Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Best palms to grow here in Chicago


ChicagoPalma

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

...Canadians have it worse but they have Washingtonias up there. ...

You must be referring to eastern Canada (up there). In my 8b Pacific coast climate, I can't grow Washingtonia without some serious winter protection, particularly overhead protection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2023 at 10:51 PM, ChicagoPalma said:

Does anyone know where it might be a good place to buy a windmill and a Mexican fan palm possibly near me or can ship a large tree of those kinds? Would be nice, as spring is already here in Chicago, not fully but it started with some daffodils blooming.  

If you don't have a pickup, rent one and take a three day two night trip to Houston and check out the many nurseries there.  I drive from Madison WI to North Padre Island in 22 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WisTex said:

I drive from Madison WI to North Padre Island in 22 hours.

Fuel costs factored in for a week on the road round trip? I guess if you really want something, you gotta pay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

You must be referring to eastern Canada (up there). In my 8b Pacific coast climate, I can't grow Washingtonia without some serious winter protection, particularly overhead protection.

I hear that all the time but I still don't understand. I know that Northwestern Europe and the Pacific North West are not the same but have a lot of similiarities in many places. I wouldn't say that I don't have ANY problems with Washies (in fact I lost a W. robusta) but they are a zone pushing candidate to me for sure. We just had a very bad winter especially because of temperature fluctuation, early cold spell and lots of rain but even though my W. filibusta looks very bad it hasn't spear pulled yet and my W. filifera even has all its center spears (green) plus some ok lookin leaves around it (unprotected). Both of them also survived the extreme February 2021 freeze we had here only covered with fleece. Most of the winters they looked fine with only minor leaf damages or spottings if too wet. I watch various Youtubers form the PNW and read their articles here on PT and their conditions seem very similiar to mine. I just don't understand why all of you have such a bad luck with them. There must be a chance! 😂:greenthumb:

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

I hear that all the time but I still don't understand. I know that Northwestern Europe and the Pacific North West are not the same but have a lot of similiarities in many places. I wouldn't say that I don't have ANY problems with Washies (in fact I lost a W. robusta) but they are a zone pushing candidate to me for sure. We just had a very bad winter especially because of temperature fluctuation, early cold spell and lots of rain but even though my W. filibusta looks very bad it hasn't spear pulled yet and my W. filifera even has all its center spears (green) plus some ok lookin leaves around it (unprotected). Both of them also survived the extreme February 2021 freeze we had here only covered with fleece. Most of the winters they looked fine with only minor leaf damages or spottings if too wet. I watch various Youtubers form the PNW and read their articles here on PT and their conditions seem very similiar to mine. I just don't understand why all of you have such a bad luck with them. There must be a chance! 😂:greenthumb:

The winters there aren't as mild and they have a lot more rainfall. What temperatures did you see in 2021, I don't think I had any frost that year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The UK winters are not as bad even though the island is up north. It is because it is an island and it has a large coastal border. Anything up north that has a coast usually has mild winters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

The winters there aren't as mild and they have a lot more rainfall. What temperatures did you see in 2021, I don't think I had any frost that year?

From what I see they have very mild spots and they even have some UHIs or they should have them because of bigger cities. Tbh I can't recall completely but I remember once measuring temperatures below -8°C, -8.6°C or something, one morning in the first couple of days. As predictions were so bad and I had to protect many things I didn't even bother to measure anymore. I was too fed up. What I measured was in the middle of the garden. So closer to the house it might have been a bit warmer and in the coldest corner maybe a bit colder. The duration was the worst thing. It was a sudden week of freezing temperatures with some days not going above freezing and the hard freezes recurred every night. It's been the coldest since the 2010 horror winter. Surprisingly (or not so) several plants that made it through that event are looking much worse from this winter. I don't know how bad central London got hit, but didn't the cold spell also reach the UK?

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

The UK winters are not as bad even though the island is up north. It is because it is an island and it has a large coastal border. Anything up north that has a coast usually has mild winters.

