IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing Rhapis Excelsa or Humilis in Zone 8?

DAVEinMB

I'm in 8b and am mulling over the idea of adding some rhapis to my landscaping. Is it worth a shot or a waste of time? Most winters here are 9a+

As always many thanks

I tried a decent size potted clump right up against my house with deep mulch in 8a.  If/when they had any spear pull, the stem would die completely to the ground.  They are weirdly hollow.  They died down and came back a couple of years from the roots/runners but stayed really small.  Kind of like a tiny palm ground cover, but would get smaller each year. I dug up what was left of the clump and put it in a pot, and now bring it in when it is forecast to be below 20.  It is much happier.  Might have a few more winters between when it isn't killed to the ground for you in 8b and do better?

I observed in my neighborhood back home in zone 8b Northwest FL that the larger stems would get killed back in a colder winter, but it was always coming back at the base and/or shorter stems would survive. In milder winters (maybe mid to low 20's) no stems were lost and cosmetic damage was anything from moderate to practically none.  I think it would function well in 8b with protection or a good microclimate.

Edited by Matthew92
  • Like 1

In Gulf Coast 8B, I have an R. excelsa up against the house, eastern exposure. It was about 5 feet tall in 2017 when I planted it. That winter, we were expecting temperatures below 20 and, in ignorance, I wrapped it in plastic. Temperatures bottomed out at 17 F. It died to the ground. It has since resprouted and reached the size it was when I bought it three years ago. It gets a LOT of water coming off the roof where it's positioned, but it doesn't seem to mind. To my eye it's one of the most elegant palms for a foundation planting in the shade.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2

Rhapis wont do well in 8a but a warmer 8b in a protected area will do the trick. The more coverage overhead the better. Heavy Frost or ice will nuke them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the input everyone, the responses were more positive than I expected for giving it a shot. 

I think I have a place it would work well

On 7/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, DAVEinMB said:

@Joe NC were you trying humilis or excelsa?

I have excelsa, and found it for really cheap at a local plant sale (why I gave it a shot).  I would try humilis if I ever bumble across it, as it ia supposed to be hardier.

• Like 1

I have R. multifida and R. excelsa doing good in the ground next to the house. I think the important thing, like everyone else has said, is to get it up close to a south facing wall. Mine have come back fine from 8F. Three growing seasons later, and you can't tell anything ever happened. Canes seem to die below 20F. Moving blankets can be used as good protection.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Wow 8f is impressive.

I have a 3g plant on the way, I'm planning on planting it next to some chamaedorea in the back of the house. The area is in a nice protected cove that is almost completely protected on all sides. I have California elephant ears planted alongside the chamaedorea and this past winter they didn't completely defoliate - pic below. 

Excelsa will be planted just to the right of the elephant ears. 

20200727_113452.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I have a 3g plant on the way, I'm planning on planting it next to some chamaedorea in the back of the house.

That'll be perfect.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F