• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should i assume it's dead

BigBilly

I have a small trachy that Spear pulled back in January, It's April now and there's no new growth but it's still green.  Should I remove it? 

IMG_2546.jpg?ex=661a6dea&is=6607f8ea&hm=9289173802fe7dddab5bc0950ad872bd1d750d60ff0b17ef8562d64abe1dc1b5&

It always hurts me to replace a plant, but life is short and space is limited so I'd be tempted. But I have no experience with trachies, and that sure is a pretty one. I have a Bismarck in a similar situation. Fronds look good but the spear pulled a while back. Unless it grows before I pick up a replacement, it's gone. 

1 hour ago, BigBilly said:

I have a small trachy that Spear pulled back in January, It's April now and there's no new growth but it's still green.  Should I remove it? 

IMG_2546.jpg?ex=661a6dea&is=6607f8ea&hm=9289173802fe7dddab5bc0950ad872bd1d750d60ff0b17ef8562d64abe1dc1b5&

It's alive, don't pull it 

• Like 1

T.fortunei is one of the most resilient palms on earth. Pour H2O2 in the hole a couple of times. The first spear should emerge in June. It will be damaged, but later ones should be OK.

• Like 1

Don't remove it, it may take a couple of months to get going again.  High chance of success for them to recover. 

Not the same palm but I had a Chamaerops humilis spear pull in January/February following a Polar Vortex that caused a winter Bomb Cyclone, and I left it in the ground.  No other fronds died off and it just sat there looking like your palm.  I did treat with copper fungicide a couple of times.  It wasn't until the the end of August/September that I noticed some deformed fronds pushing through.  More than half a year.  

• Like 3

Since our move and a new garden nearly 5 years ago, I've lost probably a half dozen T. fortunei. All this in a climate that is known for it's success with the Windmill Palm. The losses have all come from nursery acquired stock. Most garden centers here that stock them, at least anything much larger than gallon sized, have them imported from California. All my locally sourced Windmills have faired far better. This leads me to conclude that these imports are inferior, at least initially while they establish. California grown stock isn't subjected to our local conditions and may experience the damage I've noticed, especially with the several repetitive La Niña winters. Even this year with a relatively overall mild El Niño winter, I lost the spears on a store bought palm.  My local seed grown counterpart is flawless.  At this point, it's unlikely I'll plant any more imports, but rather locally sourced and grown.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I checked the center today and it's back to growing 

Edited by BigBilly
  • Like 5

On 3/30/2024 at 12:04 PM, Las Palmas Norte said:

Since our move and a new garden nearly 5 years ago, I've lost probably a half dozen T. fortunei. All this in a climate that is known for it's success with the Windmill Palm. The losses have all come from nursery acquired stock. Most garden centers here that stock them, at least anything much larger than gallon sized, have them imported from California. All my locally sourced Windmills have faired far better. This leads me to conclude that these imports are inferior, at least initially while they establish. California grown stock isn't subjected to our local conditions and may experience the damage I've noticed, especially with the several repetitive La Niña winters. Even this year with a relatively overall mild El Niño winter, I lost the spears on a store bought palm.  My local seed grown counterpart is flawless.  At this point, it's unlikely I'll plant any more imports, but rather locally sourced and grown.

I noticed this years ago with Monrovia Trachies. Not sure if we have better seed here, or if the herd gets culled prior to going to market. We try to source our's from MS and AL or maybe NoFL.

Edited by SeanK