IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Anthurium thread

metalfan

The old one got so long, I thought I'd start a new one! Anthurium regale today. I think I pollinated the spadix...it was snow white and turned purple overnight. If I did, first time for me on a regale pollination

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Anthurium dressleri seedling .

P1010995.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

At the risk of sounding like an absolute NOVICE, I'm going to post what I have, and beg for some newbie advice.

----

Anthurium pseudospectabile:
This one's doing great so far! It was an experimental add-on to a Floribunda order, and did great over the winter (leaf blemishes were already there when I got them). I had two originally, and ordered two more in my recent order (which happily were as large as my original two). I keep them inside by a window, in some expensive "aroid mix" I purchased on Etsy.  All four plants are in the same pot right now, but I have hidden dividers in the soil to keep the roots separate. My eventual goal would be to have them hang indoors during the cool season, and hang outdoors (in a shady sheltered spot) during the Spring/Summer. Seems good so far, but open to any advice!

pseudospectabile.jpg.eee86ee0dfd29623666a570cd6597ac2.jpg

----

Anthurium regale clone:
Emboldened by my pseudospectabile success, I purchased a regale "clone" from Tropicals when they were at an Orchid show near me. I've only owned it a week and am terrified I'm going to kill it. It's still in the original cup, but I was thinking of moving it to more the same expensive "aroid mix" that seemed to work for the pseudospectabile. Then ideally do the same plan as with the other... Inside during cold season, outside (in shady sheltered spot) in growing season. Any chance this beauty is going to survive? And do I mount it on a moss pole or something? Also, does the fact that mine is a "clone" mean anything significant? (there were other regale that didn't say clone but mine looked just as good to my eyes). Has a minor blemish, which I think lowered the price slightly (I think it's still gorgeous). Seriously need advice on this one!!!

regale.jpg.3e417317da332a2ce5292c0e71301555.jpg

----

Anthurium pallidiflorum:
Another purchase from the same show. I'm less worried about this one than the regale clone since I saw what I believe to be this one hanging outside (in a protected spot) at a plant friend's house. Plan is similar to the other two... hang inside in cold season & outside (in protected spot) in warm season.

pallidiflorum.jpg.182a2108cdfdaf760c0492859d031a45.jpg

----

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide!!! :greenthumb:

* I don't have a cabinet, artificial humidity, etc., though I could probably hook up "misters" of some sort in the outdoor spot. Feeling like I've probably just doomed these beautiful plants (esp the regale clone)... but I'd love to see them survive if at all possible. 

• Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Hi Stacey, all 'clone' means is that your plant came from a group of plants that was vegetatively propagated from a single plant. In other words, your plant was grown from stem cuttings off another Regale. What I personally have found about Regale is, they do not like to dry out. I grow mine in moss baskets.

Pallidiflorum is an epiphyte and does well on a hanging basket likes to be kept moist as well

Pseudospectabile is a Pachyneurium that will eventually get very large. It should hang.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, metalfan said:

What I personally have found about Regale is, they do not like to dry out...

Just so I'm clear, are you saying that they don't like the roots to dry, or that the leaves have to stay constantly moist?
* They probably like both... just want to make sure I understand what you're saying here.

I've been watching YouTube videos and am going to try to slowly aclimate the regale & pallifordium to my ambient humidity (I just put them back into plastic bags with a small hole to give them some 'spa' time). It looks like some people near me have managed it, but San Diego obviously doesn't have ideal conditions for these plants. At least the pseudospectabile seems to be a winner here so far.