Yes but I'm also 200km away from the sea and the PNW has a long shoreline with great microclimates.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

From what I see they have very mild spots and they even have some UHIs or they should have them because of bigger cities. Tbh I can't recall completely but I remember once measuring temperatures below -8°C, -8.6°C or something, one morning in the first couple of days. As predictions were so bad and I had to protect many things I didn't even bother to measure anymore. I was too fed up. What I measured was in the middle of the garden. So closer to the house it might have been a bit warmer and in the coldest corner maybe a bit colder. The duration was the worst thing. It was a sudden week of freezing temperatures with some days not going above freezing and the hard freezes recurred every night. It's been the coldest since the 2010 horror winter. Surprisingly (or not so) several plants that made it through that event are looking much worse from this winter. I don't know how bad central London got hit, but didn't the cold spell also reach the UK?

Yes but besides from cold spells there winter averages are lower so the combination of cool/cold temperatures and wetness isn't good for washingtonia. Obviously Brookings is an exception. More specifically though, I'm referring to BC and Washington. Yes there was a coldish spell but it wasn't a freeze, at least here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

Yes but besides from cold spells there winter averages are lower so the combination of cool/cold temperatures and wetness isn't good for washingtonia. Obviously Brookings is an exception. More specifically though, I'm referring to BC and Washington. Yes there was a coldish spell but it wasn't a freeze, at least here.

Then you were damn lucky! 😂 But I remember a TV news scene from central London where at least snow cover and ice was present. But I'm not sure if this was February 2021 or 2018 when the UK got hit way worse than us. I only remember the scene so clearly because they filmed a CIDP on a roundabout. Hm I didn't think about winter averages. The only thing I always think about with coastal climates being very mild is that they often have much more humidity in the air and much more wind. But how are their winters so much wetter?

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

Then you were damn lucky! 😂 But I remember a TV news scene from central London where at least snow cover and ice was present. But I'm not sure if this was February 2021 or 2018 when the UK got hit way worse than us. I only remember the scene so clearly because they filmed a CIDP on a roundabout. Hm I didn't think about winter averages. The only thing I always think about with coastal climates being very mild is that they often have much more humidity in the air and much more wind. But how are their winters so much wetter?

The coastal areas have high humidity from the ocean. Usually in winters around coastal areas, humidity likes to spike some times and usually there is a wet winter every year usually. That is my theory, I could be wrong though, and this happens in Chicago and the towns around the city. Humidity is always above 60 usually and the winters end up with a lot of snow melting and everything being wet. If it is above freezing, just constant rain then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

Then you were damn lucky! 😂 But I remember a TV news scene from central London where at least snow cover and ice was present. But I'm not sure if this was February 2021 or 2018 when the UK got hit way worse than us. I only remember the scene so clearly because they filmed a CIDP on a roundabout. Hm I didn't think about winter averages. The only thing I always think about with coastal climates being very mild is that they often have much more humidity in the air and much more wind. But how are their winters so much wetter?

2018 there was snow. 2021 I think the outskirts had snow because I remember there being a small amount around Heathrow but none here. The pineapple express in the Pacific Northwest seems to give them a lot more rain than the jet stream bringing westerlies to us does. Tofino BC has 102 inches of rainfall annually (most of that falling during the winter) compared to here where the annual rainfall is between 20-23 inches depending on which part of London.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chicago is Siberia 🥶🥶🥶🥶

That's a Southerner's mentality....

Hey, Billy Bob let's move to Tornado County!!!🌪

At least the weather is warmer there!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alex Zone 5 said:

Chicago is Siberia 🥶🥶🥶🥶

That's a Southerner's mentality....

Hey, Billy Bob let's move to Tornado County!!!🌪

At least the weather is warmer there!! 

Yes, that's what I think about northern England here but obviously it's no where near as bad as Siberia! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If London didnt have the heavily UHI build up areas street after street and block after block for miles, the average CIDP would look like this one in Kew London right now. And this has happened on more occasions over the past 15 years in this green area in London. 

