IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Collection of seed grown palms

Plantasexoticas

First year in my new home and so good to finally have a garden and some space to work with, and expand my ever growing collection of seed grown palms and exotics 

It’s certainly been a bit of a roller coaster of a year weather wise but hopefully over the worst of it now. In my new home I’m pretty close to the sea, so now have that moderating effect that should allow me to grow a wider range of palms and other exotics 

Many have spent the year recovering from certain stresses here and there but overall the majority have recovered and doing really well 

Bismarckia nobilis

ceroxylon quindiuense 

beccariophoenix alfredii

sabal minor 

rhopalostylis sapida 

livistona decora 

Phoenix sp

archontophoenix

Juania australis  

6231D30D-9DC7-4B86-9C5C-1A9EB2B47DF2.jpeg

64EEB121-2A06-44A2-91F8-3E0261E77165.jpeg

E0ACE5BF-4610-4425-8A39-0C07E9165064.jpeg

C999F258-BD85-4619-8D6F-E3D3FCC678E7.jpeg

6FCC94B3-3102-431B-B2F8-B6B49EB3DB0F.jpeg

4EEE26ED-A0F1-4584-8A3B-218A75044B8E.jpeg

8A3E35F0-951B-4F91-88F0-8E379DCC8DBE.jpeg

261B7296-DC5B-4611-84CA-3C3F983A5789.jpeg

9DA4BE0E-ADC6-4F0A-A631-800C4DDB3CDF.jpeg

B24EC2D8-7984-4858-8DBB-8006E5964390.jpeg

312879F0-2489-41A2-8FF2-626DFC67D3F2.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice collection of plams you've got there! Are you planning to plant some of them out? Where did you move? Doesn't have to be exact but like the south west or the south east or somewhere else?

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

9 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

Nice collection of plams you've got there! Are you planning to plant some of them out? Where did you move? Doesn't have to be exact but like the south west or the south east or somewhere else?

Thank you, 

The full collection is more than I’ve photographed here but most of them will spend a lot of the year outside during the warmer months, a few stay out all year and some I just bring it for frosty nights. 

I am tempted by a few to plant out, especially as I have some to spare, however we’ve just had a particularly wet winter which a lot of the palms and arid plants suffered in. It did t get too cold but the flooding didn’t help. Hopefully it’s a one off and I’ll look at planting some this spring. 

And oh I live in Selsey which is right on the south coast :)

Caryota mitis

trachycarpys latisectus, princeps and ukrulensis

washingtonia robusta 

woodyetia bifurcata 

8F84C056-BD7D-4F9E-9846-19F5DA8679B3.jpeg

614DF2FF-9D45-4789-B3A4-D6F6A2EAE612.jpeg

E0F70F5C-02AD-4516-8990-59B68581318A.jpeg

B849E597-9960-4F28-B6AF-30978654FD1C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Thank you, 

The full collection is more than I’ve photographed here but most of them will spend a lot of the year outside during the warmer months, a few stay out all year and some I just bring it for frosty nights. 

I am tempted by a few to plant out, especially as I have some to spare, however we’ve just had a particularly wet winter which a lot of the palms and arid plants suffered in. It did t get too cold but the flooding didn’t help. Hopefully it’s a one off and I’ll look at planting some this spring. 

And oh I live in Selsey which is right on the south coast :)

Yes the winter has been extremely wet here as well... But sounds like you have a great climate there with much potential. And I also wouldn't let one winter diminish the possibilties you might have. Many cool palms you have there. I'm also currently growing Caryota from seed but maxima. At least one of about 100 seeds has germinated yet.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

4 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

Yes the winter has been extremely wet here as well... But sounds like you have a great climate there with much potential. And I also wouldn't let one winter diminish the possibilties you might have. Many cool palms you have there. I'm also currently growing Caryota from seed but maxima. At least one of about 100 seeds has germinated yet.

Yes I’m very hopeful that future weather will be better going forward. There are many mature palms around the town here which seem pretty happy 

43 minutes ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Nice big CIDPs and W. robustas - are also the first species I would have suggested. Even though they are becoming more and more common here in the north west of Europe in mild areas and especially in the UK they are amazing palms. And sure weather in general is only getting warmer and drier on average. I bet your climate is allowing for even more tender palms to get planted. Maybe even Archontophoenix?

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

7 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

Nice big CIDPs and W. robustas - are also the first species I would have suggested. Even though they are becoming more and more common here in the north west of Europe in mild areas and especially in the UK they are amazing palms. And sure weather in general is only getting warmer and drier on average. I bet your climate is allowing for even more tender palms to get planted. Maybe even Archontophoenix?

Yeah lots of the typical washies and canaries, I’ve got both in my garden too but they become so common these days that it’s nice to mix it up with some different species. 

archontophoenix are still super tender, my potted ones did get burnt with the lightest of frosts (though I did protect them after the first one) 

Still, even with the damage they grow fast, here is them burnt and then recovery in the same year. 

9F259803-A042-45AA-8FE8-24C2642C946E.jpeg

A56980BC-7614-426F-8818-52EE9C927382.jpeg

1 hour ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Yeah lots of the typical washies and canaries, I’ve got both in my garden too but they become so common these days that it’s nice to mix it up with some different species. 

archontophoenix are still super tender, my potted ones did get burnt with the lightest of frosts (though I did protect them after the first one) 

Still, even with the damage they grow fast, here is them burnt and then recovery in the same year. 

9F259803-A042-45AA-8FE8-24C2642C946E.jpeg

A56980BC-7614-426F-8818-52EE9C927382.jpeg

Maybe just wait until they're a bit bigger to then plant them out.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Yeah, I may get some more seedlings going and then at least have a few more to play with should the worst happen. 

• Upvote 1