IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SOS for my Majesty Palm! Yellowing fronds but unsure of the issue!

smurgs

Hello everyone! I’m new here and also new-ish to caring for plants. I bought this Majesty Palm last month and it’s been finicky so far. I really want to save it, but I feel like it’s getting worse. Is it able to be salvaged?

To give some details: it came in a plastic 9 inch pot. We recently repotted it in a 11” plastic pot and we drilled about 4, maybe 5 holes. I have an even bigger planter on the way for future repotting. It was incredibly root bound from what we could see. We changed the soil to Fox Farm Ocean Forest and has been fertilized twice so far with a very diluted version of Fox Farm Grow Big 6-4-4. We also added a bunch of perlite but I’m starting to wonder if it was enough! I know there is debate on whether misting helps at all, but I have been doing that pretty much daily, since the area I live in has been around 40-50% humidity and less lately. I don’t water it too often but I make sure the soil is always moist, and water when it’s on the drier side, about a knuckle or two deep. It’s kept on the patio (which I would say is partially sunny and shady) in a shadier area. 

The fronds around the outside of the palm have been slowly turning yellow and many of the others have slight brown tips. I’ve been searching everywhere for answers on what is the cause of this and how to move forward from here. 

- is it too much light? Not enough light? 
- not enough humidity? 
- not enough water? Too much water? 
- is the trunk itself the issue? Is it root rot? 
- too little nutrients? Too many nutrients? 

finally, I have to ask, should I be cutting off these damaged fronds or leave them? I can’t seem to find a consensus on this. Some say it’s best to cut them off because the plant is using too much energy to repair the unsalvageable fronds and some say just leave them on. I appreciate any advice! I really want this plant to start thriving!! :(wkE5CFi.jpgmHwHHDb.jpgAN4ioDE.jpgJASyEwe.jpgi9leP4k.jpgGBnOVLo.jpg

Welcome to PalmTalk. First, where in the world are you? Second, you have 3 separate palms in that pot. Majesties are solitary palms and will compete for water and nutrients. Have you been keeping them indoors for an extended time and just recently took them outdoors? What I see is likely sunburn because the palms have not been acclimated to spring sun. Majesties make terrible houseplants. Many people on PT will attest to that. They hate being in pots and kept in dark, dry houses. Yours would be much happier if put in the ground unless you live a place that has cold winters.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

In addition to what Meg said, water it more. A lot more. And fertilize it more. As long as there's drainage, it's next to impossible to over water these - their natural habitat is literally river muck, they love water and nutrients. Plus you've got 3 in there competing for water and food. 

• Like 1

I can't tell what is wrong with the palm but I can tell you that the verdict is in on the leaf cutting question.

Don't do it until they are crisp and brown and dead. Nutrients are being recycled back from the dead leaves to the new ones.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I used to listen to the advise water the heck out of potted majesty’s. Horrible advice. If the Palm isn’t hot and getting air movement. Those roots will rot like the rest of them!