 

35F7A036-8967-4188-BB12-5617F465FD2D.jpeg.7085ec8b13edcba3733e11913bb76694.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

If London didnt have the heavily UHI build up areas street after street and block after block for miles, the average CIDP would look like this one in Kew London right now. And this has happened on more occasions over the past 15 years in this green area in London. 

 

35F7A036-8967-4188-BB12-5617F465FD2D.jpeg.7085ec8b13edcba3733e11913bb76694.jpeg

If London didn't have the urban heat island east London would be the mildest area. Kew is in west London so since it's further inland it gets colder there. The CIDP has been burnt but there's no spear pull. Also Kew gardens did have the coldest night since the 1980s in January.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

If London didn't have the urban heat island east London would be the mildest area. Kew is in west London so since it's further inland it gets colder there. The CIDP has been burnt but there's no spear pull. Also Kew gardens did have the coldest night since the 1980s in January.

Perhaps but Kew is not that far from the large CIDP in Wimbledon planted in the ‘90’s against the wall of an apartment building. So in west London it’s all about the UHI as the climate itself is not mild enough to keep CIDP fronds green longer term, spearpull or not.

East London may be closer to the sea but when you go to the villages outside of east London not far from the sea CIDP’s got killed even there in 2010 to 2012 period. 

Falconwood 2012

 

 

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

in case anyone wonders what the position of this CIDP was in the mild area east of London close to the thames estuary and the sea

DC1E7633-EDFA-4F72-A694-AE58D2495BA6.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

in case anyone wonders what the position of this CIDP was in the mild area east of London close to the thames estuary and the sea

DC1E7633-EDFA-4F72-A694-AE58D2495BA6.jpeg

I wouldn't call it a mild area of London but it's milder than Kew. If the urban heat island didn't exist near the the River Thames (London city airport area) in East London CDIP would probably be fine. Luckily we do have the urban heat island though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

2018 there was snow. 2021 I think the outskirts had snow because I remember there being a small amount around Heathrow but none here. The pineapple express in the Pacific Northwest seems to give them a lot more rain than the jet stream bringing westerlies to us does. Tofino BC has 102 inches of rainfall annually (most of that falling during the winter) compared to here where the annual rainfall is between 20-23 inches depending on which part of London.

One thing that comes to mind now is that they have huge mountain ranges a bit inland and behind that often rather arid areas. The rain might come down more concentrated whereas here most of Western Europe is relatively flat. In fact due to the mountain range east of Düsseldorf the precipitation is much much higher in Wuppertal for example. They get all the rain because it's the first significant elevation for the clouds from the Atlantic to overcome.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hortulanus said:

One thing that comes to mind now is that they have huge mountain ranges a bit inland and behind that often rather arid areas. The rain might come down more concentrated whereas here most of Western Europe is relatively flat. In fact due to the mountain range east of Düsseldorf the precipitation is much much higher in Wuppertal for example. They get all the rain because it's the first significant elevation for the clouds from the Atlantic to overcome.

In London and the south east it's drier because we have mountain ranges in the west of the country where a lot of the rain from the Atlantic westerlies falls.  That's why the UK looked like this last summer.

Screenshot_20230328-134228192 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20230328-134858596 (1).jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

The UK winters are not as bad even though the island is up north. It is because it is an island and it has a large coastal border. Anything up north that has a coast usually has mild winters.

This isnt it at all lol, if this was the case then the US coast from NJ to Maine would be mild, The UK benefits from something called the Gulf stream, which originantes in the Gulf of Mexico and goes up through Florida to south east Virginia (the border for Sabal Palmetto) and up into europe, specifically the UK. This warm current changes the climate of what the area's climate would be otherwise. It confuses me about the UK people saying climate change is going to make the UK warmer when in reality the Gulf Stream shutting down as a result could set them back.

  • Like 1

Lucas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Axel Amsterdam you know full well that the Kew CIDP’s are planted out in the open and some distance inland towards west London, where it gets much colder. It is nowhere near the warmer parts of central and eastern London. Still it took the coldest nighttime temperatures in 30+ years to damage those smaller ones like that. No doubt they will come back as the spears and growing points are still green. It is mostly superficial damage to the fronds. Not to mention those are small CIDP’s too.

