IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HELP! Lipstick palm in crisis!

Tropicalliving

We purchased this palm about 4 months ago second hand when it was thriving. 
it is in the same pot we purchased it in. We noticed it’s fronds we’re turning brown and drying out so we increased the watering. It continued to perish so we cut back the dead//dried out parts. 
there is new growth but now I am concerned about the black spots I found on the three main stems that died. 

we live in tropical Darwin, Australia where the weather is always warm and mostly humid. 

Please take a look at the pictures I’ve attached. Any advice about what I should do from here will be so greatly appreciated! 

Thank-you in advance : ) 

Rikki : ) 

0BB64672-503E-42EA-85C6-65B5BE1BACFE.jpeg

5090F87B-3B1B-43EE-8A77-BEC8F5122733.jpeg

163864D7-50E2-42A4-87CE-01677350AF29.jpeg

4F75A914-6199-4CAC-A5CB-6B2343D65C17.jpeg

104628E8-5913-4BFA-839D-DF6194E2E183.jpeg

284EE472-811F-4312-BB1E-59CE8430E372.jpeg

D61310B3-358B-4EB2-98EA-0B12074955D8.jpeg

Ask the same question of Tim West on the local gardening FB page  ( Darwin Backyard Plants  )....if it is some sorta local affliction he will know the answer.
This species does well in Darwin providing you keep up the watering regime during the 'dry season'. they are very thirsty and the low humidity and hot winds of Aug-Sept are not their friends.

Thanks so much for the advice greysrigging! I’ll get in touch with Tim West : ) 

Keep them in a saucer of water. I always keep mine sitting in water, I have seen them sitting in ponds up to top of pot. I don’t think they can get too much water.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:02 PM, Barry said:

Keep them in a saucer of water. I always keep mine sitting in water, I have seen them sitting in ponds up to top of pot. I don’t think they can get too much water.

Agree. I kept my red & green lipsticks in trays of water for years before they outgrew the lanai and I had to sell them. I grew them under shade cloth and they were dark green and healthy compared to being under ferocious SWFL sun.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...