Hoping the regale doesn't "melt" in the next couple weeks, but "It's better to have loved and lost..." - and I really am loving it at the moment :wub2:

Oh, and thanks for the "clone" explanation... sounds like it shouldn't be a factor on either durability or resale value of the plant (I was curious on that). Appreciate all the tips :greenthumb:

No its the roots that need to stay moist. Not drowning, but moist, not dry

• Like 1

You might take a leaf from the book of the late Dr. Mardy Darian who was a famous horticulturist from Vista CA.  He had a 10 acre tropical rainforest in Vista. This is of course no longer in existence, he died some time ago. But the way he grew Regale in Vista was to grow them in sphagnum moss in shallow saucers of water, to keep the humidity up around the plants and keep the roots moist. My first 2 anthurium regales came from Dr, Darian's collection, Years and years ago

• Upvote 1

Another thought....regale is naturally occurring in the premontane forest of the Andes. So its neither really hot growing, or cloudforest cool/high elevation growing...more maybe a 'lukewarm' tropical grower? Mine seem to be adapted to the intense heat here in Florida summer,  but like I alluded to before, I never, EVER let them dry out and its very very humid here in the hot season.  And I manage to keep the humidity in my greenhouse at at least 70% in the cooler season. I used to live in Los Angeles (Culver City to be exact, a scant 6 miles from Santa Monica and Venice) and in the years I lived there it was never truly 'hot'...not the way it was in South Texas where I grew up, or the way it is here. We considered 80F a 'hot' day there, and a humidity level of 40% 'muggy'. Regale would have been happy there. I don't know how different San Diego is from Culver City.

• Upvote 1

I thought I'd post a picture of my largest Anthurium waroqueanum that I topped last week.  For scale it's potted in a 3 gal. pot.

Anth waroqueanum 052022.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That is gorgeous Marie! My queen is doing funny stuff. She dropped several leaves, then seems to be using the old leaf scars to push out new growth points, as well as a new plant from her base.

1 hour ago, metalfan said:

That is gorgeous Marie! My queen is doing funny stuff. She dropped several leaves, then seems to be using the old leaf scars to push out new growth points, as well as a new plant from her base.

Thanks.  It sounds like yours has damaged its growth point and is pushing out a lot of new ones.  Time to propagate!

14 hours ago, Marie Nock said:

Thanks.  It sounds like yours has damaged its growth point and is pushing out a lot of new ones.  Time to propagate!

That is what is weird...the apical meristem is also producing a new leaf. I can;t figure out what this thing is doing ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

POOH. My regale spadix aborted. Fickle, fickle plant.

But look! This is pretty weird. The first pic is an Anthurium seedling I am growing. This is a forgetii hybrid, most likely with besseae x magnificum or possible magnificum. It is the ONLY one out of the entire lot that has this pancake round look. In fact its so round it looks like A. 'Silver Blush', the Crystallinum hybrid. But I know it can;t be...no crysttallinum was in bloom during this period (I only have one) and the Silver Blush I had has never bloomed. 2nd pic me holding up my hybrid in front of my Silver Blush

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

• Upvote 1

All these anthuriums in the above posts look fantastic! I have this A. Veitchii that I bought as a $$ barely rooted chonk last summer and I think it’s gone 6 months without roots carrying 2 leaves —-I’m assuming that it can take up water through the chonk? 

anyways, I put it in a glass pedestal vase for extra humidity to encourage roots.  It’s maintaining consistent 70% humidity and 70 F in there,  If it’s going to be struggling then it might as well look elegant.

E58C893D-0E65-42E3-8534-6D0A51CEF145.thumb.jpeg.99c51044b47a555f28bc6641010e93c1.jpeg

E17F0B97-37F0-4691-9FA8-AC9DAC0AB94C.thumb.jpeg.d887679e2877b50dd723957ddb560642.jpeg

224F9740-09F1-49E4-893D-22CF7DEC1608.thumb.jpeg.f6c10ef6afa61444d2c23510353e4c20.jpeg

73264EC7-CC5D-434E-A0F8-E727BFC34F18.thumb.jpeg.4186f35616827165b3bdf0a5ef3787d3.jpeg

5D5B3AAA-DEBA-4386-B59C-BFB12432B40B.thumb.jpeg.60a8f2a8d3e7c4e766cde9f34f69b98e.jpeg

• Like 2

I almost never deal with those types of stem cuttings. The ones I have, I have removed a plant from them (which had enough of a root system to survive on its own), but the stem that is left still has all its roots. Sometimes you can get them to make still another plant, and sometimes not. It can take a long time though. I am not sure about a rootless stem cutting trying to support leaves. I mean, I guess they do...but...I have no experience with it

• Like 1

Yes, some expensive lessons learned last year.  Any anthuriums that I buy online since then have to be in a clear pot with abundant roots showing before I purchase.  Easy to be sold by large anthurium leaves but unless it’s got healthy roots it’s a down hill slide from get go. 