Here is the one in Fulham after the winter just gone for reference. Obviously it has more protection from the UHI being in central London and close to a building too, which clearly helps. Just because you had one mild winter in the Netherlands, while inland southern England got a rare hard freeze under stubbornly clear skies, you’re suddenly going in on the us here. So drop it. The worst winter in 12-13 years and coldest January temps in 36 years for west London, yet many CIDP’s stand strongly, almost undamaged. The ones on the coast haven’t even been touched.

BB62FDB2-4F86-45B5-AD88-4984C4F9B582.jpeg.a8da29de0511b96ee373fb9244692865.jpeg


I don’t want to digress from the OP’s thread/interests, so this is the only post I will be making on this subject. I suggest Axel and Fox Palms both stop posting about the UK in this thread as well, since it just results in arguments. I felt compelled to respond after Axel’s post for instance. So let’s all just give it a rest, yeah. It’s pointless critiquing a small, damaged CIDP in a known frost pocket of southwest London, which is also a big open space, when there are literally thousands of other CIDP’s that are virtually untouched by last winter across the city.

  • Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

This isnt it at all lol, if this was the case then the US coast from NJ to Maine would be mild, The UK benefits from something called the Gulf stream, which originantes in the Gulf of Mexico and goes up through Florida to south east Virginia (the border for Sabal Palmetto) and up into europe, specifically the UK.

The gulf stream stops halfway through the Atlantic and turns into the Atlantic drift, which spreads the concentrated warm gulf stream waters in all directions around Europe. So whilst it definitely helps, unlike the east coast of the US we don't benefit from waters coming from the south. If the canary current was reversed, and instead we had a current brining warm waters from cape Verde, the UK and Europe would be a lot warmer. The gulfstream at 37N off the east coast of the USA the water temperature is 70f whilst at the same latitude in the Azores in Europe because the warm water is spread out the sea temperature is only 61f for example. The gulf stream is more effective off the coast of Maine and NJ than it is here as Chicago Palma said we have hundreds of miles of ocean between us and the Artic circle. That's why the coldest spells are usually when the air mass comes from the East because the ocean would be warming up the arctic air masses. The reason Maine and NJ get much colder than here is because there's no natural barrier between the arctic circle in Canada and those states.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

This isnt it at all lol, if this was the case then the US coast from NJ to Maine would be mild, The UK benefits from something called the Gulf stream, which originantes in the Gulf of Mexico and goes up through Florida to south east Virginia (the border for Sabal Palmetto) and up into europe, specifically the UK. This warm current changes the climate of what the area's climate would be otherwise. It confuses me about the UK people saying climate change is going to make the UK warmer when in reality the Gulf Stream shutting down as a result could set them back.

Yes that's correct. But about climate change and the gulf stream shutting down: There are big arguments in science about the effects on ocean currents by the melting ice. Also the gulf stream should not be confused with the AMOC. Currently we only see an increase in temperatures. Several studies and models show completely different scenarios with more warming of the Arctic region and especially the tipping point in which the ocean current could break. Scientists have also been wrong many times in their predictions about the effects of global warming in the last couple of years sometimes things they predicted didn't occur, sometimes things never even considered occured. Some changes are happening faster than previously calculated. Another big factor is that even though the gulf stream is keeping Europe and especially Western Europe relatively warm it's not the only reason. Besides that it looks like what's happening currently is that climates zones are pushing further North constantly and the Arctic is not as cold as it used to be. As well as Eastern Europe. As the globe is warming entirely the entire Northern hemisphere is. It's a very complicated subject because so many factors have an effect on this but lately there have been several scientific models that oppose the theory of a complete collapse of ocean currents.

  • Like 1

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

@Axel Amsterdam you know full well that the Kew CIDP’s are planted out in the open and some distance inland towards west London, where it gets much colder. It is nowhere near the warmer parts of central and eastern London. Still it took the coldest nighttime temperatures in 30+ years to damage those smaller ones like that. No doubt they will come back as the spears and growing points are still green. It is mostly superficial damage to the fronds. Not to mention those are small CIDP’s too.

