IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My palm has rotted trunk. Let me know if I need to..

NewB_NewB

I have a palm tree which has truck rot. 
I googled, and I found there is multiple kind of fungus for palmtree.
And I saw that some kind of fungus, like Thielaviopsis paradoxa, will spread to other palm tree.
The trunk already got heavily damaged, so I think there is no way to save my palm tree, so I'm going to cut the palm tree. 
However I just want to make it sure if my palm has the fungus type which will spread, or not.
If it has spreading fungus, then I think I need to spray fungucide around the soil to prevent sreading fungus to other trees. 

Please check my pictures, and let me know.
By the way, can you let me know name of the palm tree? 

I have another question
I saw white scales on other palm tree trunk.[plz check a video that I attahced]
My ladder was not too tall, so I cound't check palm tree leaves well.
However I think there is no scales on leaves. 
The palm tree looks very healthy. 
Do I need to spray insectcide? 
If I need to spray insectcide, please let me know what I need to use. 
Thank you. 

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4937 (1).jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

Edited by NewB_NewB

5 hours ago, NewB_NewB said:

By the way, can you let me know name of the palm tree? 

It looks like a sickly Ravenea rivularis to me. 

¿Dónde estás?

Woher kommen Sie?

D'où venez-vous?

Same questions so someone from your area can help.

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

@NewB_NewB nice to meet you!

I agree with @Tracy the palm in the top pictures is Ravenea rivularis.

The Palm in your video looks like it might be a Chambeyronia. Does it get red new leaves?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you for your reply! 

I live in Southern California, near Hacienda height. 

No it didn't make any new leaves. 

When I hit the bottom part of trunk, I could feel that inside of trunk is kind of empty.

So I think it will not easy to heal the palm tree.

Replace it. Ravenea rivularis is cheap and plentiful and there are many nicer palms in So Cal. Palms do not heal themselves, esp. from damage/neglect as serious as that. 

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The palm in your video appears to be a Queen palm with some scale on its trunk. Queen palms are very needy. They need lots of water and fertilizer to be healthy and a healthy palm is much less likely to attract insect pests. 

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

14 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Replace it. Ravenea rivularis is cheap and plentiful and there are many nicer palms in So Cal. Palms do not heal themselves, esp. from damage/neglect as serious as that. 

This

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 3/11/2021 at 9:37 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

The palm in your video appears to be a Queen palm with some scale on its trunk. Queen palms are very needy. They need lots of water and fertilizer to be healthy and a healthy palm is much less likely to attract insect pests. 

We have many tall King and Queen palm trees in our back yard, and we haven't water them :) 

We thought they can get water from ground themselves because they are big palm trees. 

We also have medium sized palm trees too, and we didn't water them too because they was kind of okay even though we didn't water them.

We watered the medium sized palm trees last summer just few times when we saw their leaves were about to wilt

So we though most palm trees has well developed root already.

By the way, can you let me know what is the best way to remove the scales?

I guess watering will not kill the scale, right? 

Thank you! 

On 3/10/2021 at 9:44 PM, NewB_NewB said:

Thank you for your reply! 

I live in Southern California, near Hacienda height. 

No it didn't make any new leaves. 

When I hit the bottom part of trunk, I could feel that inside of trunk is kind of empty.

So I think it will not easy to heal the palm tree.

You’re right over the hill from me.

Come visit and see the possibilities!

Shoot me a private message (PM).

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I cut the Ravenea rivularis yesterday. 

I was thinking that many insects or mold might come from trunk.

However it turned out that trunk was clean and okay.

So I cut the bottom part of trunk sideway where I though it is rot, and I found it was not rot. 

Just surface of portion of bottom trunk was bad. However even it was not rot.

Instead, I could see there were many mealy bugs on leaves 

Anyhow, I was thinking to remove the palm tree, so it doesn't matter.

By the way, can you let me know what is the best way to take root out?

After pulling out the palm tree completely, I wan to plant fruit tree, like cherimoya, atemoya, or guava. 

I want to ask you which fruit tree can be good for me. However I think it will be better to ask on new post. 

Thank you. 

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

• Upvote 1

@NewB_NewB Ravenea rivularis are very prone to rot and other problems from damage to their trunks, even if it’s relatively minor. I see examples all over the place. It’s particularly bad when they’re planted next to driveways where they get hit by vehicles.

More or less the same is true of other soft trunk palms. Palms with harder trunks handle injuries better - usually.

I think you did the right thing by removing your injured specimen, since you were going to do so anyway.

Sometimes you have to “edit” your garden, Even if with a heavy heart, as many here well know.

• Like 2

Here’s an example in my hood of Ravenea rivularis that’s not good 

F7EA61A4-2F55-4F25-A6E4-CD4EFDEB8F09.thumb.jpeg.7a5c8bef33915a19a327a44846c6891c.jpeg

On 3/11/2021 at 9:29 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

Guess I need to drive a semi trailer up there, buy tons of palms :D How much is a Majesty the same size as op has?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NewB_NewB said:

I cut the Ravenea rivularis yesterday. 

I was thinking that many insects or mold might come from trunk.

However it turned out that trunk was clean and okay.

So I cut the bottom part of trunk sideway where I though it is rot, and I found it was not rot. 

Just surface of portion of bottom trunk was bad. However even it was not rot.

Instead, I could see there were many mealy bugs on leaves 

Anyhow, I was thinking to remove the palm tree, so it doesn't matter.

By the way, can you let me know what is the best way to take root out?

After pulling out the palm tree completely, I wan to plant fruit tree, like cherimoya, atemoya, or guava. 

I want to ask you which fruit tree can be good for me. However I think it will be better to ask on new post. 

Thank you. 

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

You could have just cut of parts of the top then treat the bugs and scale and hope it grows back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s an example in my hood of Ravenea rivularis that’s not good 

F7EA61A4-2F55-4F25-A6E4-CD4EFDEB8F09.thumb.jpeg.7a5c8bef33915a19a327a44846c6891c.jpeg

Wow!!!!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 7 months later...