IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Protection

Gator

Fall is here and Winter wont be far behind it.

I am needing some protection ideas for this winter.

I have an 8' in the ground trachy.  In the past, I have wrapped it with foil lined bubble wrap and that was worked ( It isnt very aesthetic )  but it has worked.

I also have 2 washingtonias that are maybe 5' , a 4' sabal minor, and a Red grass palm.

All of which I would like to overwinter.   My Central Utah winters have sunny days with intense solar radiation,  temperatures 30-40 degrees , but the nights are long and lows are usually around 10 degrees.

I have debated building temporary greenhouses around them... but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Happy Fall Yall!

I would suggest incorporating water into you protection scheme. The amount of heat released when going from 32f water to 32f ice is the same as going from 32f water to 176f water(at least btu-energy wise. So flat black water jugs/cartons sealed around your palms. 

It is called latent heat. Humans don't feel it, but plants do.  It happens when matter changes state(solid, liquid/gas/plasma).

Great way to use that high elevation/high energy sunshine and lengthen your growing season.

What zone are you in?  What are your past 5 or 10 year lows if known?  Take a look at this thread below or take a peek at my Youtube and there is a palm protection section of videos.  Basically if a palm is needing greater than 1.5 zones or 15F (ie washingtonia zone 8b and you are in zone 7a) of protection you will need a insulated box, otherwise you can use various frost cloth type wrap techniques with heat.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

What zone are you in?  What are your past 5 or 10 year lows if known?  Take a look at this thread below or take a peek at my Youtube and there is a palm protection section of videos.  Basically if a palm is needing greater than 1.5 zones or 15F (ie washingtonia zone 8b and you are in zone 7a) of protection you will need a insulated box, otherwise you can use various frost cloth type wrap techniques with heat.

Slight mistake should say (ie washingtonia zone 8b and you are in zone 6b).  Frost cloth will give 10-15F of protection with heat underneath.  If you need 10F-15F you can do frost cloth or insulated box.  If you need over 15F you need a insulated box preferred or extra wrapping underneath.   If you get a lot of snow a box may be preferred anyway.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

23 hours ago, SeanK said:

What USDA zone are you in?

How much snow do you get?

Zone 6 and very little snow

My area avg is about 5-6" of precipitation a year.

23 hours ago, Allen said:

Thanks for linking me over to your youtube...I will def chack it out.

I am in Zone 6

Last couple of years my lows have been single digits.

2019 we had -33 

2018 -12

2017 -20

The below zero events have all been short lived..... the Rockies block most of that uber cold air and keep it on the Denver side.

Thanks for all your help.

-Gator

51 minutes ago, Gator said:

Thanks for linking me over to your youtube...I will def chack it out.

I am in Zone 6

Last couple of years my lows have been single digits.

2019 we had -33 

2018 -12

2017 -20

The below zero events have all been short lived..... the Rockies block most of that uber cold air and keep it on the Denver side.

Thanks for all your help.

-Gator

Sabal minor I see is planted by your house - should be fine unprotected.  Might spot fronds under 10F but doubtful it would hurt much

fortunei - I see your pic before on forum and this palm is large enough to handle down to about 12F before fronds start taking damage and 8F before it really starts getting beat up.  Recommendation is a frost cloth cover like on my Youtube (Video 2).  Video 1 is also a option

washy - I recommend a box or wire structure with heat inside.  I think you are about to the insulated box category on those.  That means a wood frame with foam board screwed onto the 4 sides and a piece for the top.  Heat inside can then be about 60watts on a thermocube.  Palm tied up inside.

your cordyline I have no idea on

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Allen said:

Sabal minor I see is planted by your house - should be fine unprotected.  Might spot fronds under 10F but doubtful it would hurt much.  If it goes under 5F and you want it looking good put 3 poles in a triangle shape around it, tie it up and cover with a sheet/frostcloth, etc. 

fortunei - I see your pic before on forum and this palm is large enough to handle down to about 12F before fronds start taking damage and 8F before it really starts getting beat up.  Recommendation is a frost cloth cover like on my Youtube (Video 2).  Video 1 is also a option

washy - I recommend a box or wire structure with heat inside.  I think you are about to the insulated box category on those.  That means a wood frame with foam board screwed onto the 4 sides and a piece for the top.  Heat inside can then be about 60watts on a thermocube.  Palm tied up inside.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:48 PM, Allen said:

Sabal minor I see is planted by your house - should be fine unprotected.  Might spot fronds under 10F but doubtful it would hurt much

Allen, 

Thank You so much for your help.   it is greatly appreciated.

-Gator

• Like 2

All survive every yr . I do fertilize them from spring to fall . And if cold hit I protect as you see it. I have many palms from zone 10 and up and they all doing well as I protect them

@Zoltan, I applaud your dedication to protecting your lovely tropical paradise.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

43 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

All survive every yr . I do fertilize them from spring to fall . And if cold hit I protect as you see it. I have many palms from zone 10 and up and they all doing well as I protect them

Zoltan.... this is AMAZING.... You have your own Caribbean Island right in your backyard...... WOW

Props to you Bro !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

A tip of the cap to you for maintaining that extensive of a care regimen!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F