IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis baronii black petiole

happypalms

Time to pot my black petiole baronii out of 150 seeds I managed to get 120 seedlings bottom heating 30 degrees Celsius coco coir perlite mix in a styrofoam box with the lid an easy palm to germinate and grow now all I have to do is convince the golden cane buyers to convert to the baronii a much better palm in my eyes than the golden cane 

IMG_2631.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I found these really easy to germinate. One of the few species I have grown from seed and had a 100% germination rate.

31 minutes ago, RichardHemsley said:

I found these really easy to germinate. One of the few species I have grown from seed and had a 100% germination rate.

Pretty well much as easy as the golden cane to germinate and grow 

They would be a nice palm if they didn't clump.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Just planted out a 15g last night right before dark. Ahorita subo las fotos.....

I've read quite a bit about Dypsis "black stem" but haven't been able to find any info about Dypsis "black petiole". Has anyone on here grown one to maturity? 

Here's my bigger one. I got 3/10 germination from RPS but one died. No color as of yet.

20240309_115337.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, peachy said:

Peachy

Hi peachy I will try to breed a single trunk one for you but it may take at least 20years in my subtropical climate if you can wait that long 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Here's my bigger one. I got 3/10 germination from RPS but one died. No color as of yet.

20240309_115337.jpg

I got my seeds seeds from rps as well so a popular variety it is I hope they grow as fast as the standard baronii

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billy said:

Bingo! Sorry for the poor photo quality.

29FAB305-A407-43E4-ACFF-FC0B453F3762.jpeg

68D31A48-F06A-428A-B6E1-9713F5E2A4A2.jpeg

A13DE92F-8806-4110-A2F6-9338F9CA863F.jpeg

nice palm 

4 hours ago, Billy said:

I've read quite a bit about Dypsis "black stem" but haven't been able to find any info about Dypsis "black petiole". Has anyone on here grown one to maturity? 

Try getting seeds from rps in Germany 

On 3/8/2024 at 8:02 PM, RichardHemsley said:

They are easy to germinate as easy as a golden cane dypsis varieties are so graceful and so many to choose from as well 

15 hours ago, peachy said:

Peachy

I usually agree with this statement.  I make special exceptions for this one and onilahensis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, happypalms said:

Hi peachy I will try to breed a single trunk one for you but it may take at least 20years in my subtropical climate if you can wait that long 🤣

You can always plant it on my grave in that case.

Peachy

27.35 south.

6 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

I usually agree with this statement.  I make special exceptions for this one and onilahensis.

I have some tiny palms that are very pretty but prone to clumping so I just cut off the new shoots and keep them single but these get a bit too big for that. Once it resembles hard work I lose interest.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

27.35 south.

20 hours ago, peachy said:

I have some tiny palms that are very pretty but prone to clumping so I just cut off the new shoots and keep them single but these get a bit too big for that. Once it resembles hard work I lose interest.

Peachy

There’s an old single stemmed C baronii I planted years ago at my parents place. I’d assume some of these black petiole baroniis may turn out to be single stem. 3 of mine are already clumping at a very young age though. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

4 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

There’s an old single stemmed C baronii I planted years ago at my parents place. I’d assume some of these black petiole baroniis may turn out to be single stem. 3 of mine are already clumping at a very young age though. 

I saw a single stem golden cane once and it was a really pretty palm. With all this cloning and tissue culture happening surely somebody could come up with single versions of all the pretty ones. !

Peachy

27.35 south.

22 hours ago, peachy said:

I saw a single stem golden cane once and it was a really pretty palm. With all this cloning and tissue culture happening surely somebody could come up with single versions of all the pretty ones. !

Peachy

There is a solution peachy reciprocating saw 

• Like 1