IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nursery pot sizes

miamicuse

I have an exceedingly stupid question but it's a bit embarrassing to be asking.

I buy 1 gallon water bottles and clearly a one gallon bottle is bigger than a 1 gallon nursery pot.  I buy 5 gallon paint that comes in a bucket that is clearly bigger than a 5 gallon nursery pot.  Why is that?  Is there a reason?

May be there are different gallons kind of like imperial tons and metric tons?

I think its because paint and water is more per gallon then soil, but i also never noticed that.

It's a good question - I've always wondered the same and just assumed it was a marketing scheme/scam pulled by someone in the nursery container industry long ago, and the standard has stuck around. According to this website, 1 gal is the "loose soil" volume needed to fill the pot. Not sure if that is true or not. 

"NOTE: 1 gallon of loose soil will fit in this pot when compacted. Actual liquid volume is 2.9 quarts."

https://growgreenmi.com/hydrofarm-premium-nursery-pot-1-gal

1 hour ago, JacoPalmsCo said:

I think its because paint and water is more per gallon then soil, but i also never noticed that.

2 hours ago, miamicuse said:

I have an exceedingly stupid question but it's a bit embarrassing to be asking.

I buy 1 gallon water bottles and clearly a one gallon bottle is bigger than a 1 gallon nursery pot.  I buy 5 gallon paint that comes in a bucket that is clearly bigger than a 5 gallon nursery pot.  Why is that?  Is there a reason?

May be there are different gallons kind of like imperial tons and metric tons?

Not a stupid or embarrassing question to ask  -at -all..  Is one i've wondered about many times.. 

As far as the " dry vs. wet " aspect, i can fill a 1 gal milk jug with sand / grit / ..something like Turface MVP, ...or water  and it is still more than what will fit in a 1gal pot. 

Skeptical brain says it is more a manufacturing gimmick.  Yes, larger grained dry material will have spaces between the grains that = empty /wasted space, compared to a liquid in the same 1gal milk jug, but ..i really think it's a gimmick, lol rather than having a logical reason for the differences.

If i had a way to do it, i'd melt down / mould milk jugs to see what the equivalent would be pot-size wise..

Here's a visual comparison using dry, recycled Turface MVP, Grit, and Pumice of the same size ( i sift all my inorganic soil mix materials to various sizes ) and a typical 1gal pot.

IMG_2953.thumb.JPG.b9850f84a39c9e0b05b6612af87c88da.JPG

IMG_2951.thumb.JPG.ed42fdb1ca0cc8ad18fcd6a370b71fb0.JPG

IMG_2952.thumb.JPG.7b0b92ac7d9ca9b4fbc30be1becc3f52.JPG

IMG_2954.thumb.JPG.3269318a5ce6633ee2e7590d394b83ad.JPG

You can see there is only ..what could be considered 1/2gal of the dry material in the 1gal milk jug, yet it fills the 1gal pot  -to the brim.  You wouldn't fill a pot w/ soil all the way to the brim.

Hrmmm 🤔:interesting::hmm:

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

so I did some internet searches, I did before but this time I looked harder and may have found something useful to share.

basically, it is a mistake to call a pot 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon sizes, they should be referred to as #1, #3, #5 respectively, but dating back to the old days when people used 1 gallon milk jugs as pots, it got confused.

understanding-nursery-stock-sizes-contai

understanding-nursery-stock-sizes-plant-

full article: https://kb.jniplants.com/understanding-nursery-stock-sizes/

2 minutes ago, miamicuse said:

so I did some internet searches, I did before but this time I looked harder and may have found something useful to share.

basically, it is a mistake to call a pot 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon sizes, they should be referred to as #1, #3, #5 respectively, but dating back to the old days when people used 1 gallon milk jugs as pots, it got confused.

understanding-nursery-stock-sizes-contai

understanding-nursery-stock-sizes-plant-

full article: https://kb.jniplants.com/understanding-nursery-stock-sizes/

Some nurseries will use this " set of terms " for describing the above pictured container sizes, but many don't.. Some will also list the smaller of the container sizes as 2", 4 or 5", 6, and 8" -size pots rather than a half / whole pint or litre.   This nursery also forgot #15, which = 15gal ( Still likely not equivalent to the volume of 3 5gal paint buckets / 15 1gal milk jugs.  )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 3:15 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Not a stupid or embarrassing question to ask  -at -all..  Is one i've wondered about many times.. 

As far as the " dry vs. wet " aspect, i can fill a 1 gal milk jug with sand / grit / ..something like Turface MVP, ...or water  and it is still more than what will fit in a 1gal pot. 

Skeptical brain says it is more a manufacturing gimmick.  Yes, larger grained dry material will have spaces between the grains that = empty /wasted space, compared to a liquid in the same 1gal milk jug, but ..i really think it's a gimmick, lol rather than having a logical reason for the differences.

If i had a way to do it, i'd melt down / mould milk jugs to see what the equivalent would be pot-size wise..

Here's a visual comparison using dry, recycled Turface MVP, Grit, and Pumice of the same size ( i sift all my inorganic soil mix materials to various sizes ) and a typical 1gal pot.

IMG_2953.thumb.JPG.b9850f84a39c9e0b05b6612af87c88da.JPG

IMG_2951.thumb.JPG.ed42fdb1ca0cc8ad18fcd6a370b71fb0.JPG

IMG_2952.thumb.JPG.7b0b92ac7d9ca9b4fbc30be1becc3f52.JPG

IMG_2954.thumb.JPG.3269318a5ce6633ee2e7590d394b83ad.JPG

You can see there is only ..what could be considered 1/2gal of the dry material in the 1gal milk jug, yet it fills the 1gal pot  -to the brim.  You wouldn't fill a pot w/ soil all the way to the brim.

Hrmmm 🤔:interesting::hmm:

I agree; a gimmick. BS.

If you buy 32GB of RAM, you get 32 x (1024)^9 bytes of storage. This is 32x 1,073,741,824 bytes.

If you buy a 256 GB HDD, you will get only 256,000,000,000; oftimes less. With memory, a kilo is 1024, with disks it is <= 1000.

Edited by SeanK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SeanK said:

I agree; a gimmick. BS.

If you buy 32GB of RAM, you get 32 x (1024)^9 bytes of storage. This is 32x 1,073,741,824 bytes.

If you buy a 256 GB HDD, you will get only 256,000,000,000; oftimes less. With memory, a kilo is 1024, with disks it is <= 1000.

Pretty sure i get your pint, though when it comes to computer stuff, i'm about oblivious as it gets, lol.. I do know ( ...or think i know, ..to be honest )  the bigger the number = more storage space on a HD / SSD. Based on the example you laid out, perhaps that ain't always true.. Me + a majority of computer- related stuff = 🤯 ..though i do try to expand my knowledge of..