Big Box Store Finds 2022

Keys6505

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

That's some expensive dirt!  Local big boxes do the same.  I guess they're counting on people not checking and assuming "bigger is always better".

The one they had in stock was probably 50% bigger.  Real nice fat trunk on it.  So tempting...

Found this butia at Home Depot in Greensboro NC today for 20 bucks.  Never seen them at big box stores around here before.

598822FF-D857-4D4F-8C51-5CEDF987CFEF.thumb.jpeg.b649cecb164164476d01bcf904b1380a.jpeg

Already got it in the ground 

9DDC5BAF-78FE-4F9D-B91A-CE5D07388707.thumb.jpeg.70265669d7b56800b4bcbd605c9bf3b3.jpeg

• Like 5

Walmart in Slidell, Louisiana 

Bottle and Spindle palms but nothing cold hardy

E7BDAFA4-0502-481B-BE71-71AD82A9337D.jpeg

B1EBB26A-FCB7-49CF-B105-84095F46BD1F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I never and I mean never go to Wally world but maybe I need to start checking out there garden center every now and then haha 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

Our Walmart never has anything but Phoenix roebelenii.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Fill up on your Washingtonias. Home Depot Waco. The Home Depots typically have better (Filifera) hybrids than Lowes. 20 years ago I’d buy.  

EEAA4B14-64FA-4E46-B87B-9284D3F26480.jpeg

885FCF63-B238-43F5-9C3F-94EEB9BF87B4.jpeg

5B1BD886-F478-40AE-B22F-C9061EC357D1.jpeg

• Like 1

30 Year Zone Average 20F. Ryan: Contact 979.204.4161 Collectorpalms@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

My Lowes had quite a large selection last week. There was a massive amount of Phoenix roebelenii, but in those were some hidden gems. Those hidden gems were Phoenix sylvestris and Trachycarpus fortuneii. Of course there was some small and large queens, some large Chamaedorea seifrizii, but they have had these before of the same size. To my surprise, they also had a couple of cycads to choose from. Of course there was the typical sago but they also had plenty of coonties there as well. They also had the indoor stuff like cats and majesties.

Palms - 3 S. romanzoffiana, 2 W. bifurcata, 7 W. robusta, 3 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 P. roebelenii, 2 S. palmetto, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 A. merillii, 3 P. sylvestris

• 2 weeks later...

Well you know how it goes. 

I can resist anything except temptation.  And I'm supposed to be downsizing my palm inventory...  

This one jumped out at me.  

20220923_132539.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What is it? ("Palm" is as far as I  got.) It's not a coconut, is it?

Why are you supposed to be downsizing your palm inventory? What brand of madness is this? Is this a self-imposed edict?

Edited by Manalto
  • Upvote 1

It is a coconut.  I know, I know.  Want outweighed common sense.  

I'm probably moving (to the opposite coast) next summer so I'll only be able to bring the bare minimum... which I think I've cut the list down to about 50 potted palms at this point.  Plus a bunch of seedlings I'll be able to bare-root so those will be easy logistically easier to shove into the back of my suburban....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Well you know how it goes. 

I can resist anything except temptation.  And I'm supposed to be downsizing my palm inventory...  

This one jumped out at me.  

20220923_132539.jpg

I was just about to say before I saw you got one, you can't go wrong with owning a coconut, very fun to take care of and very easy and the fact it has the coconuty leaves you can't beat it 🥳Looks awesome! 😍

I've never considered one after hearing Banana Joe Clemente talk about how poorly they've done for him.  They were my favorite palm when I first got the palm bug but I started disliking them, there are so many other palms that look so much better.  However, this one really looked great at Lowes.  @ZPalmsif everything goes as planned I'll be right down the road from you next year.  Looking forward to the ease of access to Sabals on the east coast. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I've never considered one after hearing Banana Joe Clemente talk about how poorly they've done for him.  They were my favorite palm when I first got the palm bug but I started disliking them, there are so many other palms that look so much better.  However, this one really looked great at Lowes.  @ZPalmsif everything goes as planned I'll be right down the road from you next year.  Looking forward to the ease of access to Sabals on the east coast. 

The Green Malayan has been very easy for me. It is one of my most carefree tropicals when it comes to care, even indoors. It's very easy to work with. I'm guessing yours is also a Green Malayan since I heard they are the most commonly sold. Even if the temperature falls to 62F for a short period at night and it gets a lot of heat during the day, it still does great.

I usually go by the rule that if I think it's too chilly, then the coconut probably thinks so too. I never let it sit out if it reaches 59F. I'm sure the small temperature difference doesn't matter but I don't take the chance because I still want it to look decent. I think temperature is most important over anything else, and indoors, having 0 drafts indoors helps as well, and even low humidity isn't too much of an issue, but I think it's good to have a fair amount! Just a couple things I've noticed and learned while having one when the temperature starts to drop, Help this kinda helps to keep your coconut looking decent. 😋

Where are you heading? Are you coming back to North Carolina?

• 2 weeks later...