Here is the one in Fulham after the winter just gone for reference. Obviously it has more protection from the UHI being in central London and close to a building too, which clearly helps. Just because you had one mild winter in the Netherlands, while inland southern England got a rare hard freeze under stubbornly clear skies, you’re suddenly going in on the us here. So drop it. The worst winter in 12-13 years and coldest January temps in 36 years for west London, yet many CIDP’s stand strongly, almost undamaged. The ones on the coast haven’t even been touched.

BB62FDB2-4F86-45B5-AD88-4984C4F9B582.jpeg.a8da29de0511b96ee373fb9244692865.jpeg


I don’t want to digress from the OP’s thread/interests, so this is the only post I will be making on this subject. I suggest Axel and Fox Palms both stop posting about the UK in this thread as well, since it just results in arguments. I felt compelled to respond after Axel’s post for instance. So let’s all just give it a rest, yeah. It’s pointless critiquing a small, damaged CIDP in a known frost pocket of southwest London, which is also a big open space, when there are literally thousands of other CIDP’s that are virtually untouched by last winter across the city.

I honestly don't understand why my post about Washies in the PNW of North America has lead to another talk about UK cliamte and CIDPs. 😂 Thanks for sharing!

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Foxpalms said:

In London and the south east it's drier because we have mountain ranges in the west of the country where a lot of the rain from the Atlantic westerlies falls.  That's why the UK looked like this last summer.

Screenshot_20230328-134228192 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20230328-134858596 (1).jpg

Yes, but could also be because the East of the UK is getting more exposure to high pressure weather from the South. The furthe West/Northwest you go on the isles the less it seems to be affected by heat waves or cold spells. When I was in Scotland in the summer of 2018 you couldn't feel anything from the heat. It was just rainy and cold.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

Yes, that's what I think about northern England here but obviously it's no where near as bad as Siberia! 

Same here in Chicago, and FINALLY some warmer weather is arriving in Chicago with a mix of 50s and 60s. But I’m still two-three more days away from flying back home. Still enjoying the warm Mexican sun

image.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also guys please, talk about UK climate and cidps somewhere else please. The name of the topic is literally “Best palms for Chicago” and the only reason is came back up is because of a person who said Chicago winters are the same as Siberian winters. We get negatives every year but not for a whole month like Siberia can get. Longest is a couple days or rarely a week.

Edited by ChicagoPalma
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Also guys please, talk about UK climate and cidps somewhere else please. The name of the topic is literally “Best palms for Chicago” and the only reason is came back up is because of a person who said Chicago winters are the same as Siberian winters. We get negatives every year but not for a whole month like Siberia can get. Longest is a couple days or rarely a week.

They never said Chicago winters are the same as Siberian winters,  It was used as a hyperbolic adjective,  obviously no-one is stupid enough to think Chicago has the same temps as Siberia, But it was a response to your claim that you could

On 3/5/2023 at 2:36 PM, ChicagoPalma said:

Probably, I can probably grow a Queen palm here in Chicago

Chicago might as well be Siberia to a queen palm.

see? nobody was saying Chicago is the same as Siberia, It was a harmless joke

seeing as your clearly a child, I would say for now focus on what you have and then hopefully pursue a career where you can end up in an area with a favorable climate,

best of luck

Lucas

  • Like 1

Lucas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

I honestly don't understand why my post about Washies in the PNW of North America has lead to another talk about UK cliamte and CIDPs. 😂 Thanks for sharing!

I will step out as usual because UK palms does the ‘Guardian of the UK palm heritage’ reply to a simple factual observation that long term it’s basically UHI in London and much less climate that keeps CIDP’s green in London.

But i will share this observation; as long as you keep comparing climates and bring in the climate of the UK and London in US palm topics on this forum this will keep on happening. Most of all your posts are climate related and not a lot of palms are shown. It’s all climate and then you will get a climate discussion. 

