IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Desert palms

2palm

i live in west Texas so i'm sure you can guess how hot it gets here. (113°) my majesty palm is not doing well in health and i don't think it will make it through the summer. if it dies i will get a new one. need suggestions for palms that won't burn to a crisp. i know date palms in all but im not sure of any others and im trying to fine other options. love to hear you suggestions!

oh and im not worried about the winter hardiness i cant fit my palms inside.

2 hours ago, 2palm said:

i live in west Texas so i'm sure you can guess how hot it gets here. (113°) my majesty palm is not doing well in health and i don't think it will make it through the summer. if it dies i will get a new one. need suggestions for palms that won't burn to a crisp. i know date palms in all but im not sure of any others and im trying to fine other options. love to hear you suggestions!

I’m new here but my research into Medemia argun suggests it could be a good choice for hot desert conditions, just depends how cold you get there and if you get wet when you get cold. I understand these guys tolerate seasonal low average temps of at least 10 - 5 degrees Celsius at night so it could be an option. There is a bit of a story to go along with the palms history and ‘re-discovery’, enjoy 😊 

Washingtonia fiifera

Brahea armata

Nannorhops ritchiana

Chamaerops humilis "cerifiera"

Sabal uresana

Sabal mexicana

Those are what I would try, without understanding how much cold and for how long it lasts in your area.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Maybe even a Phoenix?

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

Probably bismarckia could make it or maybe phoenix canariensis also

10 hours ago, DTS said:

Maybe even a Phoenix?

possible for some phoenix species

On 4/15/2024 at 9:39 PM, Chester B said:

Washingtonia fiifera

Brahea armata

Nannorhops ritchiana

Chamaerops humilis "cerifiera"

Sabal uresana

Sabal mexicana

Those are what I would try, without understanding how much cold and for how long it lasts in your area.

how about w. robusta?

On 4/15/2024 at 4:11 AM, 2palm said:

Just out of curiosity, how often does it go up to 110+ F and for how many days usually?

previously known as ego

On 4/17/2024 at 2:50 AM, Than said:

Just out of curiosity, how often does it go up to 110+ F and for how many days usually?

it gets to that temp 15-20 times a year and that's constant.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 11:40 PM, shark said:

Probably bismarckia could make it or maybe phoenix canariensis also

i love both of those thanks