• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coffee Growing

Cindy Adair

Who grows Coffee? 

Anybody can as I grew it in pots in my living room in VA even before I had a greenhouse there. 

Now that I live in the mountains of PR of course I can grow it much more easily. 

IMG_8438.thumb.jpeg.8df00fead0bbdf443c884f8679b66001.jpeg

IMG_8439.thumb.jpeg.c99cab414a0b0bc7b46301f9efcec369.jpeg

IMG_8440.thumb.jpeg.1ecd79dc45448e230573958df3313045.jpeg

The flower buds were likely triggered to bloom by the very unseasonable two days of lots of rain here. 

This plant is holding ripe red cherries and blossoms for the next crop.

I have planted several Coffea arabica plants on some slopes plus a couple of Coffea robustas.

I have seedlings to plant later, but I can buy inexpensive locally grown coffee from many places so processing is lower priority.

In fact the last time I drank coffee from my own plants was when I still lived in VA.

Still it’s a lovely plant and worthy in anyone’s collection. 

The big box stores and others sometimes sell small pots of mixed plants with many coffee seedlings in a single pot that you can separate out like I did in VA. 

Now I can just plant the seeds (beans) usually two per cherry and they germinate easily if fresh.

Please post photos of your coffee plants. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Hi Cindy I have grown the same one coffee plant for 23 years and it still produces seeds for coffee my ones are a bit of a weed around my garden germinating easily in my sandy soil a wonderful garden plant to have 

22 minutes ago, happypalms said:

Hi Cindy I have grown the same one coffee plant for 23 years and it still produces seeds for coffee my ones are a bit of a weed around my garden germinating easily in my sandy soil a wonderful garden plant to have 

I have 3 in pots that I bought last year. They were all in the same pot and I separated them. I keep them outdoors all year round. Winter batters them but they survive. However they grow very very slowly. Is that the norm?

previously known as ego

I have one larger plant that I was able to harvest about two dozen beans from last year and I recently bought a small pot with 7-8 seedlings from a grocery store houseplant section as you described, separated them, and plan to expand my little coffee growing operation. The climate and sandy soil is clearly not ideal here, and my big plant has had quite a few issues with pests, but it survived the transition from pot into the ground and even survived over-exposure to full sun last summer. They are clearly quite tough and as you said, very nice looking plants so I'm going to trial these seedlings in different locations around the yard. Plus I love drinking coffee, and if I even get a cup or two of home-grown coffee a year out of them that will make me very happy.