM: With help from Palmco, Inc.'s Exhibitor Pete Rials, I took another photo of the Bismarck Palm, Bismarckia nobilis. Everything in the booth was for sale if you needed large material; you just had to carry it to your car.

2008-01-18_08-43-48.jpg

- 8:45AM: Here is a photo just for Kris. This is a packaged and ready to transport Canary Island Date Palm, Phoenix canariensis. Andrea Searle is leaning against the gigantic root ball that was dug for this gargantuan individual. I can not imagine what the weight of the tree would have been. That 'stick' up top holding the fronds together was a 16 feet (4.9m) long 4"x4" beam. The exhibitors at J.W.D. Trees, Inc., #115, were particularly proud to have this tree in their booth.

2008-01-18_08-45-22.jpg

- 8:47AM: Travis tries the handle on what he would want to be his newest toy. Kubota Tractor Corporation's (#339) booth was an endcap right near one of the concession stands so it got quite a bit of attention. The Kubota RTV 1100 4x4 was unveiled last year, but continues to be one of their most popular products. The one on display was fully loaded with additional options they have made available in the past year. It was diesel with a push bar in the front, power steering and a hydraulic-powered dump bed in the back. The interior was fully air-conditioned, heated, had a 4-speaker stereo, and a place for your GPS to go, (for those of you with larger properties). The list of options went on and on. I am sure many of you would drive this fun car just about everywhere.

2008-01-18_08-47-24.jpg

- 8:50AM: We continued to both visit friends and examine displays on our way around the show when we went by Deroose Plants, Inc.'s double booth (#927,1127). I noticed they have a few different Nepenthes cultivars in their exhibit including this one called 'Miranda'.

2008-01-18_08-50-02.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:50AM: Up-close and personal with Nepenthes 'Miranda', one of the new creations by Deroose Plants, Inc. This plant brought back some memories as I used to grow Nepenthes species quite a bit when I was younger.

2008-01-18_08-50-12.jpg

- 8:53AM: With Larry Searle back in the booth, we had some additional time to run around before opening time. We walked past Silver Krome Gardens, Inc. #1717, and noticed Randy Strode was visiting from his booth at Agri-Starts, Inc. Randy is on the left in black, (back to camera) standing next to Exhibitor Bill Rotolante, of Silver Krome Gardens, Inc. He is talking with Andrea, while Denis Rotolante (seated) joins in the conversation. Travis and Jeff look over the booth to the right.

2008-01-18_08-53-00.jpg

- 8:55AM: When you take aroids grown off of drip irrigation out of the nursery, you need to keep them moist quite a bit. Bill Rotolante poses real quick while maintaining the display with a sprayer.

2008-01-18_08-55-08.jpg

- 8:56AM: Across from the lush aroid display was a ornate bromeliad display. Bromeliad Specialties, Inc., #1820 featured the retail supply of decorated planters filled with small bromeliads and other air plants.

2008-01-18_08-56-06.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan-

I finally got around to viewing this thread as I was busy finishing the "florida expedition"...  GREAT as usual.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Bill,

I have spent more time reading your topic on the Florida expedition and the banquet than I've spent working on this topic. :D So many palms, so little time.

Ryan

South Florida