Jump to content

Jubaea x Queen has been found


NWpalms@206
 Share

Recommended Posts

Appreciate all the pics. I do see some differences and some similarities to all the pictures I’ve seen.  Hard to say 100% I guess without seeing them in person. The one claiming them as JxS at California nursery is the person who maybe can provide more info and I will try to inquire further. Even if worst case JxB, (clearly F1 if so) of that size is still worth 800+ here. I’ll be happy either way. But Fingers still crossed Patrick does do this cross again someday. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Appreciate all the pics. I do see some differences and some similarities to all the pictures I’ve seen.  Hard to say 100% I guess without seeing them in person. The one claiming them as JxS at California nursery is the person who maybe can provide more info and I will try to inquire further. Even if worst case JxB, (clearly F1 if so) of that size is still worth 800+ here. I’ll be happy either way. But Fingers still crossed Patrick does do this cross again someday. 

Tbh … and I’m just going to throw this out there… send the pics to patrix and see what he says. I can’t see why he wouldn’t be straight with you. He’s got a better eye the most of us combined. :greenthumb:

Imo. JxS seems like a pretty consistent palm in regards to traits . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Tbh … and I’m just going to throw this out there… send the pics to patrix and see what he says. I can’t see why he wouldn’t be straight with you. He’s got a better eye the most of us combined. :greenthumb:

Imo. JxS seems like a pretty consistent palm in regards to traits . 

I may ask him, but I have a couple emails pending back already… he was responding next day every time I emailed. Placed 3 orders over maybe 2 months smoothly. We were back and forth straight forward no issues, Then just nothing when I asked about any more jubaea hybrids or future plans of any. Waited a week asked again. Still nothing like 3 weeks now and several other people have received palms in that time. It’s ok though, I probably was ordering too many too quickly or hes just trying to make the rounds to everyone and he’ll get back to me. I don’t want to be greedy but I could order Patrick palms every payday! This other source has only claimed to have this one other time 2 yrs ago. And these 10 are the last ones they will have. 

93C4797D-A566-4A05-A7CD-5273A575973E.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 10:41 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

I may ask him, but I have a couple emails pending back already… he was responding next day every time I emailed. Placed 3 orders over maybe 2 months smoothly. We were back and forth straight forward no issues, Then just nothing when I asked about any more jubaea hybrids or future plans of any. Waited a week asked again. Still nothing like 3 weeks now and several other people have received palms in that time. It’s ok though, I probably was ordering too many too quickly or hes just trying to make the rounds to everyone and he’ll get back to me. I don’t want to be greedy but I could order Patrick palms every payday! This other source has only claimed to have this one other time 2 yrs ago. And these 10 are the last ones they will have. 

93C4797D-A566-4A05-A7CD-5273A575973E.png

On 2/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, NWpalms@206 said:

Finally found the Jubaea x Queen, for anyone  interested! I know I heard some people say they were looking when I originally posted about this hybrid. But there is a very limited supply found by a trusted resource. 20gal, only 10 of them, likely the last 10 and 7 still available. Hoping to help this individual fill the orders. I can PM the contact, to serious inquiries, as this is a collectors palm and priced accordingly. 
 

edit: this is in the PNW area (Seattle) 

Updated arrival with anything else like Takil for Gary Gregg in the Bay Area?

30 Year Zone Average 20F. Ryan: Contact 979.204.4161 Collectorpalms@gmail.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Updated arrival with anything else like Takil for Gary Gregg in the Bay Area?

Not sure i understand the question.... the cali run will be at the end of this month, he will be stopping at 3 locations, Patricks in Philo, the nursery in San Diego with the JxQ , and Gary Graggs, for Pure jubaea and possibly JxB F1, Gary is also where he gets his Takil, but not sure if he was planning on picking up more of those, although im sure he will if there is a request. Thats what i was told is the plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Not sure i understand the question.... the cali run will be at the end of this month, he will be stopping at 3 locations, Patricks in Philo, the nursery in San Diego with the JxQ , and Gary Graggs, for Pure jubaea and possibly JxB F1, Gary is also where he gets his Takil, but not sure if he was planning on picking up more of those, although im sure he will if there is a request. Thats what i was told is the plan.

He will start in San Diego then work his way north towards the end of the month or beginning of April but sounds like he gonna bring alot of stuff back. I,m looking at  getting a Brahea armata or Sabal riverside as well as the Jubaea x Queen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Love them palms said:

He will start in San Diego then work his way north towards the end of the month or beginning of April but sounds like he gonna bring alot of stuff back. I,m looking at  getting a Brahea armata or Sabal riverside as well as the Jubaea x Queen.

Gonna be a good trip! super excited, im also getting a couple more too. Those sabal riverside are so cool they like a jurassic park palm! Too bad Dave moving to Georgia, Wish I met him sooner, but hell be happy where his palms dont get frozen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I think the pics got mixed up that other was I think pure jub and maybe jxb, here is the JxS that I ended up with. Looks like a Jubaea mule to me. Little beat up from transport and droopy but has the correct characteristics in my opinion. Very different from my jub and jub x butia. 

