IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

King Palm pink root rot?

Chavy87

Is this pink root rot? I pulled an old frond husk off the shaft of my king palm. It's chalky and pinkish white. Above that it's a blackish color. Will this spread to the other trunks and is this something I can stop?

20230123_140249.jpg

1674511677388619787050066052456.jpg

20230123_140232.jpg

Yes. Sure looks like it to me. I lost a king to pink rot years ago and that's exactly what it looked like. Pink and powdery. The one I lost was a bit further along than yours so I just decapitated the trunk right below the crown shaft and used it as a pedestal to mount a bromeliad on top. I chose to get creative with it and that way his memory lives on. 

Definitely pink rot. You can either decide to remove it now or you can try hitting it liquid copper fungicide and/or hydrogen peroxide to see if that takes out the fungus. But if you see it actually causing damage to the trunk, it’s best to remove it. Keep in mind it could spread to the other alma so you’ll want to use the same steps to spray the other palm to prevent it from spreading.

Well this is a few days after spraying hydrogen peroxide on the affected trunk. What do ya'll think? Is it going to pull through or too early to tell?

20230126_205959.jpg

20230126_210015.jpg

20230126_210033.jpg

I think if it’s that skinny it’s best to remove it. If I does recover and it could it could fall over from its own weight as it gets larger. I’ve had it happen where it recovered but was unstable so I removed it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, James B said:

I think if it’s that skinny it’s best to remove it...

Yeah, I'd remove the affected trunk. Though I'd probably just start with a new healthy palm (and disinfect the pot if being reused). At that size King Palms are plentiful & cheap.

One other consideration though... If the plan is to keep a palm in its current pot long-term, a King is going to be grow MUCH too large for that space. I'm guessing this was just a temporary location? If not (and you would like a relatively small palm for this spot) there are much better choices. If you'd like to upload a photo showing the location you were planning to put the palm long-term we'd be happy to suggest alternatives 😎

* Not that I don't like King Palms... that pot just doesn't seem like an appropriate placement for one (let alone a triple).

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Thanks for help. I may just start with a new healthy palm. I have this palm in the garage under grow lights just until spring. It's interesting that the other king palm I put in my yard has done much better than this one despite a little cold damage. Unfortunately my yard gets almost no shade in the summer and with the multiple +100 degree days so fingers crossed it will survive with plenty of water and proper fertilizer. 

• Like 1