On 5/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, iDesign said:

Anthurium pseudospectabile:
This one's doing great so far! It was an experimental add-on to a Floribunda order, and did great over the winter (leaf blemishes were already there when I got them). I had two originally, and ordered two more in my recent order (which happily were as large as my original two). I

These look great. And that pallidiflorum is a really nice specimen too.

question on the pseudospectabile - were they offered as 4” pots?  I just saw some and considered adding to my floribunda order.

I purchased a spectabile from a Hawaii grower last summer after being wowed by one at the Marie Selby Garden in Sarasota, FL.  Mine slowly lost approximately 8 leaves down to only 2 leaves over the winter.  Roots were healthy as far as I could assess.  It’s now putting out a nice long leaf!

DEDA4021-6C7C-41C8-9348-6F2B9BE9ACDD.thumb.jpeg.3134f4c68e40d9f2d5e8686273ffaae4.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, piping plovers said:

question on the pseudospectabile - were they offered as 4” pots?  I just saw some and considered adding to my floribunda order.

Both the ones I bought last Summer + the ones I bought this Spring were indeed in 4" pots.

Ironically the pseudospectabile I bought this year already seemed bigger than the ones they sent me last year (that had an "extra" year of growth). If I were to guess I would say all of them were probably from the same batch, with one doing a year of growth in CA and the other a year in HI. Seems like a great time to buy some if you're thinking about it.

Leaf length for reference (leaf only, not including stem) ranges from 8-12". Only thing I guess I could complain about is that some of the leaves have bug bite holes (likely from being outside). Didn't bother me, but thought I'd mention it. Roots were plentiful and seemed healthy (though I'm not an expert).

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Floribunda as in Jeff Marcus in Hawaii? The Palm Nursery? I did not know they were selling aroids.

This is my Ace of Spades. It's ancient, its one of the very old Novelty Greens AOS from around 2002/3. I tried to pollinate it, but it didn't take. Its about to have another inflo so I will get another chance

IMG_3425.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

Floribunda as in Jeff Marcus in Hawaii? The Palm Nursery? I did not know they were selling aroids.

This is my Ace of Spades.

Yes, he has 4 species listed on his list.

I can see where your anthurium gets it’s name, that newer dark leaf really looks like the ace of spades in a card deck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iDesign said:

Both the ones I bought last Summer + the ones I bought this Spring were indeed in 4" pots.

Yes, thank you.  That is helpful. That large new leaf is remarkable growth for a 4” size. 

• Like 1

Here’s how they looked on arrival. Was packaged same as a palm... in lava rock wrapped in tinfoil.

443BEB95-A272-486A-B674-A1F8611A1336.jpeg.0be0d62d9d98481da71d44d4098853e5.jpeg

Price was higher than his 4” palms, but much lower than most USA sources. Possibly a case of someone getting on the anthurium bandwagon due to recent popularity, but no complaints from me!

* If you get one of the other anthuriums please post a photo on Palmtalk. Kinda wish I had ordered more (now that I’m getting more into them).

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting this photo with dimensions. Seems very reasonable price for the size.  AND they came potted!   —- Am running out of patience with the bare root anthuriums.  :( I’ve seen similar to slightly larger sized spectacle or pseudospectabile ones online for 8x the price!  

yes, I receive my first order from them today.   Palms I’ve wanted for years.  My next order I’ll try some of the anthuriums and will post pics.

• Like 1

I got this from a friend who was moving. She gave me a bunch of plants, among them 2 very very small seedlings...one is Anthurium wendlingerii, and the other is Anthurium pallidiflorum. But, she didn't label them. So I don't know which is which. I have to wait til they grow up LOL. But in the meantime...whichever one this one is, has a variegated leaf! Its probably a one and done, but it would be pretty cool if this was a variegated plant

IMG_3455.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

Anthurium wendlingerii

That’s a nice one to have!  Only seen one offered once in the past year.