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

Yes that's correct. But about climate change and the gulf stream shutting down: There are big arguments in science about the effects on ocean currents by the melting ice. Also the gulf stream should not be confused with the AMOC. Currently we only see an increase in temperatures. Several studies and models show completely different scenarios with more warming of the Arctic region and especially the tipping point in which the ocean current could break. Scientists have also been wrong many times in their predictions about the effects of global warming in the last couple of years sometimes things they predicted didn't occur, sometimes things never even considered occured. Some changes are happening faster than previously calculated. Another big factor is that even though the gulf stream is keeping Europe and especially Western Europe relatively warm it's not the only reason. Besides that it looks like what's happening currently is that climates zones are pushing further North constantly and the Arctic is not as cold as it used to be. As well as Eastern Europe. As the globe is warming entirely the entire Northern hemisphere is. It's a very complicated subject because so many factors have an effect on this but lately there have been several scientific models that oppose the theory of a complete collapse of ocean currents.

Another thing to add is that below northern Europe is the Mediterranean and Sahara desert. In recent years it seems the hot air masses from there are traveling further north resulting in hotter drier weather.  If the gulfstream was to shut down that would also mess up the canary current and N.E Equatorial. The gulfstream water would travel back towards to USA which would actually over time completely reverse the currents. Meaning the equatorial counter current could split pushing water into the southern hemisphere and to the northern hemisphere and what was once the canary current would be reversed brining water from equator (warmer than from the Carribbean) straight up to Europe. Most scientists when they talk about what would happen if the gulf stream shut down think only think about the effect on Europe if it no longer had warm water being sent over here from the Carribbean not what would then happen after that because the ocean isn't exactly going to go to a complete standstill. I personally think this would eventually happen if the gulf stream hypothetically completely shut down.

 

 

Screenshot_20230328-155044515 (1).jpg

Edited by Foxpalms
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2023 at 12:19 AM, Weston wally said:

Ik you live in Siberia but honestly if I was you ur best bet is the dwarf form of sabal minor they don’t get big at all they should be easy to protect or you can try a mccurtain but those get larger your gonna have to protect them either way I live in Tennessee 7a and even tho it’s warm enough for needles and minor I want to be somewhere better 8a-9a I’m moving to flordia for that reason 

I know it’s a joke but I’ve had enough of these “jokes” and this topic in general was not the most positive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

I will step out as usual because UK palms does the ‘Guardian of the UK palm heritage’ reply to a simple factual observation that long term it’s basically UHI in London and much less climate that keeps CIDP’s green in London.

But i will share this observation; as long as you keep comparing climates and bring in the climate of the UK and London in US palm topics on this forum this will keep on happening. Most of all your posts are climate related and not a lot of palms are shown. It’s all climate and then you will get a climate discussion. 

You have got some nerve. I have barely been on the forums lately and today I log on to see you posting up photos of Kew Gardens in this thread and also old cherry picked street view photos from 2012 or whenever to show a CIDP dying while having a back and forth with Fox Palms. Then you try blaming me for going off topic. I wasn’t the one who started this off today. I only posted in response to your antagonistic BS comments. You were probably hoping to draw me into the conversation.

Also, I can read you like a book. You’ve had one mild winter where you are and now you’re suddenly all high & mighty, trying to lecture us on London’s palms and doing your best to downplay what grows here, just because we had one bad winter this year. I agree, Fox Palms should wind it in with the posts, but you’ll be crawling back under your rock after next winter smashes the Netherlands again. Just like it did in 2021 when you had -12C / 9F there and 2-3 weeks below freezing in Amsterdam.

