IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix Purpurea? Let's see yours!

BayAndroid

1 hour ago, BayAndroid said:

I've been trying to grow one here, but they're pretty tender to my microclimate. But I 100% agree, it's like people just don't know about these.. They're so awesome though. 

For a while I wanted to grow one of these close to the ocean in SF, but the few Archontophoenix nearby always look very trashed from the coastal wind and I moved on without attempting. Still my favorite species of the genus though, very beautiful.

• Like 1

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

I believe from what I have seen the purpurea does not have the same gleam as those California specimens. That stated, the Archontophoenix does well (specimens down the street pictured before):471AAD1C-4C44-43B5-B4E6-4252425EBD27.thumb.jpeg.314d26f0bd96f8171f6e8f331e9397bf.jpeg

• Like 4

What you look for is what is looking

1 hour ago, Rivera said:

For a while I wanted to grow one of these close to the ocean in SF, but the few Archontophoenix nearby always look very trashed from the coastal wind and I moved on without attempting. Still my favorite species of the genus though, very beautiful.

Yeah, the lack of frost comes with a different price. Those winds would definitely beat up a slow Archontophoenix. I'm always looking for uniquely protective spots where a very sensitive palm could be planted *just for fun* when I am out and about. You'd need like 3 concrete walls surrounding it with a little, but not too much sun. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

They are awesome but require the right conditions in Socal to truly shine. Right now I’m focusing on building canopy first in my new garden then adding some in as here they show off better color in some shade specifically inland where I am.

A leaf just fell off. I’m surprised how well it’s doing considering how cold and wet our winter was. 

IMG_3466.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Well today I caved in and carefully ripped off the oldest branch that was partly green and tatty.

Wow, We are starting to see that color now on this side of the crownshaft.

How is everybody elses A. Purpurea doing?

1a.jpg

1aa.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:58 PM, byuind said:

Has anyone grown these in North Florida? Winters are cooler… I’m wondering if they had shade how they would do overall 

Trying in Panama City, just got my first hint of purple. Almost 2 years old. 

IMG_2633.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, PalmCode said:

Quick update on mine. New growth spear finally opening up and looking healthy...

a20231226_103251.jpg

Yours is Definitely enjoying your mild climate. mine is quite beat up from wind, I moved it to a more sheltered location and it's recovering slowly.

I planted a small one earlier this year, it just slowly declined all summer, didn’t seem to matter how much water I gave it, it eventually gave out and died late summer. At the same time I planted a small Archontophoenix ‘teracarpa’ that did much better, it’s still alive. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

1 hour ago, Brandon39.5 said:

Yours is Definitely enjoying your mild climate. mine is quite beat up from wind, I moved it to a more sheltered location and it's recovering slowly.

Apparently these palms seem to enjoy a more mild climate. Yours should be able to handle the wind when it recovers and gets bigger. 

Got a couple of mature ones now, not a great palm for FL. No real color and difficult.  Save that spot for some much better palms lol. Other kings do far better here.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

19 hours ago, redant said:

Got a couple of mature ones now, not a great palm for FL. No real color and difficult.  Save that spot for some much better palms lol. Other kings do far better here.

Not the best for FL. A. tuckeri probably is the best for S Fl

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 1:30 AM, PalmCode said:

Apparently these palms seem to enjoy a more mild climate. Yours should be able to handle the wind when it recovers and gets bigger. 

I hope so! I will plant it in the ground in September I reckon. It won't like my hot summers. In September soil is still warm and temps start to decrease slowly. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on mine after being in the ground for over one year now. Good growth over the summer time.

a20240327_122210[1].jpg

Edited by PalmCode
  • Like 3