8C735541-F601-4428-B280-4EB16D1A3A8A.jpeg

D53E1308-778B-4273-AAEE-C7F1F73DE81A.jpeg

32616E86-008A-40E0-B6AF-C0135C5A1EAF.jpeg

49EF90FC-5E1B-40A7-B1DD-E28D290CB7B2.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I think the pics got mixed up that other was I think pure jub and maybe jxb, here is the JxS that I ended up with. Looks like a Jubaea mule to me. Little beat up from transport and droopy but has the correct characteristics in my opinion. Very different from my jub and jub x butia. 

8C735541-F601-4428-B280-4EB16D1A3A8A.jpeg

D53E1308-778B-4273-AAEE-C7F1F73DE81A.jpeg

32616E86-008A-40E0-B6AF-C0135C5A1EAF.jpeg

49EF90FC-5E1B-40A7-B1DD-E28D290CB7B2.jpeg

looks good, also drooling over that Jubaea in the background 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Love them palms said:

looks good, also drooling over that Jubaea in the background 

Me too man! The jubaea is gorgeous and super chunky. It’s like 8ft tall and 10ft wide! Had to use a saws all to trim up old boots. Planting will be intersting, I don’t have much help on hand. It’ll be a 1 man show. I Might rent a kubota I have a lot to do this spring and will make it so much easier. Me and Dave could barely get it into the uhaul with dolly and lift pad. We were struggling. 

58810185-8489-48C6-B44D-4E93346B3866.jpeg

6135193F-F4AA-4872-868B-102873961163.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2022 at 5:42 PM, Collectorpalms said:

They are not from Patric. Doesn’t know how they came about. After looking at the 1 picture could easily be something else. I had random hybrids I pulled from nurseries before they were popular. 
Spending $890 on something site unseen and not even in his hand is risky.

I would spend 890 on another hybrid from Patric that is prettier and more cold hardier. And will replace it if it doesn’t come true.

I love Patrix's stuff....  which of his hybrids have you found to be most cold hardy (and cool/tropical looking as mature plants)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

Me too man! The jubaea is gorgeous and super chunky. It’s like 8ft tall and 10ft wide! Had to use a saws all to trim up old boots. Planting will be intersting, I don’t have much help on hand. It’ll be a 1 man show. I Might rent a kubota I have a lot to do this spring and will make it so much easier. Me and Dave could barely get it into the uhaul with dolly and lift pad. We were struggling. 

58810185-8489-48C6-B44D-4E93346B3866.jpeg

6135193F-F4AA-4872-868B-102873961163.jpeg

Wow,  that thing is gonna take off!   Provided you can give it at least a little heat up where you are.  Climate change, here you come!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Wow,  that thing is gonna take off!   Provided you can give it at least a little heat up where you are.  Climate change, here you come!

Our summers are surprisingly hot and dry, we’re into the 90s and have touched 100 several Times in the last few years. My grass goes completely brown if not watered. And I have sandy loam soil naturally so water drains fast, I think the jubaea will be very happy in the summer, but winters will always stress me out now with my new palm collection. With finding what will survive comes loses and I’m not looking forward to that part. I think the jubaea is gonna do just fine though!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well I got my goods...
2 Jubaea x Queen 
1 Jubaea x Butia yatay 
that Dave Alvarez was nice enough to pick up from Patrick 
1 Jubaea

20220410_121702.jpg

20220410_121743.jpg

20220410_121734.jpg

20220410_121708.jpg

20220410_121725.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are those the jxs along the garage door? Do I see hooks on them? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Love them palms said:

well I got my goods...

Scoring big palms like this is so satisfying haha! Love that jub x yatay, and nice jubaea too. Is that 20 or 30g? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Love them palms said:

well I got my goods...
2 Jubaea x Queen 
1 Jubaea x Butia yatay 
that Dave Alvarez was nice enough to pick up from Patrick 
1 Jubaea

20220410_121702.jpg

20220410_121743.jpg

20220410_121734.jpg

20220410_121708.jpg

20220410_121725.jpg

the ones right next to the door arre the JxQ s and yes there are those beautiful hooks on the fronds. was a great score :shaka-2:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Scoring big palms like this is so satisfying haha! Love that jub x yatay, and nice jubaea too. Is that 20 or 30g? 

I believe the Jubaea is 20 g. the fun part is gonna be figuring out where to put them and planting them. the wife wants one in the back yard 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting… my JxS has never exhibited hooks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which one is the jxS? I am not seeing the Syagrus.  Once mine grows out of it nutrient funk I’ll post pictures of mine. It’s suppose to be in a batch or maybe a younger batch than the one posted by Meteorologist Palm Guy. It’s starting to look different than his. I think it needs another year. It’s in a new pot, but not in the ground.

Otherwise those are big heathy palms!

30 Year Zone Average 20F. Ryan: Contact 979.204.4161 Collectorpalms@gmail.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Which one is the jxS? I am not seeing the Syagrus.  Once mine grows out of it nutrient funk I’ll post pictures of mine. It’s suppose to be in a batch or maybe a younger batch than the one posted by Meteorologist Palm Guy. It’s starting to look different than his. I think it needs another year. It’s in a new pot, but not in the ground.

Otherwise those are big heathy palms!

the 2 right next to the garage door....the first one in the video as well as the last one with the yellow tag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...