IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Vietnam when it could be

sgvcns

On 4/23/2020 at 1:21 PM, sgvcns said:

The forest it was in was beautiful.

Did I mention how wet it was?

P1020289.thumb.JPG.41604d640cb83cb5bbe68225ac481076.JPG

P1020290.thumb.JPG.2ed6caf499bbfe2698db6973e02388a0.JPG

P1020291.thumb.JPG.ba732581c3e77d366f8f7e0d7b296f4d.JPG

The last photo my camera ever took. The wet killed it. Luckily the sun was coming out as I wasn't sure how going down the muddy hill would end up(on my arse it turned out)

It was treacherous enough without the rain.

P1020292.thumb.JPG.0ddf40bcd70ab9ffee5033e1d3ae471a.JPG

Getting out of the forest caused a bit of commotion.

Apparently foreigners are not allowed here and so local police "citizens" were very keen to have a wee chat. This is hill tribe country near the Laos border and so foreigners are treated with suspicion. They would have had to deal with lots of American bombing etc as it is near the Ho Chi Minh trail.

Also some mention of land mines and I did see a strange fenced area that made me cautious.

The driver just told them I liked looking at the countryside and back to Hue with full pockets.

The rest of the trip was relaxing in Hanoi and a few days is Singapore on the way home.

And DURIAN

Cheers

Steve

Yes, this part of the world saw such great horror and to some it's still very raw and real. Once you leave the designated tourist areas (which us palm people always tend to do) and start clambering through forest trails that only locals know about, suspicions are so easily raised. Especially along the Ho Chi Minh trail which is off the beaten track. Laos is reportedly full of unexploded ordinance and Vietnam does have areas as well. Even in some of the more tourist oriented areas there are signs saying to stick to the path due to unexploded ordinance. They always seem to be around beautiful palm trees that need photographing. My wife was very sure to tell me about signs that I'd already seen and noted when in Nam. Even I wouldn't leave the path when there are warning signs around, no matter what palm is growing just out of reach of the path.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone

Like I said I have been Vietnam palming many times and I do not agree with what you say.

I have travelled the border from Dalat to Ninh Binh within 300m of the border in places.

Laos is indeed full of bombs especially the Annamites where the Ho Chi Minh trail is west of Hue.

The elevated 4 lane highway that is being built in this area to extract timber back to Vietnam will clear areas more.

As far as people being suspicious off the beaten track that is not something I have really experienced. From illegal loggers coming down paths dragging wood to people walking the remote jungle I have been only met with smiles. Most people who lived through the war are dead and the ones I have met(including a 90 year old at a beer hoi place in Vinh) are nothing but welcoming and curious. The general population have moved on and are more concerned by the Chinese setting up offshore.

Maybe you should head back a second time and get to know some locals as I have.

It was an insight to discuss with Hau his "reeducation times"after the fall of Saigon.

Would love to hear of the areas off the beaten track you travelled.

I've been to villages where the children ran frightened from a big white guy and his missus.

Most of the bombed areas are regrowth in my experience and that especially concerns the areas of American conflict north like Khe Sanh and Hamburger Hill etc.

Wonderful road north on the western HCM highway getting into  Phong Nha but the forest is only good in patches.

The N ban day was more humorous than anything and my safeguard is stick to rocks if in doubt. Certainly the firewood cutter I met on the track hardly gave me a look.

End of rant but my advice is one trip does not always give an informed outlook.

Steve

I've never run into any suspicious or defensive people either in Vietnam, but my wife is from Saigon.  And other than Saigon I've only been to Dalat, and Nha Trong.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, sgvcns said:

Tyrone

Like I said I have been Vietnam palming many times and I do not agree with what you say.

I have travelled the border from Dalat to Ninh Binh within 300m of the border in places.

Laos is indeed full of bombs especially the Annamites where the Ho Chi Minh trail is west of Hue.

The elevated 4 lane highway that is being built in this area to extract timber back to Vietnam will clear areas more.

As far as people being suspicious off the beaten track that is not something I have really experienced. From illegal loggers coming down paths dragging wood to people walking the remote jungle I have been only met with smiles. Most people who lived through the war are dead and the ones I have met(including a 90 year old at a beer hoi place in Vinh) are nothing but welcoming and curious. The general population have moved on and are more concerned by the Chinese setting up offshore.

Maybe you should head back a second time and get to know some locals as I have.

It was an insight to discuss with Hau his "reeducation times"after the fall of Saigon.

Would love to hear of the areas off the beaten track you travelled.

I've been to villages where the children ran frightened from a big white guy and his missus.

Most of the bombed areas are regrowth in my experience and that especially concerns the areas of American conflict north like Khe Sanh and Hamburger Hill etc.

Wonderful road north on the western HCM highway getting into  Phong Nha but the forest is only good in patches.

The N ban day was more humorous than anything and my safeguard is stick to rocks if in doubt. Certainly the firewood cutter I met on the track hardly gave me a look.

End of rant but my advice is one trip does not always give an informed outlook.

Steve

I wasn’t having a go at you Steve.

I didn’t meet any unfriendly people in Vietnam. They are a very friendly accommodating people in my experience.

It stands to reason though that foreigners who turn up in non tourist areas may raise questions. That’s all.

I did come across places in Vietnam that were signposted saying to stick to the paths due to unexploded ordinance. Laos being one of the most bombed places on earth is meant to have a lot of unexploded ordinance but I’ve never been there myself. The forest there is meant to be more intact than Vietnam but probably more risky to explore because of that.

Anyway I enjoyed Vietnam and would definitely go back. I’m glad you love it too. Your info has been very informative.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone

I didn't feel attacked by any means.

I believe what you said was just wrong. Vietnamese are not traumatised nor suspicious. The main worry is getting drinking with locals and there homemade rice wine. That's dangerous.

Yes Laos is a problem but there is no access to tourists in these areas. I have been to Laos and would be back if these areas are opened(unlikely anytime soon).

Steve

The guide we took to Bach Ma was telling us about a two day walk further into the mountains near the Laos border that we could have done that was much more off the track where we could see more wildlife. He said though that the locals were not that used to tourists in that area and it was best to do that with a guide. As we were with others on our trip who weren’t even keen to do Bach Ma and our time was tight that trip was not possible.

Yes the Vietnamese people are very happy friendly people. They’re incredibly resilient, hard working people. Age wise the population is mostly young. They have a keen sense of responsibility to look after the family, old and young, which is very commendable. 

I worked for some time with a Vietnamese man who came out from Saigon as a boat person after the war. He didn’t appear to be traumatised but what he went through was pretty awful. When in Saigon we met up with a friend who had the same experience and grew up in Perth then went back and is living there again. They’re very resilient people. Very unassuming humble people but tough at the same time. 

Hopefully one day Laos can have it’s rainforests explored. Probably many new species in there.