• 1 month later...

this is Anthurium Faustomirandae.  At a local nursery in South Florida.  When I took this pic it was about noon and summer time heat.  It is getting straight blasted with that intense sun light.  The leaves are huge and I am sure this plant has been here for many years thriving.

20220622_135653.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mytropicalyard said:

this is Anthurium Faustomirandae.  At a local nursery in South Florida.  When I took this pic it was about noon and summer time heat.  It is getting straight blasted with that intense sun light.  The leaves are huge and I am sure this plant has been here for many years thriving.

20220622_135653.jpg

These are tough mothers. I have had these for about 18 years. Nothing fazes them

IMG_0500.JPG

• Like 1

I have been doing seedling up potting for the last month. Mostly seedlings from a year ago. I have done probably 20+ trays like this one of 15-20 plants apiece and am still working on this projectIMG_3711.thumb.jpg.00d2ab41714e2cba95b38b5884daa70b.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mytropicalyard said:

At a local nursery in South Florida.  When I took this pic it was about noon and summer time heat.  It is getting straight blasted with that intense sun light. 

That is something considering July sunshine in south Florida 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, metalfan said:

I have done probably 20+ trays like this one of 15-20 plants apiece and am still working on this project

Very industrious. Do you sell those at plant sales, farmers markets, etc?

21 minutes ago, metalfan said:

Anthurium lutheri

Fascinating leaves.  I had to look that one up.

10 hours ago, piping plovers said:

Very industrious. Do you sell those at plant sales, farmers markets, etc?

No, I do sell a couple locally to plant peeps here from time to time, but most I trade. I am growing these from seed for the sheer fun of it, to see what I get from my hybrid crosses. My grand master plan is to select out the ones that have the most unique characteristics to keep for myself, and sell, trade and give away the rest. We have a couple of places here to sell that are low key, and I belong to a couple plant groups that all we do is trade (not sell) and gift plants. This is one of my more unusual seedlings. This is a cross between A. forgetii and A. besseae x magnificum. Forgetii made the seeds, Bess x Mag supplied the pollen. My bess x mag has a mutation in many of the offsets that cause it to have extreme expression of the silver in the veining, almost to the point sometimes of covering the entire leaf blade. Apparently, I have succeeded in passing this trait to some of the seedlings. Like this one.  Seed mother forgetii first, pollen daddy Bess x mag 2nd, seedling third

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:09 PM, piping plovers said:

That is something considering July sunshine in south Florida 

Yes agreed.  There is a leaf (not pictured) that is a little bit bleached from the sun.  But still this plant is thriving.

• Like 1

I did these 2 hybrids about a year ago. I pollinated Anthurium 'Mehani' (complex hybrid, magnificum x (radicans x luxurians) x crystallinum with my A. besseae x magnificum; also pollinated my Anthurium papillilaminum with my besseae x mag. My bess x mag carries a mutation that no one has apparently seen in theirs for a trait I call 'high silver' that produces a ton of silver on the leaves that radiate out from the veins.  Apparently I have managed to get this trait to transfer to the seedlings of Mehani and Papillilaminum through the seeds.

Papillilaminum, Mehani, Besseae x mag, pap x (bess x mag) seedling, Mehani x Besseae x mag seedling

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_4009.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:38 AM, metalfan said:

extreme expression of the silver in the veining, almost to the point sometimes of covering the entire leaf blade

Yes, real impressive.  Curious to see what the mature leaves will look like.  Very rewarding  hobby for a patient person.

A few complex hybrids

P1020266.JPG

P1020267.JPG

P1020275.JPG

P1020269.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

2 hours ago, Tomas said:

Is it possible to ID this one? 

maybe Anthurium vittariifolium? Looks very healthy in that pot.

Edited by piping plovers
Edit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, aussiearoids said:

A few complex hybrids

P1020266.JPG

P1020267.JPG

P1020275.JPG

P1020269.JPG

These are all quite interesting!  How old are the plants?