IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Splitting multi-trunk Washingtonia Robustas?

Zeni

About a week and a half ago I bought a quadruplet-trunk Robusta (looks like 1 year old ones) and decided to split them.
Now 3 out of 4 of them are extremely shriveled up despite that all of them were split with lots of roots still attached. Unsurprisingly, the one with the biggest trunk didn't shrivel up.

Will the shrivelled up ones survive? Potting soil mixture is 50% perlite 50% regular potting soil, watered once a week, pots have drainage holes.

This is my first try to split Washies, so not sure about this. Feedback is welcome.

gcCV02G.jpg

• Like 1

The spear of the two dried up ones is still firm and there is some greenery on the lower end of the spear. I have some hope for those two. The single blade one likely will die, it was growing underneath the other 3 and was least developed (but had decent amount of roots).

Any indication how many weeks I have to wait until I know for sure they survived or not? @ZPalms

Edited by Zeni
  • Like 1

Shriveled up palms is never a good sign. If it was just the oldest leaves and the newest spear still looked good and green the odds would be better. With the spear going brown as well it’s not looking good. Nothing wrong with experimenting, would have been a handful if you kept them together. The biggest one still looking good?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Shriveled up palms is never a good sign. If it was just the oldest leaves and the newest spear still looked good and green the odds would be better. With the spear going brown as well it’s not looking good. Nothing wrong with experimenting, would have been a handful if you kept them together. The biggest one still looking good?  

Thanks for the reply. I dotted the lowest area of the growth points with a marker, and slowly I am noticing the dots are moving up. So I think the three trunked ones survived. No clear signs of life for the tiny one.

The biggest (still green) one is still green and its spear is growing vigorously. I am certain that one survived. Now just the two/three other ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeni said:

Thanks for the reply. I dotted the lowest area of the growth points with a marker, and slowly I am noticing the dots are moving up. So I think the three trunked ones survived. No clear signs of life for the tiny one.

The biggest (still green) one is still green and its spear is growing vigorously. I am certain that one survived. Now just the two/three other ones.

You’re welcome. That’s very good news! Definitely the best way to watch for growth day by day. 

• Upvote 1

@teddytn

Good news, I think I am seeing that the single leaved one is also showing signs of life by it pushing out a new leaf. 

So in all likely all 4 survived, shocking how much stress Robustas can handle.

In a few months when they all look healthy again I will post an ''after'' picture.

This thread will be useful to palm newbies as Robustas are frequently sold as multi-trunks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zeni said:

@teddytn

Good news, I think I am seeing that the single leaved one is also showing signs of life by it pushing out a new leaf. 

So in all likely all 4 survived, shocking how much stress Robustas can handle.

In a few months when they all look healthy again I will post an ''after'' picture.

This thread will be useful to palm newbies as Robustas are frequently sold as multi-trunks.

You have a green thumb sir! :greenthumb: Great work! 

• Like 1