IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Water and Cold Hardiness

ahosey01

Wondering if anyone can share some experience on variations in cold hardiness for the same palm species in wet vs. dry soil.

I am aware of a local guy here in AZ who has told me that his Bismarckia nobilis has never defoliated in dry soil in cold snaps in the winter, but that he killed one by continuing to water before he figured that out.

Anybody have any similar experiences?

I'm not sure if it's the soil as much as wet weather and the cold combined affecting palms ie. freezing water damage/fungus growth.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Washingtonia. 

People can grow them in 7B in places like New Mexico with their dry winters.  Here in Oregon with wet winters they're toast in 8B and 9A, it isn't until you get to Zone 9B in Southern Oregon that long term Washingtonia start to make an appearance.

I think the same can be said for various Brahea species.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I think the same can be said for various Brahea species.

What do you think of Brahea armata here in the Willamette Valley?  Got a bunch of those germinating....

12 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

What do you think of Brahea armata here in the Willamette Valley?  Got a bunch of those germinating....

Trialing the first one I was able to get ahold of, it's about 2' tall.  Planted it in spring and its doing ok, 4 fronds so far but when one opens another dies.  Apparently the owner of Raintree Tropical has a big one at his house that's doing well., I think south facing on a slope if I remember correctly.  I have also seen another one on a farm around Newberg that looked good, the date palms planted with it were toast after last winter (obviously).

I'm tempted to cover mine to try and keep it dry.  From what I've read Brahea edulis does better in the PNW, but those are a little more difficult to get.

• Like 1

Hey, I'm glad someone asked this! Because I've been wondering the same thing.

I've assumed drier is better if it drops below freezing and will help add to tolerance? Specifically for something like a trachycarpus fortunei?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part that the one I have planted will have any sort of long term viability. My climate is fairly similar to Albuquerque. Near identical rainfall, high desert, and 7b growing zone(not official just doing the math from present day back 30 years because again, wishful thinking). We do get slightly colder at night by about 3 degrees but besides that its a pretty good match.

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ColdBonsai said:

Hey, I'm glad someone asked this! Because I've been wondering the same thing.

I've assumed drier is better if it drops below freezing and will help add to tolerance? Specifically for something like a trachycarpus fortunei?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part that the one I have planted will have any sort of long term viability in my climate which is fairly similar to Albuquerque. Near identical rainfall,  7b growing zone(not official just doing the math from present day back 30 years because again, wishful thinking). We do get slightly colder at night by i think 3 degrees but besides that its a pretty good match.

It will certainly help a trachy a lot to keep it drier in cold but absolute cold temps below 10F may still damage/kill.  The wet really contributes to fungus growth which will kill the spear once the tissue suffers from the cold damage.  So drier will limit spear pull/rot/

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F