IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Anthurium thread

metalfan

Just acquired this possible hybrid Anthurium from a friend.  He has a couple of these in the ground here in Encinitas, so I intend to try planting this one in my garden too.

20231211-BH3I2834.jpg

20231211-BH3I2835.jpg

20231211-BH3I2836.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 1 month later...

Just posting a photo of this A. marmoratum ( thanks Gina for the ID), it’s looking great this season. Normally it looks a bit tattered because of the large soft leaves and even the slightest poke or gust of wind creates a tear.

Tim  

IMG_7253.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 months later...

Spring has arrived and I'm seeing some new growth on this still unidentified Anthurium species.

20240328-BH3I3314.jpg

20240328-BH3I3315.jpg

New young leaf on an Anthurium sp. cirinoi.

20240328-BH3I3309.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:34 PM, Tracy said:

Anthurium sp. cirinoi.

I really like these.  Would be nice to be able to grow these outdoors as you are to accommodate those Huge leaves.

After a few years growing this A. Wendlingeri, I’m getting close to witnessing the curious ‘pig-tailed’ spiraled spadix.  I’ll update with another photo when it fully unfurls.  

They were difficult and expensive to obtain a few years ago.  I was happy to get this from ecuagenera.  They usually have reasonable prices but  it was pricey for them.  Maybe they are more readily available these days.

IMG_8997.thumb.jpeg.cdb4652c95699eca3730de622bd9fd0d.jpeg

IMG_8998.thumb.jpeg.7c44553a550a08ee4517376a85b82e53.jpeg

• Like 2

I got one from them when they were on sale. Mine is just about mature enough to bloom, I just repotted it. We can compare blooms at some point!

I have a huge number of 2 year seedlings I hybridized. They are all growing really well. I had to make some shelves in the GH for them all, to get the up off the ground. I've never had shelves or benches before...I don't really like the look. But they are working pretty good so I will put up with it.  I just repotted everything, I'm still working on some spring repots.

017CC6A3-90E3-4483-9291-245459D83539_1_201_a.heic AA660250-08DE-4889-B562-8E74E508550B_1_201_a.heic A1A46316-9796-47E3-BBA6-AFFEED17E37B_1_201_a.heic

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

1 hour ago, metalfan said:

I got one from them when they were on sale. Mine is just about mature enough to bloom, I just repotted it. We can compare blooms at some point!

Yes, we will have to do that!  Right before ecuagenera made theirs available I bought one from a CA grower (who also has a ghs in Costa Rica?).  Anyhow, he crossed parents known to produce very long leaves and sold the seedlings.  I’ll be curious to see how that wendlingeri seedling compares with the ecuagenera one when they both mature.

Such a nice display of patterns and forms on your creations. Looking like a lush, tropical living wall in your greenhouse!

Thanks! Do you have Anthurium sp. Limon? I picked one up in a trade 3-4 years ago. Ecuagenera had them for sale for a very brief period and I have never seen them there again. The person I got mine from got it at the IAS show in Miami.

It's a climber, I think mine is nearing maturity. When it gets mature enough it splits into a trilobe form

A4D4815A-8F76-4496-81F8-661CE5DB95B8_1_201_a.heic AAFF4FBC-6D65-4042-84A3-3B18AE533568_1_201_a.heic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

Do you have Anthurium sp. Limon? I picked one up in a trade 3-4 years ago. Ecuagenera had them for sale for a very brief period and I have never seen them there again. The person I got mine from got it at the IAS show in Miami.

I’ve never seen those before. The trilobe form sounds like it is worth waiting for. I’ll keep an eye out for one. Thanks.

It’s always the top of the leaf (lobes?) that brown/crisp first with my warocqueanums, and sometimes veitchii.  60% humidity, range between 60-75 degrees F, in ventilated glass cabinet.

Anyone else experience this? Wondering if they get rid of excess salts that way.

Otherwise, healthy looking intact leaves, each one generally larger than the last leaf.  This one is about to flower and produce its largest leaf yet; so, I’m thinking the conditions should be fine.  Not sure what the missing cultural elements are.

IMG_9051.thumb.jpeg.0ace74b8220631bb15ac68abc8c2d64f.jpeg

IMG_9052.thumb.jpeg.2acb3bab1cf555adf6fd45ab6f0a4a96.jpeg

IMG_9053.thumb.jpeg.a88178a632d030dfcc807ff3d0af442a.jpeg

Since I don;t grow in a cabinet, I can't really say...but my suspicion is, its too close to the grow light

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metalfan said:

but my suspicion is, its too close to the grow light

Aaah.  Thank you.  That may be it.  I was so focused on the humidity with these that I wasn’t even thinking of excessive lighting damage.

Your leaves look a little dusky too, did you check for pests like spider mites?

This baby is going off the script. I think it's A. furcatum, but the tag was lost. It just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger

IMG_8909.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple plants I am waiting to get big. Both these are pushing 4 years old. 

Anthurium cupulispathum, and Anthurium longistrorsum

Anthurium queremalense has finally settled down after more than a year and decided to grow in my conditions.

IMG_9077.jpeg

IMG_9087.jpeg

IMG_9082.jpeg

• Like 3

Purchased 3-4 years ago as seedlings from Ecuagenera. First one of supposed to be Anthurium lentii, second one is Anthurium lancea cf. The lentii is not true to type. The cf is probably an as yet undescribed species.Both grew into very handsome plants

IMG_9125.jpeg

IMG_9124.jpeg

• Like 2