IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chrysalidocarpus (Dypsis) "baby red stem"

Tracy

I couldn't seem to find a thread on this palm, only mentions of them in other threads.  I acquired two at a Southern California Palm Society auction in 2019.  They looked somewhat similar as 1 gallon seedlings (seen below).  The behavior has been somewhat different though as they have grown with one being a clumper and the other is solitary with no sign of clumping.  The solitary has formed a narrow trunk, while the clumper is still trying to form the first ring on the main trunk, and the smaller ones still a ways out.  The solitary looks to be a small plant and is on the edge of the space between what one might guess to be a Dypsis versus a Chrysalidocarpus in the newly split genera.  It is probably still leaning toward the Chrysalidocarpus side if I must guess.  The solitary is posted below and I will post the clumper later. 

The intent of the post isn't to say that what I'm growing is the definitive plant in either case (clumper or solitary).  It is instead an opportunity for others to post what they are growing as "baby red stem" and see if there is some consistency out there.

20191012-104A4926.jpg

20221222-BH3I9817.jpg

20221222-BH3I9818.jpg

20221222-BH3I9819.jpg

20221222-BH3I9820.jpg

20221222-BH3I9821.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

The clumping specimen is below.  Photos are from this last spring as opposed to the ones of the solitary which were from this December.  This one is more colorful, but appears as though it will have a smaller diameter trunk as well.

So now have at it with posting what you have as "baby red stem".  Share some history on age, etc.

20220530-BH3I7710.jpg

20220530-BH3I7713.jpg

20220530-BH3I7714.jpg

20220530-BH3I7715.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Neat little palms. The solitary one is a cutie. How large do they get?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Neat little palms. The solitary one is a cutie. How large do they get?

Good question which I can't answer.  The solitary one appears will remain relatively small but I'm hoping others will share photos of their more mature plants as well as some vintage photos of the same plant.  If mine are labeled correctly it will provide some insight.  If mine are not, or only one is labeled correctly, I will just have to be patient to see what they do over more time.

When searching on this, I did see Bill Austin must have a specimen because he had seeds available back in 2019.  Maybe some others will come forward with photos too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I always though baby red stems was true ambositrae from what I was told . 

Never heard that before and these are very different than what I am growing as Chrysalidocarpus ambositrae.  I don't have the Palms of Madagascar book to compare description of ambositrae with what I'm growing or either of these palms I posted as baby red stems.  Perhaps if someone has the book to compare the species description, we might be able to draw some conclusions.

7 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I always though baby red stems was true ambositrae from what I was told . 

The only reference I have for Dypsis ambositrae, now Chrysalidocarpus ambositrae was off the Palmpedia, Palms for California section:

Dypsis ambositrae

Geoff Stein - Author & Editor

Pronunciation: DIP-siss am-bow-SEE-tray

Common Name: none

Dypsis ambositrae is a beautiful Madagascan species with a pure white crownshaft, an attractively ringed trunk, a pinkish to deep red new rachis and long, deep green arching, V'd leaves. This may not match the description of many palms in California identified as such, as for nearly 10 years, what now is Dypsis plumosa was being sold and grown as this species. The REAL Dypsis ambositrae is a far more attractive and impressive palm, so it is good to have that misidentification worked out. So far many Californians have had excellent success growing this palm and maturing trees are in many collections at this time.

The plants I have been growing as Chrysalidocarpus (Dypsis) ambositrae seem to match the one Geoff Stein provided above, and are very different than what I have as "baby red stems".  Photos of my two plants grown as C ambositrae below for comparison.  If the description that Geoff Stein provided above isn't current, anyone is welcome to update us.

20221229-BH3I9855.jpg

20221229-BH3I9854.jpg

20221229-BH3I9856.jpg

20221229-BH3I9857.jpg

20221229-BH3I9861.jpg

20221229-BH3I9862.jpg

20221229-BH3I9859.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

They look like a form of C baronii to me. Very nice palm too. There are so many forms of baronii.  Maybe all one species, or maybe should be separated. Who knows. Thats Madagascar for you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I’m with @Tyrone I think red stems is a baronii or psammophila type. Much too skinny to be ambositrae 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/28/2022 at 7:57 AM, Tracy said:

20221222-BH3I9817.jpg

20221222-BH3I9820.jpg

This single is the one that is quite puzzling. I’ve never seen a Dypsis that grows like this as it stays petite and skinny,  almost like a Chamadorea species. Pretty cool. 

