Jump to content

Copernicia berteroana flowering in Arizona


aztropic
 Share

Recommended Posts

Collected the seeds for this one on the IPS sponsored trip to the Dominican Republic in 2006.Grown entirely in Arizona,it is finally flowering at 15 years old.:greenthumb:

 

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

 

IMG_20211210_124550216_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211210_123702883_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211210_123733531_HDR.jpg

  • Like 19
  • Upvote 3

Mesa, Arizona

 

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Copernicia berteroana always reminds me of our common Mexican fan palms,but is actually less cold hardy. This one has completely defoliated a few times over the years due to our winter freezes,but always comes back. A fast grower,they can generate a completely new canopy in just one season.

 

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

  • Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

 

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

A fast grower,they can generate a completely new canopy in just one season.

That does sound a lot like a Washingtonia robusta in speed.  Nicely grown specimen.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, aztropic said:

Copernicia berteroana always reminds me of our common Mexican fan palms,but is actually less cold hardy. This one has completely defoliated a few times over the years due to our winter freezes,but always comes back. A fast grower,they can generate a completely new canopy in just one season.

 

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Looks great Scott!  So it's seen mid 20's at your place when it defoliated?

  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations!!

My IPS seeds sprouted this spring, I have now a few one - and two strap - seedlings. Let's see

how long it will take under our Okinawian conditions.

 

regards

Lars

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

Here's a few of the hundreds of seeds it produced! Probably could be as weedy as a Washingtonia... Still, extremely unusual palm that seems to thrive in the desert southwest. :lol2:

 Once cleaned,fresh seeds sprout in less than a week! If you want to grow a palm from seed and you have no patience,this is a good one to try...

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20220817_190256478.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

 

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Some of the sprouts growing from these seeds. Very fast,while using up seed nutrients.

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20221006_082442418.jpg

  • Like 6

Mesa, Arizona

 

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, aztropic said:

Some of the sprouts growing from these seeds. Very fast,while using up seed nutrients.

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

 

What are your experiences with repotting this species into larger pots or when planting out -

are their roots as sensible as those of eg. C. fallaensis ?

 

Lars

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think I lost any of these when repotting the first batch 15 years ago. It is definitely a more aggressive grower than the Cuban Copernicias.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

  • Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

 

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Don't think I lost any of these when repotting the first batch 15 years ago. It is definitely a more aggressive grower than the Cuban Copernicias.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Got it - thank you for your reply!

 

Lars

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has Definetly for me been the hardest to grow of all the copernicias I’ve tried.so  far I’ve got ekmanii that seems to be hardier than berts but @aztropics are awesome ! They definetly make  me keep trying at them . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...