Funny how you always post about the UK too, even in the European forum. I suppose there isn’t a lot of palms to talk about in the Netherlands. Also if the urban heat island is the reason for London’s palms, why aren’t there any CIDP or Washies in Amsterdam? Or Paris? You guys have a pretty big UHI there in Amsterdam (one of biggest in Europe) which suggests that climate is clearly a factor then still. Way more so than any UHI. Apologies to @ChicagoPalma

Edited by UK_Palms

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Little Tex said:

They never said Chicago winters are the same as Siberian winters,  It was used as a hyperbolic adjective,  obviously no-one is stupid enough to think Chicago has the same temps as Siberia, But it was a response to your claim that you could

Chicago might as well be Siberia to a queen palm.

see? nobody was saying Chicago is the same as Siberia, It was a harmless joke

seeing as your clearly a child, I would say for now focus on what you have and then hopefully pursue a career where you can end up in an area with a favorable climate,

best of luck

Lucas

I wouldn’t call myself a “child” and that’s just a bit rude to call me a child if I were older, but yes I am one and the reason I didn’t disclose this information is because of privacy and usually when people think of children, they think of younger people who are a bit stupid. I know that because I have a strong political opinion and usually even a adult I know will think I’m a bit stupid just like the rest of the kids and just take whatever I’m saying not seriously. I’ve done my research, I know where to place specific plants and what microclimate would do good. For example, the place I picked for my palm is in the backyard not in a place where is very dry but equally dry and wet with a good draining soil and a large space for roots to expand and for the tree to flourish. The fence keeps major winds away and the area is usually sunny. The house also keeps the wind away and the exhaust pipe from laundry is near by the palm also helping heat the air around the palm. Most kids find my hobby stupid, but I find those little TikTok dances and trends like eating a tide pod stupid. There is a girl in my ELA class who does a random TikTok dance every five minutes, to me it looks like a seizure, to others it looks regular.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

You have got some nerve. I have barely been on the forums lately and today I log on to see you posting up photos of Kew Gardens in this thread and also old cherry picked street view photos from 2012 or whenever to show a CIDP dying while having a back and forth with Fox Palms. Then you try blaming me for going off topic. I wasn’t the one who started this off today. I only posted in response to your antagonistic BS comments. You were probably hoping to draw me into the conversation.

Also, I can read you like a book. You’ve had one mild winter where you are and now you’re suddenly all high & mighty, trying to lecture us on London’s palms and doing your best to downplay what grows here, just because we had one bad winter this year. I agree, Fox Palms should wind it in with the posts, but you’ll be crawling back under your rock after next winter smashes the Netherlands again. Just like it did in 2021 when you had -12C / 9F there and 2-3 weeks below freezing in Amsterdam.

Funny how you always post about the UK too, even in the European forum. I suppose there isn’t a lot of palms to talk about in the Netherlands. Apologies to @ChicagoPalma

You’re fine @UK_Palms, you were not posting really  today on this topic.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m also linking my yt channel, currently there is nothing interesting but a couple shorts with like 500 or more views and will soon continue posting about the palm tree seedlings that are growing very nicely and will soon post about exotic garden landscaping.

Edited by ChicagoPalma
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

You have got some nerve. I have barely been on the forums lately and today I log on to see you posting up photos of Kew Gardens in this thread and also old cherry picked street view photos from 2012 or whenever to show a CIDP dying while having a back and forth with Fox Palms. Then you try blaming me for going off topic. I wasn’t the one who started this off today. I only posted in response to your antagonistic BS comments. You were probably hoping to draw me into the conversation.

Also, I can read you like a book. You’ve had one mild winter where you are and now you’re suddenly all high & mighty, trying to lecture us on London’s palms and doing your best to downplay what grows here, just because we had one bad winter this year. I agree, Fox Palms should wind it in with the posts, but you’ll be crawling back under your rock after next winter smashes the Netherlands again. Just like it did in 2021 when you had -12C / 9F there and 2-3 weeks below freezing in Amsterdam.

Funny how you always post about the UK too, even in the European forum. I suppose there isn’t a lot of palms to talk about in the Netherlands. Also if the urban heat island is the reason for London’s palms, why aren’t there any CIDP or Washies in Amsterdam? Or Paris? You guys have a pretty big UHI there in Amsterdam (one of biggest in Europe) which suggests that climate is clearly a factor then still. Way more so than any UHI. Apologies to @ChicagoPalma

Do you really think personal attacks are acceptable behaviour when i post a couple of palm pictures to show how important the UHI effect of London is in reply to some European climate comparison posts? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...