On 12/28/2022 at 8:05 AM, Tracy said:

20220530-BH3I7710.jpg

20220530-BH3I7713.jpg

The clumping one totally looks like a form of Baronii to me too. It does have a few traits that are not Baronii-ish tho. It has more white on the trunk than I’ve seen on Baronii.  This has a lot. Similar to Dyp. Onilahensis. Another weird thing is I’ve always seen Baronii split versus clump. This one definitely looks like it’s clumping. Muddy the water more I suppose.

Here’s my Baronii when it was splitting and another after I planted it. 

F1D70A94-A8A2-42A8-BDA6-1021201093E0.thumb.jpeg.95f13f17b5ff7f5b41f134df2f6cacd7.jpeg

E6301ECE-E0DA-473E-95BB-9A41705DA962.thumb.jpeg.9308f370c0b735d9dd93277333d48365.jpeg

Here’s my Onilahensis showing the whiteish trunk. 
3EE4B6B1-C10B-4A8E-BACD-06510449F0B7.thumb.jpeg.70b58f35729ae52b22794298f3365807.jpeg

-dale

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m pretty sure most of the “Baby Red Stem” that have circulated lately probably came from Floribunda originally. The parent plant at Floribunda is a double trunk, medium sized palm. Tristichous frond pattern and I believe glaucous undersides of the leaflets. Bill Austin has one as well  that is also a mature seeding palm. 

I got a small plant from Bill Austin about 4 years ago that was from his parent plant. Just like his and Floribunda’s mine split into two and has the same traits as the parent. I’ll post pictures of mine below. Mine is now seeding as well. I believe I remember hearing from Jeff Marcus that these all seem to split into two palms, but not more. Mine is consistent with that. I imagine there could be some variance there though since this is a Dypsis we are talking about (or whatever they are called now!). 

Tracy - I’m not sure what this means for your two plants. To me they don’t look like what we are growing here as Baby Red Stem. But some of that could also be climate difference? 

647D347B-9D8D-4C84-B48D-DA2E9A54440D.thumb.jpeg.86d2c8ff2b491b51c8140997c5b3f140.jpeg

8AA9C43A-B5BF-4466-8759-4ADE981B0356.thumb.jpeg.37dd76e567e579c8e9c67986cd2d7ef8.jpeg

EA97E92A-3AFD-4355-A396-8F07BBF51FBD.thumb.jpeg.05fe3e0681ec5347067bb0829bb5ab01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

@Hilo Jasonmy understanding is pretty much the same as yours. @TracyI don’t think your palms are what is known as baby red stems, they look more like baronii types as noted above. I’ve only got a few seedlings of baby red stems so unfortunately can’t add much to the thread pictorially yet. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I think red stems is a baronii or psammophila type.

12 hours ago, Billeb said:

I’ve never seen a Dypsis that grows like this as it stays petite and skinny,  almost like a Chamadorea species.

Dale welcome to the world of real Dypsis, the ones that didn't make it into the new Chrysalidocarpus, which are even narrower gauge understory palms than the one I have in my post.  I had a few that were in that category that I killed over the years, so no specimens in my gardens for now.  Dypsis mirabilis and scottiana were the last two I had growing and should try a few more again as understory palms.  Our friends in Hawaii have plenty of those species growing; you will find them if you look back through some of Bill Austin's and Tim's posts.

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Tracy - I’m not sure what this means for your two plants. To me they don’t look like what we are growing here as Baby Red Stem. But some of that could also be climate difference? 

This is the input I was looking for.  More mature "type specimen" photos and feedback.  As you mention, there are some behavioral differences at times with some of these Chrysalidocarpus when grown there in Hawaii versus here to factor in as well.  The solitary one definitely looks baronii type to me, the other clumping specimen I see a mix of features from baronii to psammophila and even a bit of lutescens.

Dave and others here in California, I'm hoping to see what yours might look like if you are growing them.  The difference to my pair could be pointing to a hybrid perhaps of the "red stem" and something else, which could explain plant to plant variations.  Even if my two were from the same seed batch, if other Chrysalidocarpus were in bloom at the same time they may not have identical pollen donors.  Seeing more of what others are growing here as baby red stem would be insightful, whether smaller and younger, same age, or older.  So post up your examples.  Neither of the plants that I'm growing may even be "baby red stems" which was part of the reason of creating the post.  Compare and contrast..... sounds a bit like a high school writing assignment but with photos included.